Baseball Board and PC Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Adam Parker

Baseball Board and PC Games

Post by Adam Parker »

I recently saw a box in my local game store called Pizza Box Baseball and to this Aussie, it looks interesting, so thinking about picking it up.

I'm looking for something that pits teams on the field against each other, not managing these teams and making the trades in other words. The ability to take current and historical rosters and see how they match up. That type of thing.

Are there any recommendations for such games on the market - board or PC?

Side note - what are people's favorite Baseball books currently in print?

I'm reading Black and Blue the story of the '66 World Series and have Watching Baseball, the 2008 print, on is way from Amazon now.

Wouldn't mind slowly putting a nice baseball library together over time. Guess I'm catching the bug [;)]
robpost3

RE: Baseball Board and PC Games

Post by robpost3 »

Sparky Lyle-The Bronx Zoo
great read, a kind on diary/commentary on a day to day basis of life on the Yankees...really good book from a player perspective written with P. Golenbock (anything with Golenbock is gritty and good)...

“Cy Young to Sayonara,” was how Nettles put it. (Golenbock later collaborted with Nettles on his book, “Balls”).

serious locker room stuff as well as press and politics and player ego...
excerpt:
*Of all the Lyle pranks, his trademark stunt became his "treatment" of birthday cakes that arrived at Yankee Stadium. When a player celebrated a birthday during the season, the Yankees typically arranged to have a large birthday cake delivered to the clubhouse. As soon as Lyle got wind of the cake’s impending arrival, he prepared to take action. Waiting in the clubhouse until the cake was placed on a table, Lyle then pulled down his pants (including his underwear), jumped up in the air, and proceeded to sit on top of the cake! With another cake effectively buried, yet another Yankee teammate was frustrated in his effort to celebrate his birthday. (Former Yankee outfielder Ron Swoboda once exacted the ultimate revenge on Lyle, doing something unmentionable to one of his birthday cakes.)

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

I've enjoyed "Safe by a Mile" by Charlie Metro. His recollections of playing and managing are priceless. Plus his time in the minor leagues give the reader a picture of a often neglected part of baseball. Its published by University of Nebraska Press and the ISBN is 0-8032-8281-8.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Out of the Park Baseball 2009, for the PC, has a pre-order deal that you can buy the game for $24 rather than the full price of $35. I really LOVED OOTP 2007, but did not pay the $19 to upgrade to OOTP 8. They have broken with SI now, so there is a lot of good changes coming and it will suppposedly ship with historical players and teams (although no player pic or team logos, but you can add these easily).

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Custer1961

Post by Custer1961 »

Baseball is undergoing a slow revolution in the eyes of some people.  This revolution is the result of a former fan named Bill James.  James was trained in mathematics and his use of many new forms of statisitics has changed the way fans and professionals look at and judge the players and teams that perform.  This "new" method is referred to as Sabremetrics.  There are many free sites that will explain all about it. 

The book that is considered by many as a must have for any true baseball fan is called "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis.  It explains Sabremetrics and how it was put into practice by the Oakland A's.  It was a national bestseller and you can get it cheap.  

Sites with computer baseball games:
http://www.diamond-mind.com/index.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/
I think this is the best computer game and has a demo too.

http://sbs-baseball.com/

Sites with board baseball games:
http://www.strat-o-matic.com/

http://tabletopbaseball.org/
This site is dedicated to the old Avalon Hill board baseball game "Statis Pro Baseball".  I loved it. 

Sites Dedicated to baseball and Sabremetrics:
http://www.ballparkguys.com/

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main
I really like this site but it can be heavy on the math.  Sorta like baseball for grognards.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/

http://www.orioleshangout.com/
A site for my favorite team.

There are many, many other sites too.
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

For simply playing the game on the field I would look at Diamond Mind.
andym

Post by andym »

there is an excellent card game Called "Armchair Cricket" and has to be one of the best all time games to play and drink to![:D][:D][:D]
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
82nd Airborne

Post by 82nd Airborne »

strat-o-matic baseball, has both board and computer versions.
"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal." - Abraham Lincoln
sysrkm

Post by sysrkm »

Hello Adam,

Try finding a game called APBA Baseball. At the time I owned it, in the early 80's, it was from a company here in the states in Pennsylvania.
If you're really into baseball and would like to play a boardgame that really gives you a good feel for the game, give this one a try.

I've played APBA Baseball and Stratomatic Baseball, and APBA Baseball wins hands down.

Just for grins, I googled APBA Baseball and found IT'S STILL BEING PRODUCED and has been continuously since 1951 !!!
APBA has branched into the computer age and has computer versions, but for true boardgame fun, I'm sure cash spent on APBA Baseball will be cash well spent. I might try looking to see if I can find any of my card sets! Here's a link to their site...

APBA Home Page

Good luck with your search!

Regards,

Rob, aka sysrkm, aka dethgod74
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

ActionPC makes a pretty good PC baseball game and you can d/l it and the seasons from the site.

PC Baseball
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

I recently saw a box in my local game store called Pizza Box Baseball and to this Aussie, it looks interesting, so thinking about picking it up.

I'm looking for something that pits teams on the field against each other, not managing these teams and making the trades in other words. The ability to take current and historical rosters and see how they match up. That type of thing.

Are there any recommendations for such games on the market - board or PC?

Strat o matic and Ball Four, the good old days [:D]
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Thanks lads, I really appreciate all your feedback (reserving thoughts on Andy's cricket heads up [:D])! There's a lot to choose from - but boy, I can't believe that just as wargaming took a detour in the 80's, "America's Favourite Passtime" also suddenly hit a drought of sports board games too.

It really is a credit to the fans who are keeping these now out of print games alive for so long. RE-PRINT 'EM! [:)] Thanks so much for the tips on APBA and Stratomatic. I'd never heard of APBA before. And for all the links! I'm still going through them now.

I just picked up a copy of Pizza Box Baseball. I mean it's a gutsy new 2008 release and I think the guys behind deserve all the support they can get. I've been reading a PDF of the rule these past days and it looks good. It's generic - no real life team rosters but someone has already worked up a variant where MLB stats can be imported into a set of team cards.

Going by the past, no one seems to have done it better than the venerable Avalon Hill. Looking at pics of their Statis Pro game board, it just speaks volumes on design and putting info at the player's finger tips.

As for the PC offerings, they seems to be a solid way to go for the grognard. What I feel these developers need to do though, is simplify their web sites and increase the amount of information behind their games and massively increase the number of screen pics of the action. I got lost in so many of them - including Matrix's Pure Sim page. I honestly couldn't find a clear outline of what that game does and how it plays - though it really beckons for a download.

Anyway, thanks so much again. I will be Stateside during the current season (looking forward to seeing a game) - and will look at taking some game boxes and books home! I dare say, Stratomatic may be one of them but if boxes of APBA are around, I'll look for that too.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Adam, you really should consider Pure Sim.  It offers a number of options in play-style, and doesn't bog down into minute detail as OOTP does. Pure Sim is a player's game, and a number of user-designed enhancements are available.    
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Adam, you really should consider Pure Sim.  It offers a number of options in play-style, and doesn't bog down...

Well KG, I think you've been playing this one for a long, long time!

So how would a simpleton like me approach the game? It looks a bit duanting. Do I just download the game and that's all I need or will I need lots of add-ons?

To what extent do I need ot manage and train my teams?

I think I'd rather coach my teams during a game/seris than manage their strategic assets if you know what I mean?

And what about game stability? Are the majority of people crash and error free?

Thanks (and let me know if you want to discuss this over at the Pure Sim forum),
Adam.
panzers

Post by panzers »

Has anyone heard of the game called: pursue the pennant? I bought it when it first came out. Actually, I bought two numbered editions in 1981. One I opened the other is sealed. Wonder what they're worth?
GJK

Post by GJK »

I've thought about picking up a copy of "Pizza Box" - let us know how you like it when you've had a chance to give it a play.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
wesy

Post by wesy »

+1 on Diamond Mind. for play by play game simulation imho it's the best around.
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: GJK

I've thought about picking up a copy of "Pizza Box" - let us know how you like it when you've had a chance to give it a play.

So far it's a game that's solitairable - but only mostly so at the AAA and Pro levels.

It's really a game of bluff, luck and hubris. At the most basic level, the pitching side draws 5 cards with white/black squares. The batting side then has only 2 cards from which to respond - black or white. The sides play a card. Compare the colors and draw a result. Not much of game and definitely no solitaire decision making.

At AAA and Pro level bunts and steals add to the batting options. Pitching depth appears. Pinch hitters etc. Some different pitching calls and a bit more strategy.

But imo so far, this really is a game for 2 players and will be a fun time.

But looking at the designs of older games, there's a reason I feel why they use dice and reference charts. The card play in PB BB feels a bit like Snap with a beautiful game board in front of you.
Dave_T

Post by Dave_T »

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/tabletopbaseball/ is a discussion group for games like

Avalon Hill Statis-Pro Baseball, APBA Baseball, Strat-O-Matic Baseball, Sports Illustrated Superstar Baseball, Pursue the Pennant / Dynasty League Baseball / IBL and Pennant Race.  

PureSim & OOTP are both simulators and are more asset management based. You can play through the individual games but the aim is for longer term "dynasty" development. Both are playable from download, the only add-ons are stuff like face packs which add colour and databases which add depth.

Playability wise I'd reccomend PureSim from Matrix, if you want depth on management go for OOTP where you can customise the depth from just MLB & AAA trhough to AA, A, Rookie, etc.

Both can be used for multiplayer online leagues.

They both have fully functional trial downloads, so download 'em both & see if either of them floats your boat.
The time has come for you to choose, you'd better get it right. Berlin girls with sharp white teeth are waiting in the night.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

The main thing I don't like about puresim is the resolution.  On full screen it HAS to be 1024x768.  My native res is different so it looks like crap.  Playing in a window is too small.  OOTP can be as difficult or simple as you'd like.  If you just want to play the game, you can have the computer handle all the financials, trades, or whatever you want.  

Return to “General Discussion”