workplace rudeness

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

workplace rudeness

Post by Zap »

I'm of the the opinion that that rudeness in general is on the rise. Heres a recent informal survey that decribes what are considered the ten most rude acts in the work place. Though I coulnd'nt understand how #6 fits into the survey.

The 'Terrible 10' List

Based on those rankings, the "Terrible 10" behaviors are (from most to least offensive):

1)Employment discrimination.
2)Erratic/aggressive driving that endangers others.
3)Taking credit for someone else's work.
4)Treating service providers as inferiors.
5)Mocking race, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, or religion.
6)Children who behave aggressively or who bully others.
7)Littering.
8)Misusing handicapped privileges.
9)Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking.
10)Using cell phones or text-messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

Some actions, such as discrimination, may be illegal; but even more subtle behaviors, such as making a sexist joke or not asking before lighting a cigarette, still add to the stress of the daily grind and can actually lower productivity.

"The research suggests that people are bothered more by the transgressions of coworkers and strangers than by those of family and friends," says P.M. Forni, director of the Civility Initiative at Johns Hopkins.

Civility Helps the Bottom Line

Forni added that, although the survey did not explore the prevalence of these behaviors, years of anecdotal evidence suggest that taking credit for another's work, and text-messaging or cell-phone use during meetings are widespread annoyances.

"These behaviors have a big impact on the quality of life for coworkers and on the bottom line as well," Forni tells Yahoo! HotJobs. "If we had better relationship skills, it would diminish the amount of stress in the workplace and eliminate a lot of misery."

The survey is backed up by increasing evidence that shows workplace rudeness taking a toll on both employees and on a company's bottom line. A previous study of rudeness in the workplace by the Jacob France Institute found that 67% of respondents feel society is ruder than in the past, and 83% stated that it was "very important" for them to work in a civil workplace environment.

Jeffrey H.

RE: workplace rudeness

Post by Jeffrey H. »

My own opinions:

1)Employment discrimination.

Systematic and endemic, and not for the reasons you think.

2)Erratic/aggressive driving that endangers others.

At work ? Certainly on the way to and from work.

3)Taking credit for someone else's work.

Endemic, your own boss does it as a matter of course. If you are an IC you are expected to provide fodder for others to take credit for.

4)Treating service providers as inferiors.

True for non-management IC's as well.

5)Mocking race, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, or religion.

Not in my company ! only 1 thing can get you fired or blacklisted quicker and that's being accused of internet abuse.

6)Children who behave aggressively or who bully others.

At work ?

7)Littering.

Not true at all.

8)Misusing handicapped privileges.

As with any priviledge the government hands out, abuse is simply endemic.

9)Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking.

You think it's bad here in the USA ? try going overseas !

10)Using cell phones or text-messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

Not true in my company, nobody does this. Some people bring laptops to meetings and clatter away at emails while supposedly participating during a meeting, but never a cell phone or texting.

MY OWN #1 MOST ANNOYING WORKPLACE BEHAVIOUR:

COMING TO WORK SICK AND MAKING EVERYONE ELSE SICK AROUND YOU !!

GAH ! I WANT TO KILL SOME PEOPLE WHO DO THIS !!! THEY DO IT FOR NO DAYAM REASON !!!

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I agree that some of them go far past rudeness. I will make the exception to the last post that the " sick at work" policy varies greatly. I have worked where the sane attitude of stay home was the norm. To others where it was thought to show your dedication and " toughness" to come in and hack or heave on your desk. That the bosses somehow found this a good idea and based promotions etc. on it is still mind boggling.

My biggest gripe which isn't on the list but like discrimination doesn't belong in it is NEPOTISM. Or in its new form " networking". The idea that someone would hire a crony from years ago into a position where they have no experience and have to be taught their job by the poor sob who didn't get the promotion so this old friend could have it, sickens me. J.D. Rockefeller would hire people he despised or didn't like and put them into positions where he felt they would do a great job and he was almost always right on the money. He never promoted or hired on an  " old buddy " system.

As far as rudeness itself goes, I am very perplexed at the age of the people that are the rudest. Sure you find a teen every once in awhile but my biggest problem is with the people who are 40+. I know that people of that age were taught to be polite and actually were at one time , being in that bracket myself . I do not know what happened to them through the years. I still find it amusing/sickening when I hold a door open for someone and you can see that they want to know what I'm doing. It's almost as if they think I'm going to slam it at the last second or rob them or something.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

There are only two things in this world that I hate - Intolerance and rudeness towards other races and their cultures... and the Japanese. [;)]

No really, I think that rudeness is definately on the rise. But I have not seen so much of it at work, at least between coworkers. I hear a lot of watercooler "sexy" gossip, and you get the occasional stealing of other people's ideas and research (dangerous to do in the academic world though, as it can ruin your career if caught).

Now I am in education, and I DO see a lot of what could be considered "client rudeness" from my students. They are pretty brash about accusing us (professors) of not knowning how to do my job, being biased, being unfair towards them, incorrectly grading/not knowning how to grade, not putting attention towards their paper, and other types of things you might expect. It isn't a lot of students, but usually the laziest or ones with the feeling of entitlement that fight very loudly. They also do it in a disrespectful way, accusatory, and typically over email (as they are too cowardly to face me and level accusations - of course I can dismiss them easier over email).

I even had one kid schedule an appointment to talk about his grade (which was a good ending grade). He did NOT tell me, this college Freshman, that he was going to bring his mother to the appointment to basically "strong-arm" me into raising the grade. That's pretty brash, and slightly rude, particularly when they leveled accusations that I was unfair and had insulted this "poor" kid. That sort of thing would NOT have flown 50 years ago in a university setting.

I don't see much of that top ten list though. Must be in the "grunt" fields far outside of the ivory towers of academia. In our towers we suffer from a sense of arrogance and backstabbing competitiveness - passive aggressive office politics that come out or rumor, research sniping, and professional sabatoge through needless and pointed criteque of a fellow academic's work.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
BvB

Post by BvB »

My own pet peeves in the workplace would be dishonesty and poor work ethic.  People that cheat or lie to get paid more hours than they worked, or just doing enough to get by.  Then if you work with the public having coworkers that just dont care, ignoring or being rude to customers.  And then complaining if you help them as that in turn makes them look worse...  Apathetic managers who prefer to ignore problems instead of addressing them fearing the substandard workers will play the race card.
Someone mentioned kids -- so yea, dealing with people that wont control them in public.

Enlisted during Nixon, retired during Clinton then went postal - joined the USPS, then retired from that during Obama.
panzers

Post by panzers »

If you were to look at the list, and compare it to a list of, say, 30 years ago, I think they would be 10 completely different things. Some good, some not so good.
I am saying this because people my age(late 40's, early 50's) did not grow up with all the political correctness that goes on today and I think that in many ways that is the root of a lot of this evil.
What is considered rude today, was considered the norm 30 years ago. I truly believe people today are drunk on politively correctness.
Now, I know I will get a lot of people who may dissagre with that, but anyone who has lived as long as I, would have to agree with what I am saying.
The bottom line here is: the truth hurts.
Now, with that being said, the list which is a modern list, I would have to agree with few exceptions to be accurate. Doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all of them, but it does seem to be consistant with the times, though I, too am a little confused with the children aspect(#6). Maybe it's the kids themselves are the ones that are rude making it the reason why it is on the workplace list. If that were the case, then that is absolutely correct.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Panzers,

I agree with your point.  I teach in alternative special education.  Children today have a sense of entitlement that is beyond my comprehension.  I could site hundreds of examples that are horrifying.  At 54 years of age I feel like I need to find a place in Nebraska, hunker down and wait for the end.  I forgot to mention I teach near the border in California.  Alternative Education is a misnomer for Future Prisoners of America.  Saying that I teach in a zoo is an unfair comparison for the animals in the zoo...

Each year it grows worse.  Each year as a teacher you become a little more fearful for your safety. 

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
orwell

Post by orwell »

The entitlement disturbs me. What disturbs me even more is the enablement that begets the feeling of entitlement. The concessions made to standards of decency, standards of commitments, just absolutely boggles my mind, and I'm only 20. Somebody give me back the 50's, with a car in every garage, a chicken in every pot, and a commie to fight under every bed.
Grell

Post by Grell »

Hi Zap,

Thanks for the list, I would change a couple here and there but it seems right on just the same.

Regards,

Greg
Joshuatree

Post by Joshuatree »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Panzers,

I agree with your point.  I teach in alternative special education.  Children today have a sense of entitlement that is beyond my comprehension.  I could site hundreds of examples that are horrifying.  At 54 years of age I feel like I need to find a place in Nebraska, hunker down and wait for the end.  I forgot to mention I teach near the border in California.  Alternative Education is a misnomer for Future Prisoners of America.  Saying that I teach in a zoo is an unfair comparison for the animals in the zoo...

Each year it grows worse.  Each year as a teacher you become a little more fearful for your safety. 

It's *that* bad huh?
Scary really.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

GAH ! I WANT TO KILL SOME PEOPLE WHO DO THIS !!! THEY DO IT FOR NO DAYAM REASON !!!

Actually, being from the military, it was "frowned upon" to go sick...to the point where they discouraged it (or tried to) by making you were your Number Twos (no...not that...ceremonial dress).

I go to work when I have a cold because I don't feel that taking time off work for a cold is something you should do. Clearly, you feel different. Also, I think taking time off sick is very frowned upon in the UK....certainly there's a stigma attached to being ill and not coming in...the number of times I hear people say "She's sniffing now...what's the bettin she's not in tomorrow"!

Mine is definitely down to my military background though...

My BIG pet hate (not necessarily tied to work) is the fact that people think when your mobile phone goes off...it's time to be rude. YOU'VE GOT PISSING VOICEMAIL!!! Made all the worse when it's not an important call. I see lots of people going through checkouts at the supermarket and I just want to grab it off them and hit the baskets over the head with it...all the while trying to install into their tiny mind that they are dealing with another human being at that particular moment!!

Clearly we all have things that wind us up...and they will differ greatly from person to person....but I think Zap is right...I think rudeness is very much on the increase.
Alba gu' brath
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: panzers
The bottom line here is: the truth hurts.

... and people can't handle the truth. Which is why some people consider me rude and/or harsh. Me, a little puppy, go figure [;)]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Panzers,

I'll bet those kids are not US citizens, or at least you are not allowed to ask or know if they are or are not.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Actually, being from the military, it was "frowned upon" to go sick...to the point where they discouraged it (or tried to) by making you were your Number Twos (no...not that...ceremonial dress).

I go to work when I have a cold because I don't feel that taking time off work for a cold is something you should do. Clearly, you feel different. Also, I think taking time off sick is very frowned upon in the UK....certainly there's a stigma attached to being ill and not coming in...the number of times I hear people say "She's sniffing now...what's the bettin she's not in tomorrow"!

My BIG pet hate (not necessarily tied to work) is the fact that people think when your mobile phone goes off...it's time to be rude. YOU'VE GOT PISSING VOICEMAIL!!! Made all the worse when it's not an important call. I see lots of people going through checkouts at the supermarket and I just want to grab it off them and hit the baskets over the head with it...all the while trying to install into their tiny mind that they are dealing with another human being at that particular moment!!

Clearly we all have things that wind us up...and they will differ greatly from person to person....but I think Zap is right...I think rudeness is very much on the increase.

I agree there is a certain reluctance to call in sick because of several reasons:

1. Often times people don't feel sick enough to justify it, so their sense of duty or obligation outweighs their ill health.
2. They do not want to be stigmatized as someone who calls in sick for no reason. But if they do have a reason, why should they care ? Because they are afraid of repercussions.
3. Simply enough, the people that put in the most time, without regard to their personal health, (mental or physical) or those who make no attempt to try to balance their family and work committments, are the ones who are rewarded.

Mee, I don't care. I hate getting sick because someone else was afraid to stay home. It happens often that I get sick from someone who came to work sick. Many people around me travel frequently and have young kids. There are ALWAYS sick poeple around and they are in here sputtering and coughing and sneezing it all around. I wish to god they would just stay home a few days and not make everyone else sick too.

I make a huge committment to maintain my health, both in time and money. It all gets wasted when some slob comes in sick and blows their disease all around.

Ron Swanson
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I agree there is a certain reluctance to call in sick because of several reasons:

1. Often times people don't feel sick enough to justify it, so their sense of duty or obligation outweighs their ill health.
2. They do not want to be stigmatized as someone who calls in sick for no reason. But if they do have a reason, why should they care ? Because they are afraid of repercussions.
3. Simply enough, the people that put in the most time, without regard to their personal health, (mental or physical) or those who make no attempt to try to balance their family and work committments, are the ones who are rewarded.

Mee, I don't care. I hate getting sick because someone else was afraid to stay home. It happens often that I get sick from someone who came to work sick. Many people around me travel frequently and have young kids. There are ALWAYS sick poeple around and they are in here sputtering and coughing and sneezing it all around. I wish to god they would just stay home a few days and not make everyone else sick too.

I make a huge committment to maintain my health, both in time and money. It all gets wasted when some slob comes in sick and blows their disease all around.

Sounds like you might have an issue about sick people....I mean...you may not get sick from someone at work....you may catch it from your wife/girlfriend who walked past someone who sneezed. There are all sorts of reasons for you to get ill....and work is one of them...but there are probably a thousand more people you, or someone you meet, have come in contact with someone who is ill. Besides...it's a known fact that once you actually have a cold and think "I have a cold", you've been carrying for days.

Anyway...as for this...
when some slob comes in sick and blows their disease all around
that's me...sorry [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

Some people only get a few days for sick days (like my sister) and then sicks days start coming out of their vacation days. So you come to work if your still breathing. The company made the decision!

At my place we get basically unlimited sick days (they do count) but that sense of duty does kick in after a day or two so I will head back to work once I feel I'm not contagious but still feel like crap!
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree

Panzers,

It's *that* bad huh?
Scary really.

It's that bad. Yesterday we had a student stab another in the throat (off campus thankfully) because he disrespected him and his gang. That term "disrespected" sickens me, I hear it constantly. It's about the only "big" word in these morons vocabulary. The population that I teach is the lowest of the low.

I need to go back to teaching kindergarten through third grade. This job makes you apathetic and cynical. Yes a majority of these students are illegal aliens, or their parents are. it is something that is just not talked about, at least if you want to keep your job, and I do need my job.

I am the only caucasion in the classroom. At lunch the staff all speak in Spanish. Obviously I don't eat with the staff.

I have a different perspective on teaching, I was a farmer from birth until forty years of age. Government regulations slowly drove our family out of farming. We had been farming since our family immigrated here from Switzerland in the early 1900's. I swtiched to teaching and enjoyed it for the previous ten years, but now it is just a job and paycheck. I'm not teaching at school, I'm holding the animals until they turn 18 years of age and the district no longer gets ADA funds, which is all they care about anyway. Sorry for the rant, I'm pretty disgusted with the whole educational system. It could be fixed, but the methods would have to be draconian in nature, and that is just not going to happen in our current political morass. NCLB (No child left behind) is not the answser.

I apologize for the rant. It was a particularly tough day. Seventy students with one certificated teacher (me), and one substitutute who was to inexperienced to deal with classroom behaviors. We were short staffed today. Oh, and we rarely get substitute teachers at our site. No one wants to work there. In case your wondering why I took the job in the first place, I was assured at the interview that we had a high degree of help and control within the classroom having probation officers, etc. on call. This turned out to be false and misleading. They need certificated staff.

Like I said before, I could give one horrifying story after another.

On the positive side, I have learned how to manage and maintain control of my class. It has made me learn how to cope with stressful situations that I previously thought I would be incapable of handling. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger, yeah right...

Thanks for your patience.

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Panzers,

Sabre;

You sound burned out...in the Chernobyl sort of way. Have you thought about Northern Idaho? [:)]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Ditto on the phone thing. One could make a list of ten just for the cell phone.

1) No phone calls in the theater (film or stage)

2) No phone calls in the check out line when the checker is trying to ring up your bill and needs your cooperation.

3) No phone calls at the frickin' doctor's office when the doctor is in the room with you.

4) No phone calls in the middle of a conversation with a live human being.

5) No phone calls in the frickin' public crapper.

6) No phone calls in church (especially a funeral or wedding)

7) No phone calls in a lecture.

8) No phone calls during sex (I got in some serious trouble for this once)

9) No phone calls in court.

10) How about not slowing down to 35 mph when takign a phone call on the freeway?

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

I think where a lot of this work place rudeness comes from is that people have incredibly thin skins these days.
There seems to be a race to see who can be offended first.
The first to be offended wins the contest. Because he who is offended first gets what he wants.
At least that is what I see.
The way I see things is that if an individual use's racial slurs or tells vulgar jokes, there is no reason to get offended, because it says more about the person that tells such jokes or uses those terms than it does the people he is talking about. Why get offended by the ravings of a fool?

Try listening to arguments these days. They always start out with, "I feel..." because they think feelings can't be argued with.
My usual response is, "feelings don't always reflect reality"

As to the sick at work thing, in my case I am self employed. If I don't work I don't get paid. But some consideration for others still would go a long way.

Time to crack open a cold one.

Bottoms up!
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

Return to “General Discussion”