HSG Cats Claws

This forum is intended for questions on scenario and campaign design, including the random scenario and campaign systems. This is also the location to upload and post your latest new scenarios and campaigns.
Mad Russian

HSG Cats Claws

Post by Mad Russian »

For those who don't know about HSG we are a group that does historically based tactical level scenarios. Until now they have been done only for the Combat Mission game system. This is the first done for the Panzer Command game system. One of many to follow.

This is my first attempt at a full scale PC scenario. I have several smaller scenarios I made while learning to use the editor.
They need updated with the unit naming process I used here. All units have the commanders name. They then show the battalion and regiment. I like the effect of the unit commanders name.

As always with my scenarios it is based on an actual historical event. While I've beat the AI at normal settings I'm very interested in seeing how some of the more veteran PC players find the playbalance in this scenario.

This is the 5th Panzer Divisions first real battle after arriving back from Germany and a complete refit. The timing couldn't have been better for the Germans. Army Group Center was being torn apart and they needed the tanks a full strength Panzer Division could deploy.

All comments are welcome. If I'm to improve my skills as a PC scenario designer than I need all the feedback you can give me.

I look forward to your comments.

Good Hunting.

MR
Attachments
HSGDAGC1..Claws_2.zip
(7.43 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
kam99

RE: HSG Cats Claws

Post by kam99 »

MR,

A brilliant scenario. I like smaller scenarios and I would describe this as perhaps medium sized. However, I found the 5 German platoons easy to control. Your naming system worked superbly. It made the scenario more immersive, as I 'cared' more about the individual named platoons. Your briefing was very comprehensive and added to the atmosphere.

I managed a Decisive Victory. However it was hard going, and I lost 3 Panthers with one other disabled. I also lost some infantry and their halftracks. To be honest I probably only managed a Decisive as I got a little gamey at the end, and believing I had taken out all the T34s, I was able to chase flags to rack up the score.

I look forward to playing this again when I have more time. Great fun, very well done. I really look forward to more of your obviously well researched scenarios.

kam
433tom

Post by 433tom »

Looking forward to playing it and downloading it now. I was part of HSG a while back. I think I did about 5 scenarios for CMBB with HSG and another 15 or so before I joined. My computer died and other real life issues resulted in me losing touch with everyone. I plan on trying to do a scenario for PCK, but the lack of an easy to use map editor seems to be my excuse for not getting started. [:)]
Redleg

Post by Redleg »

MR:  Just finished the battle on Normal.  Legendary Victory with zero losses.  The Panthers were very easy to control and keep track of.

The Grenadiers were largely inactive - in fact, the Panthers carried 95 percent of the load.  I'd say you have a good scenario that is superb for practicing German tactics and formations.  I had a good time doing that.

As soon as I leave here, I will take command of the T34-85s since I have been wanting to try them since day one.

IMO, this scenario will benefit greatly from a large and richer map.  This map is my favorite in PCK but even so, I could dominate 3/4 of the map with some of my Panthers in overwatch positions..... especially after the 3 additionals appeared.

I am not one who "cares" about the little icons and your naming scheme worked well for me.  Although at first glance, I would prefer to know that it is a T34-85 much more than if it is commanded by Sgt Pavlov.  Frankly Sgt Pavlov is merely cannon fodder!  LOL But I know most people like the immersive thing.... I like blowing up tanks and machine-gunning infantry!

I'll let you know how the Russians fare against the dreaded Panthers if anything of interest happens.

Redleg.
Motomouse

Post by Motomouse »

Legendary Victory on Normal without reinforcements. Good defensive placement, infantry for flank scouting and spotting, not much to to for the germans. Now on to the russian side.

I liked the detailed introduction. The naming scheme helped me to identify the text messages and connect the action to the map locations (Names beeing more recognizable than the numbers for me)

Good Work
Motomouse
Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere
Redleg

Post by Redleg »

The Russian's managed a Decisive at the Normal level.  This was really fun and I had to be quite careful.  Anyway, I lost 6 tanks (3 of the T34-85s that carried the brunt of the attack).  This is my favorite battle in PCK to date.  A real good one.

One thing I really like about PCK is that it is not necessary to commit Hari-Kari by grabbing victory flags.  In both battles I was able to win without thinking very much at all about the flags.  Instead, I focused on rooting out Panthers.  The grenadiers like my Tank Riders were mostly cannon fodder. 

Unlike the German side, the Russian had to move uphill and face that devestatingly accurate fire from above.  Fortunately, I was able to have my tanks firing from standing positions which helped a lot.  Don't want to include any spoilers here, so will not comment further other than to say that I had a good time with this from both sides and hope to seem more of them.  I don't think the map would be conducive to many (if any) more tanks with those high quality guns.

Thanks for the fun I had last night and this afternoon!

Redleg
Motomouse

Post by Motomouse »

Also had a blast with the russian side! Definitly prefer them in this scenario, although i lost desicivly [:D]. This was a raging battle this time.

Kudos to the Mad Russian!
Motomouse

Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Kam99, Redleg and Motomouse, thanks for your comments. I must move faster than the rest of you. I get more guys/tanks killed than you do. I'll have to work on my tactics some more in the game.

This is the first scenario that I want to base my first campaign on. The Panthers during this time frame should make for some interesting battles. Of course I'm trying to work through the campaign generator to see what all I can do there while still playing everyday to get better myself. The better I get at playing the game the better the scenarios I can make.

I have some other smaller scenarios I need to clean up and then post here as well.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
von Staudt

Post by von Staudt »

MR,

I played Cats Claws last night as Germans with normal difficulty.

What a battle! I won a decisive victory, but it was definitely not easy.

One issue I had, that is not related to your scenario, is why a turreted tank that loses mobility can no longer rotate it's turret. Have you seen that before?

I rushed the Panther platoon up onto the crest of the hill overlooking the town, where the entrenchments are. They turned the area where the road enters the other side of the town into a killing field! Burning Russian vehicles as far as the eye could see!

I had to dispatch one Panther and one PG platoon to deal with the T-34s and riding infantry coming for the flag to my left rear. Lucky for the Ruskies, that tank took a track hit, or they would have all died. As it was, they kept their flag by staying out of LOS of the lone, lame, Panther.

The other PG platoon rushed to the village in their HTs, using the woods for cover, dismounted, and occupied the houses. I set them for defend, ambush, and they ended up killing 2 tanks and an infantry platoon. They also maintained control of both the flags in the village.

I lost 2 Panthers on the hill crest. One died early to a lucky hit. The other took track and gun damage, and was abandoned about 3/4 way through. When the Panther exploded, it looked awesome, but at time went by, it reverted to it's normal graphics. We need to fix that. I had the tank commanders get shocked several times, but they always recovered in no more than 2 turns. Those Panthers are tough! [&o]

By the time my reinforcements arrived, it was almost over. The PG platoon and Panther platoon never fired a shot. [:@]

It was great fun to play. Great job MR! [:)]

I saw your advice to another player about going slower in PC than in CM. I agree to a point, but in this scenario you need to go fast to get in position before the Russians can get there. This map has lots of cover, so it is safer. Plus, your detailed briefing made it clear that it is a meeting engagement, so you know going in that the enemy has to move into contact too. As it was, I was ready and waiting for them. If I had been tenative, they would have occupied very strong positions, with lots of cover, and getting at them would have been very difficult and costly.

I will play this one again, for sure. Not sure if I want to play as the Russians though. I'm not that big a masochist![8D]

Return to “Scenarios and Campaigns”