Shore Bombardment Nukes

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Knavey

Shore Bombardment Nukes

Post by Knavey »

Question for Terminus (or another one of the AE team)...

I have been reading up on the changes and Terminus stated at one point that the days of nuclear shore bombardments were over.

My question is...can you tell us what went wrong in the code that causes the nukes in the stock game?

Thanks,

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Terminus

RE: Shore Bombardment Nukes

Post by Terminus »

Nope. I'm not a code guy...[;)]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Question for Terminus (or another one of the AE team)...

I have been reading up on the changes and Terminus stated at one point that the days of nuclear shore bombardments were over.

My question is...can you tell us what went wrong in the code that causes the nukes in the stock game?

Thanks,

Sure. [;)]

They were ahead of their time and were using depleted uranium shells. Turns out that some of them weren't so 'depleted' after all. [:D]
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Wait a minute...Time...because we are dealing with an isotopic half life here, it is impossible to be "ahead" of their time since the shells are always decaying!  Or maybe they are decaying faster than normal and are actually ahead of themselves!

Is that why the second bombardment never does as well as the first?  The shells have decayed a little in between?

Nucs...gotta hate them as much as Nukes!  [:D]
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Depleted uranium has decayed. If you use it ahead of time it isn't all decayed yet. It's kind of like drinking sour milk while it's still fresh. Or sinking the Bismark after it was scuttled. Or was that before it was scuttled? I always get those mixed up.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Oh crap...you just hijacked a perfectly good (although absolutely nonsensical) thread!  Now let the Bismark debate begin!
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

Ah, but the question assumes that something went wrong in the code! We cannot know whether that assumption is valid or not, because we do not know what the original design specifications required. Hence the code may be WAD or it may not be WAD. We cannot know.

I am not sure, but I have not specifically heard that this code was changed for AE. Even in stock, with adequate counter-measures, the tactic can be defeated.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Even in stock, with adequate counter-measures, the tactic can be defeated.

With what, 35,000 mines? [:D]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

" With what, 35,000 mines?"

Surface Combat Task Forces
fair winds,
Brad
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

" With what, 35,000 mines?"

Surface Combat Task Forces

question is: "What do you prefer? Seeing one or two BBs and a couple of CAs badly mauled by an incoming IJN bombardment TF with two BBs first and then see your airfield / port nuked, or only seeing your airfield / port nuked?" [:D]

In my not so limited experience, it all comes down to recon. If the detection level of the base is high enough, you most likely see a nuke, if there was no recon, or not enough, then you will mostly get away without any damage.
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

question is: "What do you prefer? Seeing one or two BBs and a couple of CAs badly mauled by an incoming IJN bombardment TF with two BBs first and then see your airfield / port nuked, or only seeing your airfield / port nuked?" [:D]

Since when has a SCTF been mauled by an equal strength Bombardment TF?
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

Wait a minute...Time...because we are dealing with an isotopic half life here, it is impossible to be "ahead" of their time since the shells are always decaying!  Or maybe they are decaying faster than normal and are actually ahead of themselves!

Is that why the second bombardment never does as well as the first?  The shells have decayed a little in between?

Nucs...gotta hate them as much as Nukes!  [:D]

Especially twidget's. There is something WAY wrong with a guy who manipulates a small plastic object to make rods go up and down. [;)]

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Ah, but the question assumes that something went wrong in the code! We cannot know whether that assumption is valid or not, because we do not know what the original design specifications required. Hence the code may be WAD or it may not be WAD. We cannot know.

I am not sure, but I have not specifically heard that this code was changed for AE. Even in stock, with adequate counter-measures, the tactic can be defeated.

Yeah, Joe, but scuttled or sunk? The world wonders.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Scunked!

Well, not quite...she did get the Hood.

OK Bad joke.  [:'(]
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”