A new type of ghost unit?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

bradfordkay

A new type of ghost unit?

Post by bradfordkay »

In my PBEM vs Chez, I have sent an RN base force unit to Portland Roads. Due to his air strength in the area, the unit was sent in several trips via a Fast Transport TF. The whole unit is now in Portland Roads (according to the TOE) but there is still a fragment back in Cairns with no squads.

How did this occur?

How can I get rid of the fragment?

I tried to send another run of the FT TF, but the fragment still remains in Cairns. If there was a squad or piece of equipment too large to load onto my APDs, one would think that it would be listed in the fragment, but the fragment appears to be empty!
fair winds,
Brad
Azrael_111

RE: A new type of ghost unit?

Post by Azrael_111 »

Hey there Brad, have you looked at what the fragment contains? My bet would be the radar set only, I have seen this happen before, FTs do not load them I think.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Yeah, the radar sets included in the base forces don't load on anything smaller than an AK/AP.  Even an LST (capable of transporting a platoon of tanks) or an LSD can't carry it.
Bogo Mil

Post by Bogo Mil »

I have seen empty fragments several times, but they always disappeared in the next turn. If this one doesn't disappear, you might try to load it on a ship...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I have made that serious error several times.. If you move a unit with a radar set and the first group of ships cannot carry the entire unit, inevitably the radar gets left behind.
(Oh wait, this gets worse).
Later, I have tried to pick up that radar unit and even with an AK capable of 10000 capacity, the darned thing won't budge.
I have learned if I send the entire parent unit back and allow them to merge, you can then move the whole thing....

Pretty much sux![:D]

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I have made that serious error several times.. If you move a unit with a radar set and the first group of ships cannot carry the entire unit, inevitably the radar gets left behind.
(Oh wait, this gets worse).
Later, I have tried to pick up that radar unit and even with an AK capable of 10000 capacity, the darned thing won't budge.
I have learned if I send the entire parent unit back and allow them to merge, you can then move the whole thing....

Pretty much sux![:D]
Takes a lot of people to move that radar set... [:D]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Nope, the radar set is at Portland Roads, the fragment is empty - according to the unit information screen.

This was my first assumption - that the radar was too large for the shipping used, but it shows up as at the destination (the first convoy for this group was not a fast convoy as it contained a couple of smaller transports). The second and third trips were made by APDs only.

My last attempt was made by APDs in an attempt to pick up the empty portion of hte unit, but that didn't work.

Attached is a screenshot of the empty portion.

My next attempt will be to use a freigher with at least 400 capacity to pick up the remaining pieces... my only guess is that Major Webster has a personal collection of equipment that is as large as the radar unit...

Attachments
emptyunit.jpg
emptyunit.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 110 times
fair winds,
Brad
panda124c

Post by panda124c »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Nope, the radar set is at Portland Roads, the fragment is empty - according to the unit information screen.

This was my first assumption - that the radar was too large for the shipping used, but it shows up as at the destination (the first convoy for this group was not a fast convoy as it contained a couple of smaller transports). The second and third trips were made by APDs only.

My last attempt was made by APDs in an attempt to pick up the empty portion of hte unit, but that didn't work.

Attached is a screenshot of the empty portion.

My next attempt will be to use a freigher with at least 400 capacity to pick up the remaining pieces... my only guess is that Major Webster has a personal collection of equipment that is as large as the radar unit...

Camp Followers??????????[:-]
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

It does say Support Required: 1........wouldn't a camp follower be around 10? [:D]

I'm thinking the company chicken got left behind.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Have you tried toggling the TOE vs. Actual button on and off?

Since there is a support requirement, there is in fact something there -- it just isn't showing up.

Regards,
Feltan
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

Can you transport it with Dakotas to it's parent?
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Whatever it is, it was just picked up by a transport TF made up of small AKs so it should join its compadres soon - provided the one ship with this fragment aboard survives the trip!
fair winds,
Brad
Reg

Post by Reg »

9 supply points present. You might indeed be looking at Major Websters personal baggage train.....

(Support required = 1). Where are those dratted porters when you need them???

Gin Sling anyone???
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”