Light Snow Terrain

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

junk2drive

Light Snow Terrain

Post by junk2drive »

As I understand it, winter 44-45 Western Europe battles were not very snowy. I would like a light snow terrain mod for 3D view.

There are screenshots of Squad Battles Winter War at wargamer.com in an AAR that has terrain with what I perceive as light snow. Anyone have this new game yet and would that terrain be moddable to CS?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Miamieagle

RE: Light Snow Terrain

Post by Miamieagle »

I think thats a terrific Idea!

Only as a option dow.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

As I understand it, winter 44-45 Western Europe battles were not very snowy. I would like a light snow terrain mod for 3D view.

There are screenshots of Squad Battles Winter War at wargamer.com in an AAR that has terrain with what I perceive as light snow. Anyone have this new game yet and would that terrain be moddable to CS?

You could create new snow graphics and swap them in when you want to use them.

Jason Petho
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Paul, I started to tinker with this idea, something like this?

Mike
Attachments
Snow3d.jpg
Snow3d.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
cw58

Post by cw58 »

I also like this idea. There's something about the original snow terrain graphics that bothers my eyes. Maybe because I haven't seen a lot of real snow in my lifetime. (I'm a non-skiing Californian.) [;)] I've even gone so far as to change the ground conditions in a scenario just to be able to play it and enjoy playing it. I know what some of you are thinking: Sacrilege! And, to make matters worse, it really slows down those pesky Russian ski platoons.[:D]

I don't think it's necessary to add a new ground condition to the game, but to be able to swap out the original graphics for a new, improved version would be great. And I think that Warhorse's initial effort is a big step in the right direction. Keep up the good work! And thanks.

cw58
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

This is part of the AAR screen that caught my eye. More of a green grass poking throught the snow look. I'm just hoping for something other than the Siberia look we have now. Since these are both Tiller games, I was hoping that the bmps could be converted without much work. I think this shot is in 2D mode but I believe 3D view is available in SB.

Attachments
ltsnow.jpg
ltsnow.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Took a quick stab at it. more snow, maybe?

Attachments
mud1.jpg
mud1.jpg (189.22 KiB) Viewed 160 times
simovitch

Huib

Post by Huib »

Nice experiments. In 2 of my own scns I would have chosen light snow if it had been available...
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Nice start. Kind of hard to make out the trees though. Can you try it with both summer and fall terrain?
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

It looks good Warhorse

It can be used for late winter /early spring scenarios

Another possibility for early spring could be change of mud terrain graphic
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

A few suggestions for light snow covered areas.

1. Snow cover is typically variable, depending on the weather conditions and how far into the winter season it is.

2. A light snow fall, early in the winter season will usually melt straight away without leaving a trace on the ground - the ground is still too warm.

3. A light snow fall, in the middle winter season tends to cover most objects, with the exception of paved roads and concrete structures.

4. A light snow fall in the middle and/or later in the winter season will cover everything, even if only with a centimetre of snow.

5. Snow takes longer to melt in shaded areas: in forested areas, the north side of buildings, in ditches, etc.

6. Certain snow types are easily displaced by wind and will drift, collecting in certain areas: against buildings, against fences, a treeline, etc. Depending on how dense the forest is, there may be little snow under the canopy.

7. Not all snow is created equal. The snow found in Belgium will be of a different nature than the snow found in Belarus. The snow found in northern Germany will be of a different nature than the snow found in Bavaria.

8. Even a light snow can turn off-road conditions into something that would simulate "muddy" conditions. While having little affect on tracked vehicles, it can be chaotic for wheeled vehicles.

That's a start.

Jason Petho
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

I like the changes. My buddy and I don't play the winter scenarios as the overkill on snow really does not make for a visually pleasing scenario.
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

I think anyone who came up with a complete set of light snow graphic plates would be doing a public service. Anything called eye-candy often gets a derisive snort in some quarters, but it can really increase the longevity of a game and enhance its psychological setting. I don't have the artistic skills, but if I did I would probably make A, B , and C terrain and building sets for each theatre, just to keep things fresh. Consider that a challenge to the artisitically inclined.
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I think the graphics are important too.  I won't play a game whose graphics irritate me.  Steel Panthers is a great game, but I can never get past the graphics.  I like everything about Steel Panthers but the graphics. 

I didn't like the night graphics in CS and avoided night scenarios until Jason modified them recently.  I like the night graphics now.

I'd never been bothered by the snow graphics, but now that it's been raised, I can see where it might bother others or it might be an area that could be improved. 

I like the 2d example above but don't care for the 3d example.  The even spread of white flattens the 3d graphics.  The even spread also causes a lot of the details in the 3d landscape to be lost.    
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

I didn't like the night graphics in CS and avoided night scenarios until Jason modified them recently.  I like the night graphics now.

While I appreciate the thought, it was Warhorse who corrected the graphics.

Well done, Warhorse!

Jason Petho

1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Thanks, Warhorse.  The modified night graphics were a tremendous improvement. 

Does the game engine allow for more terrain types with their own defense and concealment values, or is that aspect of the game effectively capped like the sound bits?  My understanding is the sound bits have only so many slots and that there's no easy way to expand them.

The same question goes for the existing terrain types.  Is there a cap to the number of available variations.  For example, the Building and Industrial hexes have variations you can select when making a map.  Is it possible to add new buildings and new industrial hexes? 
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

Thanks, Warhorse.  The modified night graphics were a tremendous improvement. 

Does the game engine allow for more terrain types with their own defense and concealment values, or is that aspect of the game effectively capped like the sound bits?  My understanding is the sound bits have only so many slots and that there's no easy way to expand them.

The same question goes for the existing terrain types.  Is there a cap to the number of available variations.  For example, the Building and Industrial hexes have variations you can select when making a map.  Is it possible to add new buildings and new industrial hexes? 

I have been hoping for additional, new terrain types for a long time now. Hopefully that will be something that can be expanded in the future.

Jason Petho
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

One of the things not reflected in the game currently is fatigue from moving through certain terrain, like thick mud or deep snow.  Perhaps some terrain should trigger a "Fatigue" result when infantry move even one hex.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Man, this topic went far from yesterday!!

As for the questions about expanding the amount of icons available for terrain, for now it seems like that's not possible. I tried an experiment with making the file larger to accomodate a few more selections, it simply didn't acknowledge them! Maybe Wyatt may be able to do something about this in the future, I don't know, would be awesome though!

You guys are welcome about the graphics, it's my pleasure!!

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Miamieagle

Post by Miamieagle »

Where can I get Warhorse Night graphics. Thank you ahead of time!

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”