Matrix

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
acwbuff63

Matrix

Post by acwbuff63 »

HPS has said that the start up cost for offering digital downloads is very expensive and poses other security problems. Any chance Matrix and HPS could partner to offer HPS games via your digital download capability??

Grell

RE: Matrix

Post by Grell »

Now that's a sweet idea. [:)]

Regards,

Grell
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Very mixed feelings on this. I can see the benefits but I can't see the pricing being right. I like the HPS stuff but their own pricing is excessive. NWS do a good deal on it, even including the international shipping, and I've bought half-a-dozen or so titles from them, but with no printed manuals to justify a significant discount for the download only version I can't see Matrix being able to undercut HPS themselves by enough to justify purchase from them. I just won't buy them at $50.
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Several members have indicated that they have refrained from an HPS purchase due to the lack of a digital download option. HPS has indicated, they would like to offer this option, but that the initial start up cost would be too great. So I suggest, letting HPS and Matrix work out the pricing details, so that the consumers and publishers can benefit. So don't knock it, if the possibility exist.

After all, it was just a thought.
helm123456789

Post by helm123456789 »

This is exactly what keeps me from buying a couple of HPS games.  Heck I would grab many of there new releases if a digital download was an option.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

I have a number of HPS titles that I got from NWS.  I figure if it's good enough for me to drop $35 on, it's good enough to wait a week for.

But, I too would like to see digital download.  I'm just saying that it doesn't keep me from spending my money.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
helm123456789

Post by helm123456789 »

I try to not have to pay the postal service for any thing and if can cut them out (shipping charge) all the better.  Do all but one of my bills online and the last one will be online later this month.  Only thing that arrives in my mail box is junk mail for the most part.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

If HPS games were available as a digital download (even at NWS prices for the CD version) I would jump at the chance to buy them. I do things spontaneously on payday and I've had a number of titles queued up on NWS to buy, but then just pulled back and wiped the order because of the week's delay in shipping. When I want instant gratification... I want INSTANT gratification... not two weeks from now.

However, I wouldn't pay the full HPS price for a download version, I'd stick with NWS.
Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.
Rhetor

Post by Rhetor »

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie
I want INSTANT gratification... not two weeks from now.

Two weeks? What's two weeks? Here in Europe it can take up to six weeks!
1NWCG

Post by 1NWCG »

NWS is a little slow yes.  But the price per game has been a huge benefit for me.  I encourage all our members at our sites to buy from them.  A hard copy is a hard copy and I enjoy having that.  But a digital download, managed right would be swell, especially if it is the right price.  I think it has been 2 years since I bought direct from HPS.
Wargame Clubs - http://www.wargame.ch

The Blitz - http://www.theblitz.org/

Two of the Internet's Oldest Wargaming Collectives
dalelast

Post by dalelast »

I find that digital downloads are so much easier to sneak past my CO (my wife). LOL
Rhetor

Post by Rhetor »

ORIGINAL: dalelast

I find that digital downloads are so much easier to sneak past my CO (my wife). LOL

How true :D
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

for me it is not just the price but the graphics are just not that good for a game going for $50.

Madgamer.
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

HPS games are no pricier than many Matrixgames games so don't see why people are complaining about their pricing. I see physical copies of games here costing over $70.00 CAD, most HPS games are $49.95 which is only 54.32 CAD right now. It is Matrixgames who needs to do some price adjusting and not HPS.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

HPS also supports their games for years on end, for free. Take the ACW series which is in the process of getting updates right now...the first game came out in 2001 I believe, yet it has been supported all the while, and will continue to be so.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

I might buy them on digital download.  But I never buy games that have the "cd in drive" copy protection.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

With the next round of updates and on all new games the cd in drive requirements will be removed.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Yes, that is correct. Some are speculating they might go to digital download method which is preferable to me.
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

Just a word of warning: the I-net is nearly at capacity and I-net providers are being leaned on to limit downloads. Unlimited downloads will likely be a thing of the past in the not so far future. As someone who is on a direct satellite link so already has a limit, these can be quite severe. A single game downloaded could be enough to exceed the limit and have your access slowed dramatically to the point of inability to stay on the net due to constant disconnects and it may stay that way for weeks (Wildblue is my provider). AOL recently opted for limits. The others will follow.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: rahamy

With the next round of updates and on all new games the cd in drive requirements will be removed.

The recent Campaign Gettysburg and Campaign Chickamauga patches both removed the CD in drive requirement.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”