Noob Posting - Help Required (Windowed mode ?)

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Scritty

Noob Posting - Help Required (Windowed mode ?)

Post by Scritty »

Hi all,

Firstly, love the forum, it's nice to see so many friendly posts and replies - I have not always found this to be the case.

Have bought quite a few Matrix games. Have UFO ET, and Conquest af the Aegean as my most recent.
However, I would like to play Panthers in a window - 2 reasons. The graphics are a bit "splodgy" on my new(ish) screen - quite a bit of scaling going on.

Also , I would like to have the help PDF open for my first few games and not keep Alt/Tab ing between them (it normally ends in tears - be it CTD's or BSOD's eventually)

Can this be done ?

Thanks for the help [:)]

PC
Logistics ? Yeah I'm a spanner for that stuff
Goblin

RE: Noob Posting - Help Required (Windowed mode ?)

Post by Goblin »

Welcome aboard, Scritty. [:)] As far as I know, it cannot be run in windowed mode. There may be some obscur trick to doing it, but it is not a game option.

Goblin
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Scritty

However, I would like to play Panthers in a window - 2 reasons. The graphics are a bit "splodgy" on my new(ish) screen - quite a bit of scaling going on.

Also , I would like to have the help PDF open for my first few games and not keep Alt/Tab ing between them (it normally ends in tears - be it CTD's or BSOD's eventually)

Can this be done ?
I recommend you to get 4:3 CRT monitor and plug it on your computer. Use it to play games that don't support your LCD/TFT/plasma (if you have one) native resolution.

By using two monitors at the same time, you can have *.PDF file open in other. Alternative for that is to print pages you need.

There is alternative for SPWAW that supports windowed gameplay: WinSPWW2. Check it out.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

Doesn't SPWAW run in Dosbox? I've been playing PacWar lately and I know that works.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
Scritty

Post by Scritty »

Thanks for the reply.
The DOS box got me thinking. It runs pretty well in Virtual PC (the free M$ Download) and that seems to have sorted out my problems. Installed my old WIN '98 on it

Added bonus ?

SO does X-Com apocalypse (perfectly) and all the other X-Com games, whether they are the original DOS versions or the tweaked Windows versions.

Thanks very much for the help [:)]

Paul
Logistics ? Yeah I'm a spanner for that stuff
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

Glad to help. Let us know how your idea works out.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”