Squad Leader incorporation into JTCS

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

marcbarker

Squad Leader incorporation into JTCS

Post by marcbarker »

Years ago I toyed with the PDT files and creating Squads, Individual Weapons (Top Level). and created a few scenarios for these. Would there be a possibility of incorporating something like this down the road? I like many others gravitated towrds talonsoft games for one simple reason, fun to play, design capability, and smacks vaguely of Squad Leader. How many of you did get interested in the electronic side after a sting with ASL?
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
andym

RE: Squad Leader incorporation into JTCS

Post by andym »

Oooooo an electronic version of ASL would be top of my list!
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

you know they tried the squad leader some years ago but it kept crashing on the first scenario so they dropped it. Think about it though. squads and half squads.

Company = Squad
Battalion = Company
Regiiment = Battalion
Division = Regiment
Corps = Division
Army = Coprps

would be a massive undertaking but it could be done. edit the oob's to rlect the strength
modify the pdt to reflect the weapons the squad uses
modify map scale

for example you have a battery of 105's - individual guns, with a break down factor
armor going throuh terrain with a disable function etc.

the possibilities are there with this game engine. Like I said this would be a great mod for the CS series or even yet the old talonsoft west front east front rising sun. it is more open to mod then Matrix Release.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

That sounds like Steel Panthers.  I'm not familiar with Squad Leader.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

originally it was a board war game with 3 exansions. Then more rules that turned it into advanced squad leader. then more modules and more boards, then the deluxe squad leader with micro armor. it went on and on. In a nut shell alot of counters, alot of boards not enough money. Then there were publications dedicated to it. Third party modules. This is a very popular game I still have my original purple box edition. I use the scenarios as a base when designing scenarios for the JTCS stuff.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: barker
Years ago I toyed with the PDT files and creating Squads, Individual Weapons (Top Level). and created a few scenarios for these. Would there be a possibility of incorporating something like this down the road? I like many others gravitated towrds talonsoft games for one simple reason, fun to play, design capability, and smacks vaguely of Squad Leader. How many of you did get interested in the electronic side after a sting with ASL?

Check out this before you try to make changes to a platoon level game:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tiller/squadbattles.htm

I think Mr. Tiller already covers it nicely. [:)]

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

the point is not buying another game but redefining the one that i have. The fun of these types of games is doing the modding, then seeing it actually work. It is a great feeling to see that happen.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
andym

Post by andym »

Have a look at Heroes of Stalingrad.

tt.asp?forumid=185
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
osiris_slith

Post by osiris_slith »

HI

If I were you I would download Steel panthers world at war edition if you want squad battles and trust me you will have your fill..and the AI is pretty sharp in that one..I think you can download SPWAW for free but to get the expansion packs you have to pay and its completely worth it..

Rene
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

the point is not buying another game but redefining the one that i have. The fun of these types of games is doing the modding, then seeing it actually work. It is a great feeling to see that happen.

Sorry, I misunderstood your intention.
I will bite my tongue and wish you luck with your mod.

Ed

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I have steel panthers....good game but I like the campaign series the best
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

O.K., I'll bite.
I don't want the game I've played for almost ten years "redefined".
If that is how you get your jollies that is O.K. by me. I just don't want someone to latch onto your ideas to incorporate them into a game that needs very little change and much refinement.

As I said before, good luck with your project. I still suggest you buy Squad Battles. It is Squal Leader without all the extra coding and scale "redefining", and senseless work.

[:)]
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I did not ask you to mod anything...I would like the ability to mod something if I like....I bought the game....I don't play online with it..Me and my boys play on our lan...so if I can make things seem better for them on the learning aspect and have fun playing so be it....I am not modding anything to please you or to get your approval. I just want the ability to mod or not to mod....hmmmmmmmm to mod or not to mod...that is the question....
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”