Offsides touchdown.

Post bug reports, ask for tech support and general requests for help with getting Maximum-Football working in this forum. This is for official support on official versions. Reports based on public beta versions should go in the Public Beta forum.

Moderator: David Winter

timewalker03

Offsides touchdown.

Post by timewalker03 »

While playing a quick game I had a strange occurance. Before the snap my right tackle moved offside and hit the defensive player for at least 1 sec. I hit the Space bar to snap the ball and proceeded to throw an 80 yard TD pass. There was no penalty called and the touchdown was allowed. Once the offensive player leaves his stance the play should be blown dead and a 5 yard penalty assessed.

I am running 2.2.7 or the most current patch I could D/L. I have not added any 3rd party products as of yet so this is the raw game with the current patch. I noticed earlier in the game a player hit another before the snap and about 3 seconds passed before the play was stopped and a penaly was assessed. I believe I could have snapped the ball in that time and no penalty would have been called. Thanks for all you guys do to make this game better. I look forward to the payed for patch and all the extras coming in the near future.
quixian

RE: Offsides touchdown.

Post by quixian »

I've had this happen once or twice before also - it'll only happen if you hike the ball before the ref blows the whistle for the offsides.  Maybe the length of time that passes before the ref throws the hanky could be shortened, to avoid this in the future.  It is pretty funny to see the head start get no-called, though... [:D]
timewalker03

Post by timewalker03 »

It is , but the rule is the whistle should be blown as soon as the player even flinches let alone leave his stance.
therhino

Post by therhino »

If you don't wan't it to happen as often changing how likely the refs are to call a penalty to hard will help I think. I am not sureif changing it will help, but with that comes a lot more flags. I like it when a guy gets a slight head start because sometimes a guy really does get away with something like that.
TheRhino
timewalker03

Post by timewalker03 »

I can understand that Rhino. If it happens though more than once a game the referees would need to be fired. They have 2 guys watching just for that type of thing. Linesman and a head linesman. I think this should be knocked back though to the rule of movement once the team is set. any movement is a 5 yard penalty.
Just my opinion.
Flamamarshall

Post by Flamamarshall »

The funny thing is this happened to me about two days ago as well. I distinctly saw my left offensive lineman jump from his stance and engage the defensive lineman and I immediately snapped the ball and threw a 23 yd TD pass. I was laughing because I was sure they would call it back but did'nt. I even watched the replay to make sure I just did not see it correctly. I was glad to see that someone else noticed this too. I thought it was just a random thing that happened with me.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Just to note, although offsides is often called correctlt in the real world, it isn't always called correctly.  As Rhino stated, sometimes players get away with it.

While I am sure this will be looked at, it isn't such a bad thing to have refs that are not infallible.
Flamamarshall

Post by Flamamarshall »

[:)] Yes I totally agree because in real life the refs are not perfect and they do sometimes make bad calls or do not always catch the infractions when they should. It was still hilarious though because on Madden the computer/console usually gets away with stuff like that. It's nice for something to work in my favor for a change even though I was destroying the other team anyways in this particular game.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

It's nice for something to work in my favor for a change even though I was destroying the other team anyways in this particular game.

Hmmm, did you hit the [SHIFT][4] key combination by mistake?
timewalker03

Post by timewalker03 »

I have no problem with it if it was once in a game. My teams right tackle jumped 4 times last night in a quick game each time resulting in a touchdown because I snapped the ball even after he had driven the defender 3 yrds. The only other choice is to wait till the referee blows his whistle which last night was at least 3 seconds after the movement contact was made. That is a little far fetched to me.

I called a friemd of mine last night after having this happen again. he is a Highschool and small college referee in the midwest.I asked him what would happen to refs if the same thing hapopened once in a real game. He told me that if it happened once in a season it would probably be Ok. More than once the officiating crew would be looked at very closely and even suspended if it wasas bad as the game had it. If it happened more than once in any game they would for sure be suspended and even fired for the error. He said all levels of college and pro referees are graded each game and must keep satisfactory scores to keep their jobs. If anything like this hapopened in a real game it would lower the grades and they would not be scheduled for any playoff games or Bowl games if it is D1 College.

Just some FYI
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

I have no problem with it if it was once in a game. My teams right tackle jumped 4 times last night in a quick game each time resulting in a touchdown because I snapped the ball even after he had driven the defender 3 yrds. The only other choice is to wait till the referee blows his whistle which last night was at least 3 seconds after the movement contact was made. That is a little far fetched to me.

I agree.

therhino

Post by therhino »

I havn't had the problem four times in all the time I have been playing. Thats a problem. One time I did notice that it took the ref to long, but I thought it was a glitch that had been fixed in 2.2. I have never seen the AI team take advantage of this though. They just wait for the penalty from what I have seen. It would be cool if every once in a while a defense line guy would get a head start.
TheRhino
David Winter

Post by David Winter »

Preventing someone from snapping the ball is something I can certainly add. This action should cause a stop in play so you should not be able to snap the ball.

The basic flow of the process can't change much however. The process of assessing and calling the penalty (blowing the whistle) doesn't happen until after the animation is complete and the game has moved to a different state. So there is going to be a couple of seconds where the player is engaged before the whistle blows. The animation is purposefully done this way, and purposefully very noticeable. I wanted the infraction to be blatantly obvious. You're never going to notice a 'twitch' animation.

thanks
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
timewalker03

Post by timewalker03 »

David If I was to vote I would vote for removing the ability to snap. and wait for the whistle to blow. is there any way to shorten the animation time?
Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

This is one of those situations where you can "screw with" the game and beat it with illegal action. When I see an OL jump, I just don't snap the ball. I know that I could snap it and proceed with the play but I don't. I guess it's the "Boy Scout" in me.

Old Coach

Return to “Maximum-Football Support”