Mod PzKpfw IVE Brown Green

Please post here for questions and discussion about unit modeling and general game modding. You can also post your new units and modifications here.

Moderator: EagleMountainDK

z1812

Mod PzKpfw IVE Brown Green

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Here is a IVE skin Mod for you all. I hope you like it. As always JSGME ready and the download is in the next post.

Regards John

Attachments
IVE.jpg
IVE.jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 98 times
z1812

RE: Mod PzKpfw IVE Brown Green

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Here is the download for the Mod.

Regards John
Attachments
z1812sPzK..wnGreen.zip
(129.52 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

Thanx John, I hope you someday will write a little skinning tutorial. I open those DDS files and see the full 3D model in 2D, and I'm really not sure where to start [;)]
Stridor

Post by Stridor »

John,

Each new release is better than the last.

Very nice.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

S.
himmelstoss

Post by himmelstoss »

very beautiful!

at least i know where ur xtra time goes for pbem,lol![;)]

keep them great mods coming, plz!

thx,

himmel
tell it like you think it is!

Stridor

Post by Stridor »

John,

I don't know if you would consider this but your could move to highres (1024x1204) textures at some stage (or release a hires pack) They do look much better up close. I don't know what tools you use but you could also start work on the normal maps (which give the small flat details a nice 3D look without extra geometry). I think with your talent and a wider "canvas" of tools to work with you could make some killer stuff!

Just a thought

S.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Thank you for the kind words. It is always nice to know your work is appreciated.

Hi Stridor,

I have not looked into Hi-Res yet but I have been thinking of it lately. Is there a way to convert what I have already done? The tools I use are Paint Net and Corel Photo Paint 12. Thanks for the encouragement.

Regards John
Stridor

Post by Stridor »

John,

You can resize the dds to 1024x1204 from the 512x512 but you will need to redraw the details at the new res as the resize won't add any extra detail.

What I would do is to resize the dds in your paint program to 1024x1204. Then make it slightly transparent. Then in a new layer ontop of the resized dds start drawing new detail. When you are done save your base work as a bmp (for future use or distribution in a non-lossy format) then convert it to a dds. Call it body.dds (or whatever the model expects) and there you go a high res texture which will look much better close up.

Whilst you are there take a look at the normal.bmp. You can hand edit these but it is better if you have a plugin to make them for you. The nvidia photoshop dds plugins do this automatically. If you add new details (esp 3D like rivets, etc) to a texture you should redo the normal map so that when the player pans around the model the lighting will pick them up and show them in pseudo 3D for a more detailed looking model.
Stridor

Post by Stridor »

I don't use Paint net or Corel (can either of them take photshop plugins?) but I am sure if you looked there would be a program somewhere out there which does the same thing (re: normal map generator from texture) as the photoshop plugins do.

The normal maps if done well do make a big difference esp for things like rivets, weld lines, cracks, bullet holes, dents, etc, hatch lines, hatch handles, vents, etc.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Nice job, John, added to my Mods!

I agree with Stridor, you're doing great work but you should explore the 1024x1024 high res option and take a look at the normal maps too. Between those two, you can really make the vehicles eye-popping.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

I discovered a small artifact around the spare tread wheel which I have now fixed. Please update your files with the arrachment below. It will overwrite the current file.

Regards John
Attachments
z1812sPzK..wnGreen.zip
(129.4 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ok - dumb question - is this a replacement for one of the "generic" entries, or is replacing the skin for an existing unit model?

Thanks
Rick
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

z1812's first line is this is a skin mod...

Yes, for an exsisting model.

Edit, should be used in battles after mid 1943.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
433tom

Post by 433tom »

Very nice. thanks.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

z1812's first line is this is a skin mod...

Yes, for an exsisting model.

Edit, should be used in battles after mid 1943.

Ok thanks, - just making sure I understood what "skin" meant - U never used any mods with CMBB so wanted to make sure my understanding of terminology was correct.

Thanks
Rick

Return to “Maps, Models and Mods”