Corrected USA OOB posted at the OOB froum.

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Alby

Corrected USA OOB posted at the OOB froum.

Post by Alby »

Paul has Posted a corrected USA oob for version 7.1 over at the oob forum.
Corrects An engineer glitch.
Good hunting!
:)

Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

In the immortal words of Mr. Richard Feyder of Bayonne New Jersey to Ms Rosanne Rosannadanna:

Ya know, it always something...:eek:
Alby

Post by Alby »

Feel proud my good man, you did fine work! :)

Warrior2

Post by Warrior2 »

A bump.
Jackk

Re: Corrected USA OOB posted at the OOB froum.

Post by Jackk »

Originally posted by Alby
Paul has Posted a corrected USA oob for version 7.1 over at the oob forum.
Corrects An engineer glitch.
Good hunting!
:)
What exactly was the glitch?
And should everyone d/l this OOB to be "official"?
Jackk
"Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

I took teh FT away from teh wrong unit, so one unit that was supposed to have it didn;t, and two units that weren't supposed to have it do.

ITs as official as you want to make it. I've no doubt there will likely be a handful of other such mistakes that slipped by.

It doesn't warrant redoing the whole patch, or full install.

I wanted to demsonstrate how easy it is with the new atachment feature to 'fix" something you think is broken.

Given that the damns arent busting with modified OOBs I don't think whether a fix is "official" of not is that big a deal. IF it fixes something you think should be fixed, use it. If you see something you think needs to be fixed, post it like I did.

Hopefully someone will come along to keep a "best of" modified OOB file. We just don't have anyone here with the time to do it.

My attempt to deputize someone ended up going south, so if someone wants to declare themselves 'official keeper of the best **** OOB files period" go for it. Or two. A little competition for the title "best OOBs" probably wouldn't hurt.

The latest spreadsheet from hell will be posted in the pub ftp server in the next few days.

I did what I could in 7.1 but with thousands of line items times scores of data points, even 99.9 percent accuracy leaves lots of potential errors, not to mention those who think they can better model some aspect of some weapon unit or formation...AND CAN!

More important than official is what folks generally think of as "better". Many won't like the answer, but the OOB editor is out there, and with a steady flow of "official changes" there was little incentive to use it.

Now I am done and no more "official" patches will be done for the foreseeable future, so those of you itchin to try your hand, but thought "Oh Paul will fix it in the next patch"...well this is it...no more "official" patches.

You CAN try this at home :p
Warrior2

Re: Re: Corrected USA OOB posted at the OOB froum.

Post by Warrior2 »

Originally posted by Jackk

What exactly was the glitch?
And should everyone d/l this OOB to be "official"?
Since this fix came from Paul, I consider it part of the "Official" v7.1 update. However, as Paul says, there are still items that were missed. As a designer, I check all my units after I deploy and correct what I feel is necessary. That way I still have the "Official" Oob's so anybody can play my scenarios. For instance, I found Jap infantry with hundreds of rounds for their rifles. I didn't change that, since it's no big deal, but I did take away 99% of their smoke grenades, since I felt they had too many. I love our SPWaW editor for making it possible to customize units without changing the Oob's.
MacCready

Post by MacCready »

I dont see any posts regarding the US OOB fix at that forum,
Is the fix now included in the 7.1 download?
Alby

Post by Alby »

Originally posted by MacCready
I dont see any posts regarding the US OOB fix at that forum,
Is the fix now included in the 7.1 download?
Its the first post in the oob forum

here is the link
showthread.php?threadid=17034

MacCready

Post by MacCready »

Thanks,I now have all the files needed to install the whole shabang.
Jackk

Post by Jackk »

Yow, Paul!

Hey, I didn't mean to stoke yer flame there. I only asked about the official thing because I generally stick with the default stuff....meaning, I don't edit my units or use alternate OOBs at all.
I do that because my PBEM partners do, and I know if I get a new opponent, 99.9% of the time we'll have no mis-match problems.
I realize that there are many who edit everything until their hearts content, I just wondered if most people will accept the 7.1 patch OOB as is or will most people d/l it. I guess, that that would be a personal preference thing. I just wanted to make sure that I can still play against those 99.9% without having to switch OOBs or run 2-3 versions of 7.1 :)

And as far as future patches go, I hear you. Have heard you, and fully understood you. I realize that you guys aren't going to do anymore, you said as much when the 7.1 talk began. And because I go with the default stuff anyway, I really don't care either way. Through all the versions, one thing remains constant...I keep playing. And playing. And playing.

I sincerely hope you don't think I was complaining or trying to get more out of you guys. I was just asking.
Jackk
"Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"
Polrbear

Two Basic OOB Install Questions

Post by Polrbear »

1. To install the American updated OOB, I've downloaded a file called Attachment.PHP. Now what?
2. How do we know that ver 7.1 OOBs are installed properly, should OOB files be inthe main SPWAW directory or in the OOB directory?

Thanks to anyone responding.
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

Extract the OOB's to your main SPWAW directory.
The OOB directory contains only a bunch of old text files that can safely be deleted.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

I guess I have to limit my posts to 3 lines or folks think I'm mad!
:p

Don't you guys know me by know that asking what time it is gets you a watch building dissertation :D

I'll be scare in this forum for a while, not becasue I'm mad .. just busy. About a month's worth of work to be done in the next 2 weeks!

No offense taken, just my normal frenzied state!

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”