My Appendix is missing!

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Greybriar

My Appendix is missing!

Post by Greybriar »

I recently purchased the retail boxed version of Forge of Freedom. One of the main reasons I bought it instead of the Downloaded variety was to obtain a printed paper manual in addition to the PDF version. At first I was quite pleased to see the nearly 200 page manual that was included in the retail game's CD hard case. However, when I compared the PDF version of the manual to the printed paper manual, I discovered that the 60+ page Appendix was missing from the paper version. [:(]

Since I am one of those gamers that prefers to have a printed paper manual available while I am playing a game--especially a game like Forge of Freedom!--sixty pages of critical game information not being at my fingertips was a devastating blow. I would have printed it out myself, but the cost of the printer cartridges necessary to print the complete manual would have exceeded the price of the game. Besides, the quality of the finished work would not not have been up to the standard of a professional printer's product.

Trying to be objective, I considered the situation from a couple of other angles. First of all, I have learned from sources in the past that the printer's work takes the longest time to complete. As a result, the finished manual may be out of date by the time it is submitted for inclusion in a game's retail box.

Secondly, the space limitations due to the diminutive physical size of today's retail PC game boxes/cases/containers necessitate that documentation be minimalized. This results in manuals that are shrunk down to the point that they are barely legible (particularly when some hotshot thinks an outlandish color combination is just too k3wl!). Looking at the space available, there would not have been room for the Forge of Freedom manual in the retail CD hard case if it had contained an additional 60+ page Appendix.

Finally, I realize that including a printed paper manual with a game is an expensive proposition. But that is why I paid more for the game to begin with than many other games sell for, although admittedly a number of those *other* games are not of a comparable quality.

So I was wondering what the solution is to this dilemma that affects me and other gamers who prefer printed paper manuals and other documentation? [&:]
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
ericbabe

RE: My Appendix is missing!

Post by ericbabe »

The limit on the print manual from the printer was 200 pages.
Greybriar

RE: My Appendix is missing!

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

The limit on the print manual from the printer was 200 pages.

*sigh* Retailers set limitations on the size of retail game boxes and still won't put most PC games on their shelves.

Now you tell me printers are putting limits on how thick game manuals can be. That's disgusting. [:(]
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”