Single-player board games?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ramcat

Single-player board games?

Post by Ramcat »

I'm looking for some single-player wargames. Nothing specifically, I'm just looking for some general recommendations, thanks in advance.
jimi3

RE: Single-player board games?

Post by jimi3 »

In the late 80s Victory Games released Ambush! with additional modules Move Out!, Purple Heart and Silver Star. These are based in Europe 1944-45. They also released Battle Hym with additional module Leatherneck based in the Pacific. Fantastic one player games that can be found on Ebay with some additional player made mods available. Unfortunatly, sometimes at a pretty high price. I think worth it. Then I got a computer........
Jim
Cheers, Jim
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Simple way to get you some samples is to provide a few links.

Here is one for the classic squad level game Ambush:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/265524
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Here is a link to my all time favorite solitaire board game Raid on St. Nazaire:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1425
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I could go on posting links all day, but it might be easier for you to go to Board Game Geeks and do some searching and perusing.
Hans

Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Actually, I found that most of the classic Avalon Hill board games played quite well solitare.  Over a period of about 10-12 years I purchased most of their releases and mostly just played single-player.  While it was hard to make grand plans far into the future or of course to surprise the enemy regularly, after each player turn (like chess) you look over the situation, see the opportunity and take it.  Most games played out reasonably well.  You in effect take advantage of your own mistakes.

One of the reasons many of us switched to computer games was to have an AI to fight instead of ourselves.  AI works fine to a point, but in general often those solitare games provided a better challenge then the poor AI so many companies put into their games.  I think a number of computer game players still occasionally play "hot seat" games aganst themselves instead of the AI for this reason.  Complaining about computer AI is one of our favorite things to do.

I did have the Ambush game mentioned above.  It wasn't bad and was worth having a bit of fun with, but for me it just couldn't take the place of the wargame classics.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
andym

Post by andym »

Ahh yogi,the AH Gettysburg was a classic!I still have my copy in the loft.
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
noxious

Post by noxious »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

... While it was hard to make grand plans far into the future or of course to surprise the enemy regularly, after each player turn (like chess) you look over the situation, see the opportunity and take it. Most games played out reasonably well. You in effect take advantage of your own mistakes.

One of the reasons many of us switched to computer games was to have an AI to fight instead of ourselves. AI works fine to a point, but in general often those solitare games provided a better challenge then the poor AI so many companies put into their games. I think a number of computer game players still occasionally play "hot seat" games aganst themselves instead of the AI for this reason. Complaining about computer AI is one of our favorite things to do.

Bingo. On the Money, Bullseye !!!

Most games of board Third Reich I played were solitaire, ditto with Second Front.
I also enjoyed a lot of Tac Air, Firepower and Flight Leader in solo play.
It's more conducive to what defines most grognards approach to gaming (I think) : being able to try all sorts of "what if" scenarios, and solo play on boardgames helped to do this as you didn't have to argue with your opponent, or at least, not in the same way as when you argue with yourself ;)
And the switch to computer wargaming...
Nice post, thank you

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Second Yogi's suggestion. I personally cherish the old Squad Leader game ( and following gamettes)
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Actually, I found that most of the classic Avalon Hill board games played quite well solitare.  Over a period of about 10-12 years I purchased most of their releases and mostly just played single-player.  While it was hard to make grand plans far into the future or of course to surprise the enemy regularly, after each player turn (like chess) you look over the situation, see the opportunity and take it.  Most games played out reasonably well.  You in effect take advantage of your own mistakes.

One of the reasons many of us switched to computer games was to have an AI to fight instead of ourselves.  AI works fine to a point, but in general often those solitare games provided a better challenge then the poor AI so many companies put into their games.  I think a number of computer game players still occasionally play "hot seat" games aganst themselves instead of the AI for this reason.  Complaining about computer AI is one of our favorite things to do.

I did have the Ambush game mentioned above.  It wasn't bad and was worth having a bit of fun with, but for me it just couldn't take the place of the wargame classics.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
Grell

Post by Grell »

I love playing Clash of Arms games solitaire. The "La Bataille" series is amazing.

Regards,

Greg
petdoc

Post by petdoc »

Dan Verrsen(?) Games - the Hornet Leader PC guy - just recently released a solo board game concerning Rommel (3 battles included I believe) that I just ordered. It is getting very good press at BGG (boardgame geek). They will also be releasing a game based on Alexander as well - that one has me stoked -
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

My favorite was StarFleet Battles! Woot! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Return to “General Discussion”