Powerful British Snipers

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

brucha

Powerful British Snipers

Post by brucha »

I am just starting a Long WW2 British campaign - of which I will be posting AAR reports above :) - and I noticed something very odd. I choose to play a British Infantry battalion based after the South Staffordshire regiment - I did a good deal of research on the regiment and selected a base force based on its original ToE, which included 2 snipers attached to each company HQ.

In my first battle, I fought a delaying action against the Italians, whose force was a mix of motorized infantry and tanks. Amazingly, in the first 2 turns, my snipers managed to disable 4 lancias, destroyed another lancia, and destroyed a fiat car.
And to add to my amazement, this was acccomplished at ranges between 9 and 13 hexes!

Is there something that I am missing? Are snipers THAT powerful as they can take out vehicles - albeit trucks and cars - with a shot or two? Has anyone else seen vehivle-killer snipers like this?
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
- Ferdinand Foch, at the Battle of the Marne
Orzel Bialy

RE: Powerful British Snipers

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Wait until you see a sniper take out a 30+ ton tank during a surprise close assault! [X(]

However, I personally have not seen a sniper take out vehicles at such long ranges...at least in my previous experience playing the game. [&:]

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Which version of the game are you playing? Snipers underwent some changes in recent versions, so the long-range Rambo no longer exists. However, they can still pick off the drivers of uncovered unarmored vehicles, so drive carefully. [;)]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: brucha

I am just starting a Long WW2 British campaign - of which I will be posting AAR reports above :) - and I noticed something very odd. I choose to play a British Infantry battalion based after the South Staffordshire regiment - I did a good deal of research on the regiment and selected a base force based on its original ToE, which included 2 snipers attached to each company HQ.

In my first battle, I fought a delaying action against the Italians, whose force was a mix of motorized infantry and tanks. Amazingly, in the first 2 turns, my snipers managed to disable 4 lancias, destroyed another lancia, and destroyed a fiat car.
And to add to my amazement, this was acccomplished at ranges between 9 and 13 hexes!

Is there something that I am missing? Are snipers THAT powerful as they can take out vehicles - albeit trucks and cars - with a shot or two? Has anyone else seen vehivle-killer snipers like this?

[X(]

No way.

The only thing I can think of is that snipers are really experenced and/or a sniper using AP rounds?
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
brucha

Post by brucha »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Which version of the game are you playing? Snipers underwent some changes in recent versions, so the long-range Rambo no longer exists. However, they can still pick off the drivers of uncovered unarmored vehicles, so drive carefully. [;)]

I am playing version 8.3, if that can help explain it, though I do not know of the differences between some of the older versions.
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: brucha

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I am playing version 8.3, if that can help explain it, though I do not know of the differences between some of the older versions.
in 8.403 snipers can no longer close assault tanks
but thats not the problem you describe.
maybe just a fluke

brucha

Post by brucha »

Well, I will soon see if this was just a one-time fluke. I am coming close to the end of my first battle - check out the AAR entitled, "2nd South Staffords Long Campaign" in the AAR Reports section. I am interested how my snipers fair against the German vehicles, who I will be fighting soon, if not the very next campaign battle.
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Snipers can well kill unarmoured vehicles. Anyone with a weapon can - in the game. You can kill them with bayonets if they come close enough. Practically you'll have to think it in a way that when an enemy car or truck is disabled, the sniper got hit to a tyre or some crucial place in the engine. When a car or truck is destroyed you may imagine it as a good hit to driver causing the car or truck to go sideways and fall over or hit a tree (when in desert, they all hit the very same and only tree within twenty square kilometers).
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

A round through the radiator will kill any car...eventually.  A round through the engine block will kill it quicker and a .30-06 round should crack the block at anything less than a hundred yards {conservatively}.
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

If the commander is riding fully exposed in his turret, then a good sniper can (and often did) kill him. In the case of a two-man or three-man tank, losing the commander effectively removes the tank from the battle. In game terms, this is a 'kill'. Although scoring a hit at 500m is remarkable!

Check you target tanks before you shoot to see whether they are ready or buttoned. A buttoned tank should not fall to a sniper at this range.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”