Flanking Infantry

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

hopej

Flanking Infantry

Post by hopej »

Does it make a difference if infantry is attacked from more than one side in a turn? I haven't seen a noticeable difference yet.

I know this works great for tanks. Saved my Pz3s versus T-34's.
john g

Re: Flanking Infantry

Post by john g »

Originally posted by hopej
Does it make a difference if infantry is attacked from more than one side in a turn? I haven't seen a noticeable difference yet.

I know this works great for tanks. Saved my Pz3s versus T-34's.
Infantry spots better to the front, that is why when you are searching for hidden units, you right click in the direction that you want the unit to search.
thanks, John.
gnoccop

Post by gnoccop »

if you shot alternatively from different position and squad/tank at one target you have a big advantage, because the op-fire from the enemy didn't get any bonus from repited shot to one target, and his suppresion increase.

Also if you outflank the enemy and use terrain wisely , he can't shot with all his troop because of his position and blocked LOS.
"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)
MarkFroio

Post by MarkFroio »

I've wondered this too. Say the unit you are firing at does not have any more chances for opourtunity fire. Do you suppress it quicker if you have 2 units firing at it from 2 different angles or is it the same as if you have 2 units firing at it from the same hex? Or put another way, is there a bonus for attacking a unit from 2 different sides?
lnp4668

Post by lnp4668 »

If you surrounded enemy so that they can't retreat, they will surrender. This only works if the surrounding units have some shots left.
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
troopie

Post by troopie »

It is always better to get infantry in a cross fire. I try not to engage an infantry unit unless I can get at least two fires on it from two angles.

troopie
Pamwe Chete
Larry Holt

Post by Larry Holt »

The modeling of shooting an infantry target from a crossfire is incomplete. As was mentioned, you should fire from multiple locations but that is because return fire will only effect one of your units, not several. The effect on an infantry target considers only the shots coming in. It does not consider the additional effects of a crossfire:
-defenders have to turn and acquire different targets, this is not the same thing as the drop in % to hit when you switch targets, this drop is the same regardless of how far around you need to turn to acquire the other target.
-hiding behind cover for one firing unit may not protect you from fire from a different direction
-the psychological effects of taking fire from attackers that you cannot see or fire back at (because you are busy firing at someone else) is considerable.
Never take counsel of your fears.
bchapman

Post by bchapman »

Do you suppress it quicker if you have 2 units firing at it from 2 different angles or is it the same as if you have 2 units firing at it from the same hex?

You may not get a bonus for firing from 2 different hexs, but you don't get both units suppressed with one return round. When two units are in the same hex, and one takes fire, usually both take suppression, so in my opinion, it's better to seperate the attacking (or ambushing) units to different hexes if possible.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”