COTA!!!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Titanwarrior89

COTA!!!

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

In another thread "What is the best Matrix game". A fairly large number of people picked it or mentioned it. Ive read other positive feed back on the game.

My question is. What makes Cota so popular? Not puting the game down. I just want to know because it covers a area of the war that was a back water of action. Is it the game system, the time and area covered or is it the fun factor?

Been sitting on the fence on this one for a long time.[&:]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
simovitch

RE: COTA!!!

Post by simovitch »

It's definitely the Game system and by proxy the fun factor. As you allude to in your post, Marita-Merkur is one of the least popular theaters of WW2.

That said, I got hooked in 2005 when I was looking for a game on Market Garden prior to a tour of NL and picked up Highway to the Reich. I was wary at first becuase I had to "command like a real General" (or something like that) in real-time without hexes and turns. I figured it could never work, but the maps looked really cool and accurate - so I bought it.

I have been playing wargames since 1970 and I can tell you now, that there is no other way that I would play any game at Company level. I can select an individual Company to give orders to, or select the Battalion and let the AI form up my line companies. Or command a Regiment to direct the Battalions, and so on. And no hexes with practically flawless route finding. It's as low or high maintenance as I want it to be, and it provides quite a realistic and rewarding gaming experience.

And the system is well supported and getting better all the time.
simovitch

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks Sim[:)] I may give it a shot. That answered what I was wondering about. Thank ya sir[;)]
ORIGINAL: simovitch

It's definitely the Game system and by proxy the fun factor. As you allude to in your post, Marita-Merkur is one of the least popular theaters of WW2.

That said, I got hooked in 2005 when I was looking for a game on Market Garden prior to a tour of NL and picked up Highway to the Reich. I was wary at first becuase I had to "command like a real General" (or something like that) in real-time without hexes and turns. I figured it could never work, but the maps looked really cool and accurate - so I bought it.

I have been playing wargames since 1970 and I can tell you now, that there is no other way that I would play any game at Company level. I can select an individual Company to give orders to, or select the Battalion and let the AI form up my line companies. Or command a Regiment to direct the Battalions, and so on. And no hexes with practically flawless route finding. It's as low or high maintenance as I want it to be, and it provides quite a realistic and rewarding gaming experience.

And the system is well supported and getting better all the time.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

My question is. What makes Cota so popular? Not puting the game down. I just want to know because it covers a area of the war that was a back water of action. Is it the game system, the time and area covered or is it the fun factor?

I'm not so sure it is that 'popular', at least in terms of sales volume. That is, to some extent, the price you pay for picking a "back water of action" rather than yet another Normandy or Battle of the Bulge (or Kharkov, I suppose) game. Those who want yet more of the same familiar battles will generally outnumber those who welcome something new, sadly. The point about this particular back-water is that it makes for some fascinating wargaming and suits what is the best operational wargaming franchise on the market very well indeed. Basically, it's the system itself... I'm sure BotB will be excellent despite the yawn-inducing subject matter.

BTW, anyone else remember when 'Patton's Charge' dominated the public vote for a RDoA successor? Would be nice to see that one someday. Best of both worlds, really.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I wasn't too keen on Greece actions and was very wary of the game. But the maps looked so beautiful, I just had to buy it...and it really does not disappoint (unless you are a die hard hex based IGOUGO fan).

Each of the scenarios is challenging and excellent to play and as simovitch stated, you can make your command as easy or as difficult as you want.

There was talk of reducing the users ability to command artillery as freely as he can...I hope that idea never comes to fruition because commanding artillery is one of it's appealing factors for me.
Alba gu' brath
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

where the hell is Eddy?
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Grell

Post by Grell »

COTA is a great game and it's bound to please you, although there are some that just don't like it.

Regards,

Greg
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

One last question on CotA.  The Map editor, is it easy to work with?

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

After your first map (maybe second) it's easy. There's obviously a learning curve, but I didn't find it that difficult...and I'm not very resourceful like that. And I didn't read the manual...only the bits I needed to...but I'd suggest reading the manual to prevent any frustration.

Creating scenarios...balanced scenarios...that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Balancing is what takes alot of time.
Alba gu' brath
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks Judge oooh warrior! [:D] That answers my question. Think Ill get the thing.[:)]
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

After your first map (maybe second) it's easy. There's obviously a learning curve, but I didn't find it that difficult...and I'm not very resourceful like that. And I didn't read the manual...only the bits I needed to...but I'd suggest reading the manual to prevent any frustration.

Creating scenarios...balanced scenarios...that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Balancing is what takes alot of time.

Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

What's a cota?
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Conquest of the Aegean

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks all. Downloading now. My wife is going to kill me. Thankfully its a download. Matrix saves us alot of explaining when the "package" arrives if it wasn't for downloads.[:D][X(]

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

What's a cota?

Thatsa whata youa puta ona when ita eesa freddo.

Nota to bea cunfused a witha CotA-whitcha isa the best gaema.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

[:)][:D]
[:D]
ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

What's a cota?

Thatsa whata youa puta ona when ita eesa freddo.

Nota to bea cunfused a witha CotA-whitcha isa the best gaema.
[:D][:D]

Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

Donta geta fresha witha me, you makea funa of the waya Ia talka?[;)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Donta geta fresha witha me, you makea funa of the waya Ia talka?[;)]

You talka like a thata tooa? Holy smoke a![:D]
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

a sure!

[center]Image[/center]
JeF

Post by JeF »

Hi,
ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I know I'm too late. Anyway.
FWIW, you'll find a couple of reasons why COTA's game engine is truly special over here : http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/dropzone ... index.html

Enjoy,

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

That's why I love you guys, perennial clowns....

Never a dull intercourse of rhetoric. 
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

Return to “General Discussion”