Just curious. Who is your top pilot?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

castor troy

RE: Just curious. Who is your top pilot?

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: tabpub

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

1LT Andrew seems to have gotten the hang of it ok. He is currently flying a P-40N out of Taipei, November 1943. Recently his score has not improved due to lack of any airborne targets. His FG has an average experience of 93, morale of 86 and a kill total of 231. This is in stock - AAR

The end of the world as we know it

Wow, Roger....38...that's a goal for everyone to look for...for an individual score that is quite good.

666 P-38s in the pool???? [X(] Holy crap, is this stock???
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I have an IJAAF pilot with 29 kills as my leading pilot.  It's Apr 43.  I'll post it when I go home, on Saturday. [8|]
Created by the amazing Dixie
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I'll also point out that I think it's interesting that I have US pilots with over 100 missions (I thought they got retired after 100 missions?). Frankly, I'm glad they stick around, because returning those pilots to the ether wouldn't do me any good!

-F-

No - used to be they would start to be retired around 100 missions (pretty sure there was a die roll each time they had a mission >100 - almost all Allied pilots would be retired by the time they got to around 120 missions), but they raised the limit... i think now they retire around 200 missions.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

CHS 2.08
While the game is up to 5/44, Middleton & the Aussie pilots got thier scores in 42-43 flying Kittyhawk I's.

There is a ral shortage of targets now

I got some high scoring C-46 pilots, I assume reallocated from a fighter squadron

Attachments
Aces.jpg
Aces.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Back in my first game, I had a pair of chinese pilots that scored over 40 by the end of 42. 

I am currently in Late Aug 42 in NikMod CHS.  Have a Hurricane pilot with 26 kills.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Hahahaha... I just checked, my highest scoring USN pilot is Lt E. King (nephew?) of VP-54, with four kills. That's right... a Catalina pilot is my highest scoring Navy pilot!

I have seven carrier pilots with three kills each, and one marine corsair jock with three kills.

A major reason for the high scores for the P38 jocks is that Chez has set up a defensive perimeter where nearly all his bases are too far for my other fighters to reach!

Edit: I just checked VP-54. The squadron has no kills, but Lt King is in the squadron with four kills. He was on the Yorktown before the Battle of Canton Island, so my giess is that his kills came flying F4F-4s in that battle and he was reassigned after the battle. It's a pisser that he was reassigned to a PBY squadron!

Was he caught with the admiral's wife?
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

My replacement pilots in the experimental CHS version have been proving to be merely Tony bait...

That -is- a VERY annoying issue that I've found with CHS.  At least in #156, the exp level of (at least) USAAF pilots does NOT increase over time.  They start the game at 50, and even 1943, I'm still pulling USAAF pilots with 45 - 55 exp.  Of course, I didn't realize this the first time I sent out out a newly upgraded squadron of P-38s (with many replacement pilots, I didn't think to check their exp).  Needless to say, their combat debut was a disaster.  So now I make sure I'm only upgrading the most experienced squadrons, and try to train whenever possible.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Miller

Post by Miller »

In my game against Canoerebel we are in Feb 44 and I know he has several pilots with over 50 kills....mostly AVG pilots flying P38s scoring against training runs in China. My top scoring pilots usually get into the low 20s before dying.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

In m game stock PBEM as japs...

My top pilot has 20 kills he is flying a Jack Recently all te planes in the unit were destroyed on the ground by air raids at Tarawa so I had to send in single AK to load the units out - risky but I did it

He is a great felLow

M
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Oh thats Aug 43 BTW
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

LOL, 20s?  I had no idea.  Miller's fighters ruled the sky until sometime after summer '43.  I have some P-38 squadrons with more than 500 kills to their credit. 

I just check my top pilots tab, and Miller is right, the P-38s are the big guns.  My top three aces:

1st LT RT Smith, 48 kills, flying P-38
1st LT AJ Reynolds, 43 kills, flying P-38
FLT JW Yarra, 45 kills, flying Spitfire VIII
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Canoerebel,

Interesting that 1st LT AJ Reynolds is in there for you. He was my top ace against Fabertong flying P38J's. He had IIRC 42-44 Kills.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
jleinawe

Post by jleinawe »

I'm running the full campaign, just entered April '42 and Pappy Boyington has 16 kills.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Feinder
My replacement pilots in the experimental CHS version have been proving to be merely Tony bait...

That -is- a VERY annoying issue that I've found with CHS. At least in #156, the exp level of (at least) USAAF pilots does NOT increase over time. They start the game at 50, and even 1943, I'm still pulling USAAF pilots with 45 - 55 exp. Of course, I didn't realize this the first time I sent out out a newly upgraded squadron of P-38s (with many replacement pilots, I didn't think to check their exp). Needless to say, their combat debut was a disaster. So now I make sure I'm only upgrading the most experienced squadrons, and try to train whenever possible.

-F-

In the experimental CHS scenario that we are playing, the USAAF replacement pilots have an average rating of 45, which means that I've received pilots into my squadrons with ratings as low as 35. I am definitely being careful about which units upgrade first, and have been using the "training" function quite heavily.
fair winds,
Brad
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

In my PBEM campaign, Major Boyington was killed int he first week of the war.  Right now it's almost 4/1/42, and I have Major Overand of the 1st AVG with 12 kills. 
goodboyladdie

Post by goodboyladdie »

This is the current Ace list from my other game with Scout1 (CHS 156 I think). Cpt Carl of the USMC just got all 8 of his kills over Marcus Island in one day!

Attachments
WitPAceList.jpg
WitPAceList.jpg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Art by the amazing Dixie
tabpub

Post by tabpub »

666 P-38s in the pool???? Holy crap, is this stock???

Yes, it's stock 8/44. To give some idea of the overall picture:

Attachments
planepools.jpg
planepools.jpg (162.66 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I'm glad to see all those KIA-MIA pilots Bilbow...

Die! Die! Die! Ya bastages!

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

histgamer

Post by histgamer »

So MIA and KIA guys stay on the list? My pilots tend to disapear alot anyone else suffer from this?
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

It looks like you have to have ten kills or more in order to stay on the list if KIA/MIA.

I had Boyington disappear early in my game. He had seven kills and I figured that all aces would still be listed, but I guess not.
fair winds,
Brad

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”