How do you use Artillery units?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

hbrsvl

How do you use Artillery units?

Post by hbrsvl »

Hi-This is a question I've had for some time. What use are these units? AFAIK, they need more support that then provide, something on the order of "support 22; support needed 24".

Why take up the shipping space to get them overseas?

Thanks for your input. Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
Bogo Mil

RE: How do you use Artillery units?

Post by Bogo Mil »

They inflict many casualities in combat.

This is not very useful in an attack with overwhelming superiority against a small base - one attack, and the enemy surrenders or flees. But if there is a prolonged battle with many attacks, having more artillery guns really really helps.

Defending artillery has the additional benefit, that many guns fire against unloading enemy ships. The real big guns (155 mm) even fire against bombardment task forces. But even in defense, the most important thing of artillery is that it causes huge losses to the enemy ground forces - especially if they do shock attacks.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

I agree.  Artillery is very useful in sieges for either the attacker or defender.  Artillery can significantly raise the disruption of opposing units.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
TenChiMato

Post by TenChiMato »

Also, the bigger, the better. For exemple, a 155mm battery can silence light artillery/mortar units switfly and for no loss (better range and firepower makes for very efficient counter battery)[8D]
hvymtl13

Post by hvymtl13 »

Even when your LCU's commit on attack, the arty shells the enemy positions and cause disruption, and losses. A Prep fire so to speak.
But for prolonged battles, like mentioned above, the dedicated artillery guns are very useful indeed.
saj42

Post by saj42 »

Regarding support, a shortage of 2 is nothing - check a typical Division - it could be almost 100 support squads short.
Several artillery and engineer units can easily be 'supported' by a baseforce. But put several Divs/Regts in a hex and you need an HQ to provide the required support.

In a prolonged seige I use the artillery units to continually bombard whilst my main LCUs are recovering fatigue/disruption between each deliberate attack.
Banner by rogueusmc
engineer

Post by engineer »

Some artillery units are equipped with anti-aircraft guns.  These units can give attacking aircraft a rough time. While small AA (20mm, 25mm, 40mm) don't appear to be eligible for bombardment, I've observed that some of the units with bigger guns are eligible to participate in bombardment attacks during combat. 

One question of my own.  I ended up in a ground battle with some of the Australian AT gun units involved and I don't think I could assign them to bombardment attacks.  Are they hard-coded only to fight AFV's?

niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

Regarding support, a shortage of 2 is nothing - check a typical Division - it could be almost 100 support squads short.
Several artillery and engineer units can easily be 'supported' by a baseforce. But put several Divs/Regts in a hex and you need an HQ to provide the required support.

In a prolonged seige I use the artillery units to continually bombard whilst my main LCUs are recovering fatigue/disruption between each deliberate attack.
Very true. I often use Air HQs to stand in for corp HQs when I'm short on support help.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
hvymtl13

Post by hvymtl13 »

AT guns are incapable of indirect fire. Even the vaunted 88 of germany which could elevate it's barrel to inderect fire angles, was not used in indirect fire mode. They would fall into assault strength rather than bombardment.
I would like to know what category the pack howitzer falls into. Historically it was a direct fire weapon.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

I'm not sure it's represented. Perhaps in the few Allied airborne units?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
String

Post by String »

Some of the US artillery regiments are equipped with the 155mm gun (not the howitzer) which also functions as a CD piece.
Surface combat TF fanboy
hvymtl13

Post by hvymtl13 »

Yes 75mm pak Howitzer is in game. Basically an inf gun, very maneuverable over rough terrain. I'm sure the Japanese have infantry guns also although I'm not versed on thier armament.

All of the US para battallions employ them. I'll just have to check for artillery bombardment option.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

They certainly had them in history. I don't recall how they are rated in the game though.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
TenChiMato

Post by TenChiMato »

ORIGINAL: engineer

One question of my own.  I ended up in a ground battle with some of the Australian AT gun units involved and I don't think I could assign them to bombardment attacks.  Are they hard-coded only to fight AFV's?

Yes they are. The good thing is that they dont require much to be airlifted and can make for a very useful reserve to give some additional punch to your paratroopers or any rearguard/weak unit baddly exposed to an armour assault. Best place you can use them is in the SRA, Burma or even China.

Also Japan has two such specialized units starting in Canton (CHS)
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

ORIGINAL: TenChiMato

ORIGINAL: engineer

Yes they are. The good thing is that they dont require much to be airlifted and can make for a very useful reserve to give some additional punch to your paratroopers or any rearguard/weak unit baddly exposed to an armour assault. Best place you can use them is in the SRA, Burma or even China.

Also Japan has two such specialized units starting in Canton (CHS)

So, should one send the australian AT to Burma or China and change HQ for the best use of these units? Are they of any use against inf units? (say, SNLF?)
TenChiMato

Post by TenChiMato »

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

So, should one send the australian AT to Burma or China and change HQ for the best use of these units? Are they of any use against inf units? (say, SNLF?)

IJA 37mm guns were initially designed for infantry support while british 2pounders were mostly used as pure AT guns. So it definitely depends on the type of guns your unit has. Check the historical database for the anti-soft values but imo anti-infantry is not the best use for them as ligh/medium mortars will do better.
hvymtl13

Post by hvymtl13 »

The 37mm AT gun has a rating of 8 agaisnt soft targets, 70 against Armor. It is later upgraded to a 57mm AT gun, which has a rating agaisnt soft of only 2, but an anti-armor rating of 120. Keep at least one, one of the Aussie AT units near home, it will most likely be needed when SWPAC starts pushing north. To have a couple of these, even one, in the Burma Theater would be a very smart move. When I am moving against armored units I use these moving with the Inf as they assault. They are most typically a defensive weapon, but they can be used on the attack effectively whenever Armor is present. There are only a few dedicated Armored units in the Japanese inventory that I am aware of so they have limited "effective" use.
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

Very true. I often use Air HQs to stand in for corp HQs when I'm short on support help.

Yes, those airmen should spend some time in the trenches...
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

if at all possible, i include artillery units in both offensive and defensive forces..  very usefull if you need to do bombardment..
Japan

Post by Japan »

(Big.B but i assume stock also)

Another Advantage, wjo is a Huge Advantage as i see it, is that the Japanese  150mm Gun, is the Abseloutly best Anti Tank Gun in the Whole Pacific, it has Huge Anti Tank Values, and a Genormus Range... Truly a Perfect Anti Tank Gun.

I know a interesting note, the Gun is Based on German Design, and the Germans Decided not to Serial Produse it as it was to complicated Production.
The Japanese however buildt some 500 of it, and it has truly perfect values for Anti Tank Phurpesses, and also fairly good values for Anti Infantry...

My Opinion is, that you are Unable to Stop a Consentrated Tank Attack without it there and in the Field.

Personaly i like ot take advantage of the Allies Poor Anti Tank Capebiletyes in for example India, so I mass ALL Jap Armor, some 3000 Armor Fighting Vhecles, and when attacking with it, its like a Hot Knife thru Butter...

[:)]

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

Return to “The War Room”