Building Graphics

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

sfinlay

Building Graphics

Post by sfinlay »

Couple of questions :

Where are the graphics files for the various buildings in the game, located ?
If I wanted to change them would it just be a case of locating the said file/files, make changes and then re-save them ?

Is it possible to add new graphics for certain building types ? as opposed to changing those already present ?

Thank you
simovitch

RE: Building Graphics

Post by simovitch »

Yes to all of your questions.

The bitmap files for buildings are all located in each games root directory. one file for each zoom level.

There are 2 corresponding sets, one for snow and one for no snow. The snow sets are called "snowterrain3d.bmp" etc.

The non-snow files are:

Attachments
terrainsprites.jpg
terrainsprites.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 215 times
simovitch

sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

Ahh ! excellent.
However, does it mean that we are limited to one .bmp's worth of graphics per zoom level ? as there is only one Terrain3d.bmp etc ?
I was thinking along the lines of having alot of different buildings  that could be randomely displayed (simply to add variation) but can't see how it could be done.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

In the map editor you can cycle through six different styles per terrain type. For instance there are six different styles of suburb, City, etc.

A good mapmaker will take the extra time to make sure there are not too many duplicate styles adjacent to each other.
simovitch

Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

I've wondered if a good code person couldn't revision things so we could go with 12 builidngs/ villages/etc instead of the current 6. Right now the only way to do things is alternate terrain.bmps and that would still limit one to 6 types per map. Wonder if that has ever been discussed/looked at?
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

Hey Ladmo, how goes it ?  Yes it would be great if more buildings could be added per map. Maybe some of the programmers could tell us if it is feasible ? I seem to remember you sending me some buildings you "created",  (think they were based on some other game) very nice they were to.
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Yeah, Scotsman,

We gave a good shot at trying to get this graphics thing going some months/yrs back. Good to hear from you again.

I have alway thought there must be something in the code to control how many "objects" across are on a bmp. If we could bump that up by x2 or x3, we really could get some serious diversity into our battlefields. Another idea I floated some time back was a little house cleaning on existing battlefields. Having been in desert climates most of my life, I can assure you there are varieties of pine trees and cottonwoods that grow there. Also, right now we cannot use the industrial buildings in desert mode. Having lived in the desert (with a horse with no name) I can promise every one that both light and heavy industry do go on there. I think there are combination terrains that could be made. There are other terrain features which could be cross utilized for better variety.

Thus far, my ideas have not been met with unmixed delight. Maybe the winds will change soon. A lot is happening with this game. Maybe the time will come for one or two little other ideas.

Best Wishes to you, Scotsman,

Ladmo
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

As a cartographer by trade, more options on the maps can only be a good thing!

Jason Petho

Dumnorix

Post by Dumnorix »

Yes Jason
I need 500% more variants and / or many new terraintyps for my mod JTCS meets PG3D. Please make this with v.1.04 !

Thanks H.Balck
dgk196

Post by dgk196 »

Boy, wouldn't it be neat if you could cut and paste actual pictures, then run it through a 'paint program' to make it the right file type and size and then just add it to the game?

Of course, some would get carried away with it.....

Such as signing their map by placing an image of the empire state building in the middle of Stalingrad! Can't take your eyes of them for even one minute!

Dennis [;)]
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Dennis,

I cut and pasted a real photo of the Brandenburg Gate onto the Terrain.bmp for a Fall of Berlin Scenario I once made. If you could find enough photos from the right downwards angle, it can be done. A little increase in contrast and Bob's your uncle. The art is the easy part. The changing the program to accept new or more is thing we need a genius working on. Unfortunately, I'm an idiot...

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”