Europa Universalis: Rome

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sabre1

Europa Universalis: Rome

Post by sabre1 »

So what is the consensus from everyone on this game?

I have never played any of the EU titles.

Based on everyone's comments on Sword of the Stars, I did pick up the gold version and plan on playing it this summer.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
orwell

RE: Europa Universalis: Rome

Post by orwell »

It's ok, but I had expected a lot more from the game than what we got. It feels rather... bare? Like someone had gotten the framework set up, and now it's waiting on someone putting in the awesome bits. I would highly recommend instead EUIII + NA + IN. This combination has provided the best vanilla paradox game out of every game they've done. When Magna Mundi Platinum comes on, I suspect most other grand strategy games shall pale in comparison.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I haven't played it yet. I promised myself I wouldn't play it until I read the manual....but I was/am sidetracked from the manual at the moment reading about the Black Buck raid (the Vulcan bomber mission on Stanley Airfield in The Falklands Conflict in 1982).

So I haven't played a single solitairy turn.

I have, however, been playing EUIII+NA+IN and it's very, very good. This one has had time to bed in and works very well. Playing as England, I've annexed all of Scotland bar Lothian. I've got to wait the 50 years before the cores disappear and become mine proper. Currently in an "inactive" war with France (although I do keep sending her Navy to Davey Jones Locker).

The different rebel types are very good and a real pita now....I mean, a pita with a challenge...they were a pitsa before...now they have challenge so you do have to deal with them.

I had Meath taken from me by rebels, but I didn't have enough troops to fight them because I was firefighting rebels in Scotland. Once they actually took Meath, they defected to Connaught after a while...now I can't get Meath back unless I go to war with Connaught...and that's a big hit because I have no reason to...even though they had one of my provinces

EUIII+NA+IN has settled and seems to work very well. I can't compare it to EU:Rome myself, but I've heard people saying it pales in significance atm.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Forgot to say, I've only played until 1420 or something (from 1399) and I've played for almost 8 hours over the weekend (I play on one tick above the slowest)...but it's one of those "one more turn" games.

I'm looking forward to progressing my empire!
Alba gu' brath
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

I found EU:Rome to be a very disapointing game.

It's like they left all the good stuff out to put into the expansions.

It's basically and hollow and immersionless wack-a-mole micromanagement game.

Like JD I quit EU:R when In Nomine was released, and am having a blast playing it. Vanilla EU3 was a great game, IN just improves on a great game.

And like JD I am playing England, which is no longer the superpower it was in EU3. I basically wrecked my chances of winning by trying to hold onto Calais and Gascoigne. Which works in EU3 but in IN is doomed to messy failure.

I do hope Paradox get the wake up call the EU:R has provided and recover from the hubris that produced the lacklustre EU:R and make the game worthy of the EU name without charging us 40 euro.

If they don't the next release from Paradox is likely to be a blank CD, with the message 'Modders get on with it' on the lable.

Grell

Post by Grell »

EU Rome is the most boring game to come out in ages. I fully blame paradox for that piece of junk. Do not get that game, you'll be sorry.

Regards,

Greg

Edit: EU III Is a great game though.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Rome is a bit sparse, so hopefully an expansion pack will give me the game I was hoping for. Also, I really don't like the emphasis on managing Governors on a constant basis. It seems so much like busy work and I don't really find it an enjoyable game mechanic.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks everyone, I will pick up EU III, and wait to see what happens down the road with EU:R.

cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I am very disappointed with EU:Rome.

Get EUIII with NA and IN - In Nomine, as JD said above, is really quite fun. The only problem is that I never can keep at one nation for the duration, I get to impatient. I got to 1497 as Spain (well, as Castile who destroyed Aragon to form Spain) but I am losing money hand-over-fist and my inflation is a sinking ship. I have nice colonies, but they sure cost. I'm thinking about starting in 1508 with either France or Austria (the Holy Roman Empire is tons of fun) or I might go for a challenge and begin in the Eighty Years War scenario as the Netherlands (fighting those dominating Spainards). I find that the UK offers a nice balance between global ambition and managability, but you will have an early battle against the Scots and the Irish.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

EU: Rome a big bust.  Wish I could get my money back.  Don't waste your money guys.[:(]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Where's the best place to get EU:3 NA, IN.  I like to get the physical package if possible.  I see there is a collector's edition, which is pretty cheap now.  I can't seem to find any info on what is included in that package.  Thanks everyone.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Order it straight from Paradox, can't you?
Alba gu' brath
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Where's the best place to get EU:3 NA, IN.  I like to get the physical package if possible. 

To my knowledge the expansions are only available by download, via Gamersgate. The 'Collectors Edition' just has a printed map, strategy guide, game soundtrack and all the usual 'bonus' rubbish nobody ever looks at more than once.

EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
ORIGINAL: sabre1

Where's the best place to get EU:3 NA, IN. I like to get the physical package if possible.

To my knowledge the expansions are only available by download, via Gamersgate. The 'Collectors Edition' just has a printed map, strategy guide, game soundtrack and all the usual 'bonus' rubbish nobody ever looks at more than once.

Yeah, they are only available online through Gamers Gate. I've found EUIII in the bargain bin and bought NA through the GamersGate software. The Gamers Gate software is pretty easy to use and when bought the games is in your list and you can download them as you please.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks guys, I saw Gamers Gate.  I just wanted to make sure it was a reliable source.  One can never be to careful nowadays...
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

As long as they stay in business.

[/quote]
Yeah, they are only available online through Gamers Gate. I've found EUIII in the bargain bin and bought NA through the GamersGate software. The Gamers Gate software is pretty easy to use and when bought the games is in your list and you can download them as you please.
[/quote]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

[:(]

Well, that sucks, I liked most of their other games, and a Roman era version should just rock.
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

[:(]

Well, that sucks, I liked most of their other games, and a Roman era version should just rock.

It should, but it doesn't.

EU3 from Play is £15.00.

Return to “General Discussion”