Have You Created a Mod - Host It at The Macon Armory!

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, campaign design and general game modding. You can also post your scenarios and modifications here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

bschulte1978

Have You Created a Mod - Host It at The Macon Armory!

Post by bschulte1978 »

I know this one is probably a bit early, but I wanted to encourage modders to submit any and all creations to the new Macon Armory, my GGWBTS modding site. I already host mods for the HPS Sims Civil War games, Mad Minute Games' Take Command Series, AGEod's ACW, and Forge of Freedom, so I'm pretty experienced in this department. Feel free to ask questions via the contact form at the bottom of the main page. I look forward to seeing what this modding community can do! And by all means pass the word to other modders if they haven't yet seen this message. I'm downloading my own copy of GGWBTS presently, and I hope to start digging into the game this weekend.
Bo Rearguard

RE: Have You Created a Mod - Host It at The Macon Armory!

Post by Bo Rearguard »

I've been tinkering a bit with the Nato unit artwork files, but it's still a work in progress...

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Very nice!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
bschulte1978

Post by bschulte1978 »

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

I've been tinkering a bit with the Nato unit artwork files, but it's still a work in progress...

Looks good! When you finish it, I'd be happy to host a copy. [:)]
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Thanks guys...it's getting there.

Here's the unit key so far. I'm not entirely sold on using the tent symbol for leaders as it makes the map look a bit like a giant National Park campsite guide...but whatever symbol it is, is gonna be repeated a lot. [;)]

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
bigus

Post by bigus »

Looks good Bo! Looking foward to using them ingame. The HQ symbols don't look that bad.

Bigus
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

They're nice but the inf, militia and cav icons (flags in fact) are "out of place" imho, because then the symbols are not visually associated to the unit types... Some infantryman/cavalry man outline (like the others unit types) would fit much better - with a visual tag for militia (but I don't have any idea curently lol).
For leaders, why not using the single star symbol you plan to use for militia ?
PDF
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Thanks guys...it's pretty much done. I eventually ended up changing the supply unit though . The first one with the crates just didn't show up well in smaller permutations.

Image This one seems to read a bit better.

PDiFolco--I thought about using infantry silhouettes, but visually they're isn't much to differentiate a militia silhouette from regular infantry. Even more so for cavalry and mounted units. (Since they're both on a horse) The distinction becomes even more blurred when you have a large number of units packed in one region like the Union often does. Then these graphics start to get pretty small.....

My thinking was that the different type flags would make it obvious at a glance as to which units are the crack infantry and cavalry and which are the militia greenhorns even when they're tiny and cramped. Also makes the veterans look more impressive since they're earned the honor of bearing the "colors". [:D]

Another idea I was toying with was using a flag on a staff to represent leaders. But maybe that would be overload on flags....

tedhealy

Post by tedhealy »

I know what I likes and I likes what I see [&o]  Adds a splash of much needed bright and distinct color to the map.

bigus

Post by bigus »

I like the new HQ icons. What else do you have for Vet Infantry.

When can we expect this to be released?

Bigus
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

They look really sharp! [&o] Damn nice work.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

I've sent a PM to bschulte if he's still interested in hosting the mod.[:)]

The place these files will reside is in the GGWBTS/dat/art/units folder. What they'll replace are a series of targa (*tga) art files for the Nato style units. So, you'll have to set your game preferences to Nato units to use them. Unfortunately, the game uses only one set of naval unit art, so if you wish to retain the original 3-D naval units which came with the game, you'll have to back those files up...which is a good idea anyway.[:D]

I'm thinking the flag idea isn't too bad for leader units. However, it might be best to go with the stars and bars for the Confederates. Like on the real battlefield the Confederate 'Jack' just looks too much like the Stars and Stripes...

Pford

Post by Pford »

Nice work. Yes, go with the Stars & Bars. Though, personally, I'm partial to the tents.
Cheers.
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

I still dislike the flags, sorry ! [:o] But the rest is really cool and nice.
Clearly militia vs inf and mounted vs cav should be visually stunningly different : what about having the untrained units types with black silhouette, and the trained ones with white one, or with a white star added ? The star icon for untrained units is really hurting my intuition.
 Another nitpicky point:  Transport and Cruisers are too much alike (ok there's 1 additional mast..), I would have transport ship icon made much smaller to avoid any confusion.
PDF
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Bo,

I think it is great you have put in the work to give us an alternate visual graphic. You mention that maybe there is "too much with the flags".

So, i looked around and found some guidons that might help you decide where to go with your wonderful project.

The crossed rifles have been the symbol for the infantry. Placed on a blue or gray background might work.

The Cavalry guidon looks to need the red over the white fields.

Artillery, if you choose, could use the crossed cannons over a red field.

HQ guidons are the same fields as the branch of service.

I'm just trying to help you with some choices.
Thanks again for all your time and effort in making them. I have nowhere the artistic flare that you and many others have. Keep up the good work.

Attachments
guidon.jpg
guidon.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 422 times
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
bschulte1978

Post by bschulte1978 »

Guys,

My apologies.  This mod could haave been hosted as soon as June 28, but I didn't see Bo's PM until today.  I've let him know how to get it to me and it should be posted as soon as I get it.  If anyone else has a mod, send them my way.  Feel free to PM me or contact me via the form on the front page at the Macon Armory.
lagnaf

Post by lagnaf »

I went to the Macon Armory site and I did not find a MOD that was clearly identified as the "symbols" MOD. I'm new to this and I hesitate to apply MODS when I really don't know what it is give me or is taking away from me. I thought the "flags" idea was a good one and for now that's what I want, but when I looked at the MODS available, it looked I would need to modify how the game was played in general, like the Winter attrition modification. I don't know if I want or need that. Since I'm still learning the game in general, I really don't want to "modify" too much.

I thing he flags will help a newbie like me

Sam
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
GShock

Post by GShock »

Got to use these definitely. [8D]
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”