Mafia

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Mafia

Post by JudgeDredd »

Some one on the wargamer forums mentioned a sequel to the Mafia game called, erm....Mafia 2!!

And it got me wondering...why did I complete that game so many years ago?

I mean, I have a shed load of games. Some you can play to completion (EUIII, Civiliazation IV, Rainbow Six Vegas), others "not to completion" (F1 99-02, GTR2, Flight Sim X)

There are, from what I recall, 3 games I have "completed" in my life...Mafia, Max Payne and Call of Duty 4. There could be more, but those "stick out".

So why do those games stick out...out of the "hundreds" of games I played?

The immediate answer that springs to mind is STORY. Each one of those games has "a story" and not just any story...a compelling story. You really want to see what goes on with the character...you bond with them in a way you do not or may not with other games.

Alot of my games can be classified as "non -ending" in that, for example GTR2, when I complete a season, I can start a new season and up the ante as it were.

But of all the games I've EVER completed (and I am sure there are more than the 3 I mentioned), these 3 stick in my mind because the story was excellent.

So I think maybe I need my games to "tell me a story" and be compelling about it, if I am to remember it.

Anyway, Mafia.

I tried to find my old copy, but must have sold it at a car boot sale. So I bought it from Game for £4.99. Well...that was this afternoon at 12pm. It's now 01:51 and I've just decided I MUST STOP in order to be ready for tomorrow's BBQ....the story is fantabulous. You immediately warm to the character. You understand why he has to/will do the things he has to do.

I am completely sucked in again!

The game, for any people who like FPS games, is an absolute must buy...and it's so cheap now. AND...it will get you up to speed for Mafia 2.

When I bought it and played it, it was the best £29.99 I paid for a game, ever. For £4.99...even though it's my second time round, I can't help but feel I'm ripping off the devs...they produced a gem here.

Absolute classic.
Alba gu' brath
Grell

RE: Mafia

Post by Grell »

Hi JD,

You said it friend! That game (Mafia) is amazing. I played through it twice and you are right it is a classic.

Regards,

Greg
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Mafia was simply superb. No other word does it justice.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Gta 3 and vice city never got completed. But like you mafia and call of duty 3 did. The  other one I really remeber finishing was half life 2 and that excellent game system shock 2.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Mafia had a very good story. Few if any games ever achieve that level. Story usually doesnt matter in computer games. Its often secondary to everything else.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Remember the race at the track before the noob patch.

OMG it was truly imposable wining that race, I cant remember how many times my key board driving skills failed on the last lap .

True classic
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I've never played it, although I'm tempted now [:D]  I have to say that most of the games that I have completed have had good (IMO) story lines.  A good story line will drive the game forward, and also tends to compensate for slight flaws in the game.  The games I most remember finishing are the likes of Blade Runner, Monkey Island Games and Call of Duty 4.  Good times [:)]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

I could never do the beat-everyone-up-with-baseball-bats level.

Which is a shame, it was a blast up until then.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I've never played it, although I'm tempted now [:D]

The game is still in sales (cheap) and the graphics havent aged that bad. I just replayed it through few months ago. I would still give it ago especially now that sequel is in works. Its better than any of the GTAs imho (story in those games is ridiculous and childish plus the characters are mostly insane).
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Krasny

I could never do the beat-everyone-up-with-baseball-bats level.

Which is a shame, it was a blast up until then.
Probably one of the best endings to a game ever...and you missed it unfortunately.

There is a cheat for invulnerability of you do get that "cheesed off" feeling in the game. I've been known to run the occasional cheat to get me over a level if it's getting to the point where I'm going to lob the computer.

As for the baseball bat...the trick is to get behind them, click and hold to build up power in your swing and then let loose...a full pelt whack on the head is normally all it takes.

I've been stuck on all the levels I was stuck on in my last run in with the game (not ran a cheat yet, though). Been playing it all weekend. Even the "Free" wheeling is fun...just drive round the city, speeding, outrunning the cops, shooting bad guys...pure carnage.

Great game. Not finished it yet, though.
Alba gu' brath
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

You forgot the sheer pleasure of just looking at things. Driving around in Lost Heaven, listening to the sound track and soaking up the immersion factor. It's beyond fantastic.
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

Reading the comments here I'm up for trying this. Does anyone know if it is Vista friendly?
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You forgot the sheer pleasure of just looking at things. Driving around in Lost Heaven, listening to the sound track and soaking up the immersion factor. It's beyond fantastic.
Yep...forgot about that. ON free ride, just driving around, taking in the sights. You even get to pic up passengers in your cab and they tell you to take them some where.

So sweeeet.

And sorry, Mac67, but I don't know if it's Vista compatible. But the game is worth buying a copy of XP and reformatting...ok...too far [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

Thanks for the tips, you're Judgeness.

I will reinstall the game.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Mac67

Reading the comments here I'm up for trying this. Does anyone know if it is Vista friendly?
lauter52 over at wargamer on this thread said he had Mafia working on Vista
Alba gu' brath
Grell

Post by Grell »

I can't believe they are making a sequel. It'll probably not run on my current PC and that stinks.

Regards,

Greg
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I personally think they shouldn't have. Mafia is such a good game it should have been left to stand forever and ever, amen.
Grell

Post by Grell »

Hi Big T,

I agree, but I am hopeful it will be entertaining, that's the very least it could offer.

Regards,

Greg
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yup...
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm along the lines of your thinking T...I wonder if they can follow Mafia. It really is a very high benchmark in terms of overall gaming experience.

I took a drive down to the Lighthouse last night and sat in the car listening to the waves lapping the cliffs and the seagulls....in the game, by the way...not real life! [;)]
Alba gu' brath

Return to “General Discussion”