Naval Movement

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

BruceAZ

Naval Movement

Post by BruceAZ »

I am starting a new game after winning my first campaign. I really enjoy the game.

My first game (and various starts and stops) I was able to move the various fleets and blockcade squadrons freely between sea zones during each turn. I used them as a blockading force and chase the runners.

This new game I cannot get them to move at all. I assume there is some button or switch I failed to click when I started the current campaign. I have checked the manual but cannot seem to find the right answer.

Any help is appreciated.

Recon
Semper Fi
jkBluesman

RE: Naval Movement

Post by jkBluesman »

Did you by accident still have rail movement on?
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
BruceAZ

Post by BruceAZ »

No. Rail movement was off. I am sure its something that I left un-checked. For the life of me, can't seem to find it!
jkBluesman

Post by jkBluesman »

Did you have auto-movement on?
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
Joram

Post by Joram »

I know you already said it wasn't this but 99% of the time it's rail movement left on from a previous move.  Might want to try toggling it just in case.  I can't think of any other circumstances other than storms at sea that would prevent a naval unit from moving. 

BruceAZ

Post by BruceAZ »

Thanks, but no - I checked this.

I am going to reload the software as maybe I have a glitch somewhere.

Recon
Semper Fi
Joram

Post by Joram »

If that doesn't work, feel free to post a save game and I can take a look at it perhaps?
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Apologies for seeming to hijack this thread but this concerns naval movement and it did not seem worthwhile to start a new one.

How does one go about getting Fleets into the river system?  I can build gunboats for riverine operations but there are no inland ports for repairs and none of my inland shipyards allow for building Fleet containers.

Checked the manual and the Forum without getting answers so any guidance is appreciated.
Joram

Post by Joram »

You can't Randomizer.  River movement is abstracted in that you get to move an extra zone if you move (entirely?) along a river.  Gunboats can only be in river provinces and represent those river boats strong enough to lend a hand against the forts.  Supply and transport as I said are abstracted but I think rivers also count as a viable way to get back to a supply source.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Joram, thanks for that. Cheers.
BruceAZ

Post by BruceAZ »

Silly me!

It was "Advanced Supply." The fleets will not operate because of the starting supply problem for the North. Eventually they will but not initially.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Recon
Semper Fi
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Strange. I always play with advanced supply but can't recall it ever impacting on fleet movement.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”