combat is also a little illogical

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Xikar

RE: combat is also a little illogical

Post by Xikar »

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

I'm not sure how you could lose 12 to 15 factors if he only has 18 there, that's like 80-90% casualty losses. Did this actually happen or are you exaggerating? If that is actually happening then something is wrong UNLESS you mean you lost a lot of troops in PURSUIT.

No, I am NOT exaggerating. Combat went for a few rounds and my army, what was left of it, retreated.

This is not to say that it's IMPOSSIBLE to lose a battle with over 3 to 1 odds- such has happened historically and there are the fluke results in random number generators that make it possible in a game- but I am saying that there were way too many battles where I had superior morale, numbers and tactical leadership and that AI got aweful lucky. Reminds me of the days when I played axis & allies and that AI seemed to get 1's a lot on the computerized dice rolll and shoot down all my bombers that flew over his territory.

Clint
bresh

Post by bresh »

Mr.Godo :)

If you wanna quote me, please quote something i write, and not something i quote :)
I only quoted:
Leader advantages are ignored? Well, that's makes about as much sense as a rubber crutch in a hospital ward...

Regards
Bresh
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

ORIGINAL: Xikar

No, I am NOT exaggerating. Combat went for a few rounds and my army, what was left of it, retreated.

This is not to say that it's IMPOSSIBLE to lose a battle with over 3 to 1 odds- such has happened historically and there are the fluke results in random number generators that make it possible in a game- but I am saying that there were way too many battles where I had superior morale, numbers and tactical leadership and that AI got aweful lucky. Reminds me of the days when I played axis & allies and that AI seemed to get 1's a lot on the computerized dice rolll and shoot down all my bombers that flew over his territory.

Clint

Clint, I don't quite see the point of your posts. Are you looking for sympathy or for a solution to your issues ?

If you want a solution then you need to provide much more evidence. Which corps and leaders were present at the battle ? What strength points ? What chits were picked and what were the die rolls ? Do you have a save game from that point ?

If you *have* uncovered a bug, we're all keen to see it identified and fixed, but this can't be done without some hard evidence for Marshal to work on.
Regards
David
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Xikar:

I am curious about the casualty level here that you reported. Was it pursuit that took the most?
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Essentially, to those that are complaining, it's hard to take you seriously when you haven't even read the rules and understand the game. Furthermore, for your OWN ENJOYMENT ( you paid the money, you should get full enjoyment from it) you really should read the rules before playing the game, the things bresh mentioned can be taken full advantage of by yourself too, since they are part of the rules.

I can't dispute this, but in fairness it is difficult for newbies to simply read the rules and instantly comprehend all the many nuances. I tried pointing this out on the Land Combat Stuff thread. Where possible in the combat screens, information popups and the presentation of applicable bonuses and penalties would be most helpful. The rules are the rules of course, but why not show via user interface enhancements what the effects of forests are, what that known opposing Turkish leader does, what your own leader(s) can do, etc. Heck, an automated "caddy" might be nice... "Sir, I would recommend the escalated assault or outflank today." I'm not suggesting a substitution for reading the rules, just that some player aids would be appreciated.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

I can't dispute this, but in fairness it is difficult for newbies to simply read the rules and instantly comprehend all the many nuances. I tried pointing this out on the Land Combat Stuff thread. Where possible in the combat screens, information popups and the presentation of applicable bonuses and penalties would be most helpful. The rules are the rules of course, but why not show via user interface enhancements what the effects of forests are, what that known opposing Turkish leader does, what your own leader(s) can do, etc. Heck, an automated "caddy" might be nice... "Sir, I would recommend the escalated assault or outflank today." I'm not suggesting a substitution for reading the rules, just that some player aids would be appreciated.

I absolutely agree that some extra "hints and features" in the UI would be great. There are a TON of things happening in EiA (it's a very complex game), many of which go on behind the scenes in EiANW so it is easy for the inexperienced user to get confused and frustrated.

Part of that, I think, is that the inexperienced user comes here and reads these forums and realizes that there are a ton of bugs with the game, so now every time something happens in the game that he/she doesn't understand they think it must be a bug because the "apparently" (according to some of the forum posters here) the game is really screwed up beyond being playable (which I don't believe to be the case at all).

Return to “Tech Support”