Confererate Super Navy

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

willgamer

Confererate Super Navy

Post by willgamer »

I'm in March of '63 in my Union game, normal difficulty.

I've kept beween 15-20 SUPPLIED cruisers in A02 attempting to intercept raiders.

Early on results: 3 raiders sunk in Mar. '62, 1 sunk in May, 1 sunk in Aug.

Since then, the remaining 7 raiders have started scoring increasingly amazing results, almost always inflicting max Union pp loss while collecting supplies.

Plus, in the last 3-4 months, they have begun sinking a cruiser/turn.[X(]

Is it WAD that Confederate raiders can gain "legendary" status in a relatively short period of time, or just luck?![&:]

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
ryan1488

RE: Confererate Super Navy

Post by ryan1488 »

ive gone almost a whole game without sinking any, and last night i sank one on the first turn.  seems pretty random.
Treefrog

Post by Treefrog »

I think the law of large numbers is in effect here.

Perhaps herwin, our computer professor, could offer an informed, intelligent opinion (as opposed to my more peasant like approach).
"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Treefrog

Perhaps herwin, our computer professor, could offer an informed, intelligent opinion (as opposed to my more peasant like approach).

Yes, I'd love to hear from him. [:)]

My concern is the dark suspicion that raider experience grows unreasonably from a few early successes.[8|]

Can anyone confirm, at normal difficulty of higher, that any number of cruisers can sink 10+ raiders in a full game?
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

I have 3 pbem games worth of raider info. 1 that we decided to call at the end of Aug 1864, and 2 ongoing games.

My friend and i both decided that the union must send out Ships to hunt down down the raiders. And you can see by the screen shots it seems to bear fruit.

We also send our best rated naval leaders. But is seems the best thing to have is luck. As you will notice, Semmes, was lost at sea in 2 out of three matches so far.

I hope this helps a little to decide what choices to make. Maybe others players can add some screen shots.

Attachments
allraid.jpg
allraid.jpg (136.27 KiB) Viewed 171 times
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

I have 3 pbem games worth of raider info. 1 that we decided to call at the end of Aug 1864, and 2 ongoing games.

My friend and i both decided that the union must send out Ships to hunt down down the raiders. And you can see by the screen shots it seems to bear fruit.

We also send our best rated naval leaders. But is seems the best thing to have is luck.

Thanks for the screen shots.[:)]

It's a few months later in my game and, after more cruisers joined up in A02, suddenly 2 raiders were sunk. [:D]

So I'm going with the luck and large numbers effect to explain results that are highly random! [8D]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
hgilmer

Post by hgilmer »

1 game in which the raiders were dropping like flies.  This game I am in I have 6 cruisers and 1 ironclad up there and they aren't even chasing.
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

6 cruisers isnt much. Try 25-30 cruisers under good naval leaders.
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

Send Grant. Grant is the key.
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Berkut, this forum is set up to help people learn this game. Grant has a naval rating of 1. What in the world will turn you into a human being? You just love to throw out crap...E-mailing you some chill pills. Take 2 before bed...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Berkut, this forum is set up to help people learn this game. Grant has a naval rating of 1. What in the world will turn you into a human being? You just love to throw out crap...E-mailing you some chill pills. Take 2 before bed...

[8D]
Jon

Lighten up Pyle, you really cannot spare any of those pills. [:)]
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Jan I thought Gary maxed out the game at 12 raiders, I guess I missed this, when did this change? Or is this a Joel question, hell he's going on vacation today, lucky guy, for two weeks...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Ok Berkut, I'll drink to that...lol...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
hgilmer

Post by hgilmer »

But as I said, I had maybe 4-5 up there one game and was getting kills or chases almost every turn to the point he had no more raiders.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

In a pinch, i've placed an army col. in charge of the river gunboats. This was when illness, storms at sea and resignations gutted the Union naval officers. After a few months it got better.
I must admit the thought of Grant in charge of a fleet of ships did not cross my mind. [>:]
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Jan I thought Gary maxed out the game at 12 raiders, I guess I missed this, when did this change? Or is this a Joel question, hell he's going on vacation today, lucky guy, for two weeks...

[8D]
Jon

I will check the code again - its been a while for me. I was talking about cruisers though - not raiders - but maybe that just means I made an even bigger fool out of myself :)
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

As far as I can tell in code the limit is 60 raiders - meaning there is no real limit as thats more than can be build. Maybe Joel knows if there is or is meant to be a limit.
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Treefrog

I saw the same thing and wondered, too. 2x3 games show unusual runs of results, which causes me to doubt their RNG.

If you're interested in the issue, keep a record and post it here.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Don't know why they are sinking US warships. But remember that the raiders pretty much killed off the US merchant fleet and from what I've read it never recovered.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”