Attention AI players

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Delyn Locksmiths

RE: Attention AI players

Post by Delyn Locksmiths »

Sorry folks, just got in from work to find this thread. I thought the graphics were included in the zip file i sent you ironcrom. they were not included in the file I uploaded as it kept timing out. I can set it up with the standard Graphics if you prefer. I just liked nicks real mod, and the version I'm using doesn't seem to have an error searching for grqaphics on start up either. I must have done something wrong putting it together in the zip file. And I thought that was the easy bit!
Delyn Locksmiths

I just downloaded the version off the site, I didn't upload it, someone else must have (ironcrom?). It seems to have all the files to me?
Delyn Locksmiths

ORIGINAL: Rick

Im looking forward to this one. But the version posted is only Human vs Human. Also, I had to reinstall Nicks rea2,ptmaster to play. I'd prefer to play this either on the AT original, or even on your boardgame master set.

I'd suggest if setting your Third Reich to use stand. AT graphics and put in your notes or briefing that it is compatiible with the real2 mod (if you've checked it for winter months).

Also - I think you have it set incorrectly for play against AI.

Thanks - this is a great idea - I know I play mostly vs AI and Third Reich is a great oldie - I really wouldn't mind seeing the graphics from 3R used.

Thanks
Rick

EDIT: I feel dumb - I checked my AT email and saw I had the later version from Delyn. He also said he was having problems getting it to upload to the community site so he sent it to a few folks. I see IronCrom was able to get it uploaded.

OK, tommorow night I'll get a version with no password so people can change the graphics, it is compatible with all the standard masterfiles. I'll also include the reich picture which I seem to have forgotten. Other than that the file uploaded looks correct. I'll send it to you again if thats ok ironcrom as it times out when i try and upload it.

Rick, what do you think is wrong about the AI set up?
Delyn Locksmiths

One thing I think we shoudl change is make some stationary units for the AI on the maignot line. France is very aggressive out of Maignot, and loses the benefit of terrain as a result. On the other hand, she does take some containing in the first turn or two whilst you finish off poland.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Delyn Locksmiths

OK, tommorow night I'll get a version with no password so people can change the graphics, it is compatible with all the standard masterfiles. I'll also include the reich picture which I seem to have forgotten. Other than that the file uploaded looks correct. I'll send it to you again if thats ok ironcrom as it times out when i try and upload it.

Rick, what do you think is wrong about the AI set up?

Delyn,

Comments were on a earlier version before Ironcrom uploaded your latest. Sorry.

Rick
IRONCROM

Post by IRONCROM »

Ah good. So v1a has all the graphics included.

I wonder if anyone out there knows how Tom has managed to keep the French so passive on Maginot in WAW. They will still attack but there attacks are few.
Any thought about the 4 units starting out attached to OKW. I'm thinking it would be better if they were attached to the 2 HQ's stationed in the Polish theater.
IRONCROM

Post by IRONCROM »

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

Okay  it looked the same to me in that I couldn't pick which side to play - but the AI is moving!  Cool - now if we could only play the Allied side someday. But, one step at a time right?
I'll report back when I've played it a bit.
I believe Delyn said he has plans for making another version later on down the road that would be for AI playing the Axis. I think it is best to have seperate versions so you can tweak the AI to give the human player the best fight.
Falke

Post by Falke »

Thanks to Ironcrom i am now playing the correct version, but the .zip is not quite set up correctly. I extracted to the /bin directory (as per the normal instructions on the community site), but it created a new /bin and sub folders within the actual /bin . After some copy/paste all is fine.

Currently played to May 1940.(FOW on)

Notable events:
                    Took warsaw in turn1 and the Poles surrendered at the start of turn 2

During Sitzkrieg the french attacked and took heavy casulties, they also abandoned a couple of hexes which i then took over.
                    In this phase i generally just used art. & airstrikes to attack the french while building up a new force for the attack into the low countries.

The AI really needs to play defensively and not abandon any part of the maginot line.
I did get a surpise in Jan where the AI after having Aircraft slaughtered in the previous months launched massive airstrikes(losses were 2:1 in my favor but the numbers of fighters were a shock).

In april i used the card to launch blitzkrieg - Took Brussels , amsterdam held until may and unfortunatly Lille was to far for an attack (a large number of aircraft where there without a ground garrison) the air units moved out & a garrison unit moved there.
Rommels troops are moving slowly forward and cautiously.

R&D So far i have Rifle2,Mortar2 & MG2.
       The AI has  Mortar3,MG3, Ltank 2,inf gun2,Mtank2   - is there any way to force the AI to choose Rifle 2 first? This is usually my first upgrade since due to the amount of rifle fielded it gives the greatest benefit.

IRONCROM

Post by IRONCROM »

Yea I noticed that as well. I believe if you extract into the advanced tactics folder instead of the bin it will install correcty. That is something that should be fixed before the final version.

The French...
 I think it would be worth while for Delyn to PM Tom and ask him for advice on the aggressive French behavior. In WAW against the AI the French are not nearly so aggressive.

IMHO
Delyn Locksmiths

well I've had some ideas to make the French play more defensivley. If it's the general consensus that they should, then I'll get working on it. Tha AI has a production advantage to help it cope with events like Vichy, and because it's basically not very good at complex scenarios. But I'm thinking of coding some events to improve the AI, which will mean i can lessen it's productiona advatage. That will make early achievement by the AI of very high techs difficult. I think that would be an improvement, any comments?

I also need to fix US entry if Britian is conquered, I have no intenet access (dashed down to mcdonalds to read my emails!) due to Orange broadband been a bunch of incompetent tits so I'll have plenty of time to make the changes. I'll also change the HQ of the cargoships and the central forces for the Ploish campaign. Can anyone think of anything else which needs doing?

I'll knock verion 1b together this weekend.
Falke

Post by Falke »

Cant think of anything else yet, but im only upto Nov 40 and will be restarting due to making some major mistakes.
I didnt use polish forces for france but rather new troops (played too much WAW).
I am continually juggling production and always feel it is too low compared to other scenarios since capturing cities only denies production and does not increase your own. Makes it challenging [8D]
Delyn Locksmiths

Yup, got to capture sweedish iron ore, gulf oil or russian oil to increase your production. Speers economic reforms double your production too. But you'll need that once the US is in the war!
Falke

Post by Falke »

Played a game upto Jan 44 (when the game crashed) at that point i had all of Russia, UK,North africa only Gib remained to be taken.

Some Notes:
                 a) North africa - The AI initially advanced and took most of the Italian possesions and also made a naval invasion that almost kicked me out , but managed to find resources to send their.Then slogged forward and eventually took the gulf oil (after Russia had been defeated),although the advance slowed whenever the Brit fleet appeared (10BB 50CA!!!)

b) Russia  - Started in June 41, couldn't start earlier due to finishing Balkans and not having enough troops. The initial assault was not impressive, only managed to advance a little bit (too many russians,not enough own troops) except for Lenigrad which was taken in the first turn (need some forts here and to anchor more troops).After the poor start i gradually managed to advance and slowly ground forward. In the crimea the AI did keep making spoiling amphibious assaults which where anoying. Finally took stalingrad in June 42 (Moscow taken earlier) but Game did not end!!.

Suggest making the Blitz card 75% , but give the Russians more production after war is declared and/or move more of their production to the rear areas.

c) West.   They did build a massive fleet and air war meant me sending fighters to the west to keep them in check. Unfortunaly the AI keeps trying to Land troops in the same defended hex again and again which makes defending easier. In march43 it did then land in an undefended hex (10 large Units) it was only the airforce and nearby elite units(preparing for a sealion) that allowed me to defeat it quickly. I launched sealion in June 43, (un)fortunatly the AI only blocked supply for 1 turn. The massive fleet (10+BB 40+CA 30DD) was eventually beaten by in it scuttling in Port.

If the AI made better use of naval units the UK production could be reduced.The AI never bombarded with naval units.
I also think that Subs need a boost vs CA and BB (61 Sub2 + 12 BB2 +5 CA3 vs  9BB +23 CA2 +2DD  , i lost 33SS 2CA 4BB vs 1BB 8CA 1DD)

d)  Turkey Joined  the Axis 3 times, after the first time the event needs  to be deactivated.

regards
Delyn Locksmiths

Thank you falke, exactly the kind of feedback i need to fix it. Did the US give you any problems? Did it join the war effectivley?
Falke

Post by Falke »

The messages about US production did turn up and i saw some US units. My sealion went fairly easy due to heavy air superiortity which could pound any large ground units prior to attacking them. Had the main UK fleet stayed in position to block supply my sealion troops would have been toast, instead the fleet retreated to port where it got destroyed by a land attack.

The naval AI issues are probably not items that can be dealt with in a scenario,all you might be able to do is to reduce how much is built and if possible keep the fleet spilt between UK & Med.

One item i forgot in the last post. The Balkan Allies HQ had the UK HQ as its superior when they joined.
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

I've been playing this for a while now. Had to restart twice because of major screw up on my side. But when you know what you are doing it seems to play pretty well. The French are way to offensive throughout the winter. That actually works for German as he can use his arty and air power to kill a lot of them off before the invasion begins.

I just took Paris, and got all the messages about Vichy, etc. What really bugs me is that there are still plenty of French units facing me. This seems to be a real problem with AT, not being able to get a country to surrender and disband all it's units when it does. This of course will slow down the German from prepping for attacking Russia or whatever he chooses to do.

That's it for now, keep up the good work!
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Delyn Locksmiths

AT can make units surrender. But it's not actionee din this scenario APART from the fall of france, if you establ;ish a vichy regime all those french and british units in France should be interned.
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Thanks Delyn, I'll give it a try. It still limits the German player choices but at least there's a way to do it, so that's good!
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
R.E.LEE

Post by R.E.LEE »

Delyn plz dont give up on this AI thing as i usaly only play solo and would love some challanges for a change,i dont get the game for 2 weeks,and hope your senerio will be done by then,also hope the download comes complete with graphics and all, cause im not good with computers and multiple files etc,nice to just download into senerio folder and play.cheers
ghoward

Post by ghoward »

Hi Delyn. I just downloaded and installed v1a and all went smoothly. I am still getting the cant find reich.jpg mentioned earlier in the thread. Take a close look at the path specifier, I think there is a backslash where there needs to be a slash.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”