Pindos Bases (Historical)

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: Arjuna

06 Maestro

Pindos Bases (Historical)

Post by 06 Maestro »

This is a rather brief introduction to this scenario, rather than a full AAR.

Playing as Italian side
AI running the Greek side
Standard supply
Standard reinforcements

This scenario simulates a portion of the Italian invasion of Greece, via Albania. Many may have bypassed this scenario, as it was in a back water area, no tanks, not much glamor. Even w/o some of the fancy war equipment, this battle is really quite interesting. Speed is a relative thing-slow isn't that slow if everyone is slow. If units venture off into the high country off trail, then those units will be at a snails pace compared to the units in the valley.

Playing as the Italians, I had the mission of both wrecking the Greek Army in the area, and exiting some units off of the south east corner of the AO. Most of the Italian Alpine troops enter from the north west area of the AO. The map is about 40 km by 30 km, so this a good distance to travel through some very rugged terrain with no real roads, only trails and bridges. To have the Greek forces constantly harassing the peaceful occupation by the Italian Army makes it even more difficult.

My initial plan was to push the Greek forces back out of the way of the northern valley trails (with the initial starting forces) so when reinforcements arrived on day 4, they could just march right on down to the southern exit. It almost worked like that, but Greek reinforcements are piling in too. I only got 1 BN from the late arrivals down to the exit point, everything else had to be committed to stopping Greek counter attacks. As it was, I exited enough. As you will see, my engagement methods were a little too much for the Greek forces that were available at the start, but it was getting a little close in a couple of areas. The Greek infantry apparently get around the hills pretty good.

This first screen shot is the final situation on day 9, 2200 hours. Until the game ended, I had no idea that there were so many Greeks left in the hills. It look like they were planning something. I suspect that my counter attacks in the north eastern sector with my day 4 reinforcements blocked some important supply units-I know I destroy at least one. Although the AI maintained heavy attacks in 3 areas, it looks like it could have done more with the additional units. A lack of supply is most likely the cause. Next time, I'll give the AI a supply bonus.

Attachments
Pindos4.jpg
Pindos4.jpg (171.42 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

06 Maestro

RE: Pindos Bases (Historical)

Post by 06 Maestro »

This second shot is from a critical pass between the two main mountains located in the center of the AO. Without this pass under my control, whatever Italian units that were located to the sough would have been out of supply very quickly-and destroyed. The AI seemed to know this and made repeated, and very significant efforts to drive me out of the village located there. One of my Bn's which was on its way south to the exit point had to stop for a day and help hold the place. Eventually, (after getting some arty in range) I was able to get one of those Bn's back on the road heading south.

Attachments
Pindos3.jpg
Pindos3.jpg (139.56 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Thomas Jefferson

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

And here is the shocking tally. I have never whipped the AI like this before. I have gotten a few decisive wins before, but never inflicting such a one way slaughter. I recall being beaten by the AI in this scenario before (long ago). The next time, I will give the AI additional supplies. Until then, I shall be completely pleased with my well deserved victory.

This is another great scenario which I will play again. I went though the 9 day battle in about 3 hours time-I've learned a few tricks to speed things up-and to increase control at the same time.

I hope that this brief AAR sparks some interest in this scenario; it's one of the very good ones that is never mentioned. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to blast away.

Attachments
Pindos1.jpg
Pindos1.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Thomas Jefferson

JeF

Post by JeF »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
it's one of the very good ones that is never mentioned.

Yes a very nice one.

Lots of strategic possibilities. Lots of room to manoeuvre. Very diverse terrains.

From my experience, it can be tedious at times, as the units do not move fast due to the nature of terrain and they are, IIRC, mostly on foot. I always hesitate to go into a 9-day battle.

3 hours ? I guess you were always at the fastest speed. No pause ? Full steam ahead ?
BTW, your screenshots shows how Robin's Back to paper mod is nice.

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Jef
If there are any trucks, those are in a supply unit-everyone is on foot. There are no tanks at all.

And, yep, it is the 'back to paper" mod-that is the one I use most of the time. I will have to try out another one for the desert scenario's.

I actually use the pause frequently, but generally at set times. What I have done is to figure out the command delay time for a typical Bn, and then use the "run until" tool to order issuing time. I would stop at midnight to analyze the situation and make plans, run until 0330, issue orders, run until about 1500, and then to midnight. Units with a long ways to go are given the entire route at the beginning of the trip (special considerations here). During play I have to occasionally react to some AI move, but generally just let her roll. I am free to modify formations/setting, watch for enemy activity, check on supply and command loads. By the time for orders roll around (at least twice a day, but not for all, of course) I'm ready for a few quick assignments-no sweat. And yes, it is on the high speed, in conjunction with the "run until.

I was surprised as to how quickly I blew through this scenario-I hit upon the right combo.

Thomas Jefferson

Return to “After Action Reports”