Forge is a fine game

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

39battalion

Forge is a fine game

Post by 39battalion »

Well I have returned to playing FOF after a long layoff and must say I am really enjoying it much more now.

It is a satisfyingly deep game and I have finally worked out some of the issues which I found confusing initially such as supply. In fact I have had quite a few " lightbulb" moments ! Also the last major patch fixed a bunch of issues which bothered me when I first played FOF. So if there is anybody out there who hasn't played the game for a while after being initially disappointed I recommend you give it another go.It is a much better game now.

One of the "lightbulb" moments which has greatly improved gameplay was the realization that hitting the spacebar after you have done with a unit deselects it. This prevents you from mistakenly moving the unit which I used to do often in my first attempt at the game and which drove me crazy. And yes this useful advice is in the manual...but I somehow never noticed it before [8|]

I like games with lots of historic detail--and yes micromanagement--(my favourite game is WITP)and FOF certainly allows you to play this style of game if you wish. I also like games with a high immersion factor and FOF certainly delivers this.

I am playing as the CSA in the Coming Fury scenario with difficulty at Sergeant level and with the advanced game rules. Quite a challenge ! The Strategic AI is very agressive and keeps me on my toes. It is early in 1862 and I am struggling to hold back the Union advance. However I benefited from several important events such as Kentucky joining the CSA ( I thought this was rare thing ?) and the unhelpful Governor of Georgia losing the 1861 election and being replaced by a much more helpful Governor.

I don't use detailed combat for all battles but the ones I have used it for have been close and exciting contests.

Two questions about Generals--the information may be in the manual but I couldn't find it :

1.Do Generals capabilities improve or diminish as the result of experience in battle ?

2. One of the many nice features in the game are the unit histories which detail the units participation and performance in battles. Is this information also available somewhere for Generals ? This would really enhance the game.

All in all a great game which is a credit to the developers and designers

Gil R.

RE: Forge is a fine game

Post by Gil R. »

Thanks for your kind words. And it's good to see that you gave FOF another shot and are glad that you did -- you represent a trend I've been noticing lately.

You're right that it's rare for Kentucky to join the CSA, but it does happen. I think it's even more rare for Gov. Brown to be defeated right away, so you got lucky there. Now if only Vallandigham becomes governor of Ohio you'll be set...

As for your two questions, generals capabilities remain static (though in the FOF expansion we're considering we might make them a bit more multifaceted in this regard), and no, we don't have a "unit history" for generals. I do like the idea, so please add it to the Wish List thread. My guess is that it wouldn't be too hard for Eric to do for an expansion. (It can't be done for the current game because it would involve new interface programming and graphics.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
39battalion

RE: Forge is a fine game

Post by 39battalion »

Thanks Gil.

Wow I hadn't realised how lucky I was to have Gov. Brown replaced !

Perhaps this is an omen that the South may yet rise again......

I will add my suggestion for the General's battle history to the wishlist.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”