To New Forum Members: Check in Here

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Alby

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: emmettvm

Howdy, all. My name's Emmett (if you couldnt have guessed), and Ive been out of the Wargame loop for a while now. I started off back in '94, and quickly fell in love with the SP games and with Allied/Panzer General. Wasnt such a huge fan of East/West front, and fell out of the wargame circuit until Hearts of Iron came out. Got bored of that one quickly, and again fell out of sync. Just recently remembered how much I always loved good strategy games, and how much I have lamented their demise, and decided to indulge myself, and somehow found SP:WaW. I downloaded it, and have been following my two Brigades of Germans for a few days now, but have come to miss pbem games. Thus, after much ado about nothing, I return to the present. Im looking for some pbem games, and am not averse at all to having my fourth point of contact handed to me by a pro. [:D]
welcome!
[:)]

brucha

Post by brucha »

Well, I have posting here for some time, so I better introduce myself. The name is Brucha and I was born in Kraków, Poland, though I am currently working and living in the US. Started playing board wargames like Terrible Swift Sword and Europa series, plus ALOT of table top miniature battle (which were my favorite). After that I went crazy with computer gaming, like the Total War series. I first played Steel Panthers years ago at a friend's house but forgot about the game until last year. Then , I happened to come across the Matrix website and, to my pleasure, discovered that the game was not only still around, but was downloadable and free off the internet. And I have been addicted since. I absolutely LOVE playing the Brits, but can't bring myself to play the Germans though. Call me weird, because I realize its just a game, but....
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
- Ferdinand Foch, at the Battle of the Marne
StephanFH

Post by StephanFH »

Welcome Brucha.
LOL, I kind of understand about playing the Germans. I grew up on stories from my Mom of watching the sky light up as Norway burned, and the German bomb that (no kidding) killed a neighbor's cow. Not good neighbors, the Germans of the past. :)
Stephan
"the onset of Bayonets in the hands of the Valiant is irresistible..."
Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Welcome Emmett and Brucha! [:)]
ORIGINAL: brucha
can't bring myself to play the Germans
I have a problem in playing against Finns - unless it's Finns vs. Finns [;)]
brookelord

Post by brookelord »

hi my name is gerald im new 2on line games love 2 play sp and rome
geraldbrooke
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Welcome brookelord! [:)]

Yeah, Rome is excellent too, as are other Total War series [:)]
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say Hello. I spent the morning downloading SP:WAW and it's patches. Installed it and am now going to sit down and begin reading the manual to play.

I know I'm a late comer. This morning, I accidentally found SPWAW while looking on BoardGameGeek.com to find me and my sons a tabletop board game to add to our collection of games. Well, during that I decided to google and see if there was anything online to play and happen-chance to find SP:WAW and Matrix Games and it has Email capabilities just like my long-time favorite game Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

I am new to War Gaming and have gotten into Token style gaming through studying and playing Starfleet Battles over the last year. I love the game, it's concept, and it's complexity. Well, I have been having a WWII itch and am looking to satisfy it.

36 Recently married Father of two sons, stepfather to another. Living in Louisiana and loving life.

So, on a final note, once I finish learning how to play SP:WAW, I'll definitely be looking for an email game. Hope to see ya'll 'round.

Laterz,
Laz (John)
Alby

Post by Alby »

You will now be hooked on spwaw for years to come!!
[:D]
Welcome!

Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Welcome, John, and I second what Alby said.

Try the Depot Academy to help learn the game. http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/index.php

You'll find everything you need there (tips, tricks, opponents, Academy courses, scenarios, campaigns, etc). The ENH forums (link in Alby's sig) are a good place to drop in too.

Goblin
Wyke

Post by Wyke »

Hi guys.

Not so much a new player, but a looooong time absent returning player to SP. And yes, still finding it as enjoyable as ever. I've tried more 'up to date' game, such as the Combat Mission series. While I can't fault them, none have ever managed to grab me the way that SP has done.

Though I must say, if SP has a fault, it's that it is starting to really show it's age now, and defiantly getting somewhat creaky. A bit like a re-engineered Pz IV being stuck back in the field in 45. But still, until 'Son of SP' hits the markets it will still see off the competition for me[:)]
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Wyke: Have you tried the "enhanced Version" of Spwaw yet ?
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
JFW

Post by JFW »

I've just downloaded SPwaw & the patches on my Vista 64 laptop. I'm trying to run the tutorials. Where are the text files referred to in the tutorials. In the Artillery Tutorial, I can't get my mortar crew to load on the ammo truck. It's in the adjacent hex, but a message flashes saying its too far away. I'm clicking on the mortar unit, hitting L (or selecting the L icon) & left clicking the truck, but nothing happens. Is there some setting I need to adjust? Any help would be appreciated. There's no need to start a campaign if I can't load infantry onto vehicles.
Jimmy Walker
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

JFW: You might consider joining the academy. The answer(s) are in your other post.  Good Luck [8D]
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: JFW

I've just downloaded SPwaw & the patches on my Vista 64 laptop. I'm trying to run the tutorials. Where are the text files referred to in the tutorials. In the Artillery Tutorial, I can't get my mortar crew to load on the ammo truck. It's in the adjacent hex, but a message flashes saying its too far away. I'm clicking on the mortar unit, hitting L (or selecting the L icon) & left clicking the truck, but nothing happens. Is there some setting I need to adjust? Any help would be appreciated. There's no need to start a campaign if I can't load infantry onto vehicles.
You cannot load a unit on an ammo truck, you simply sit in adjacent hex, or in same hex and it gets resupplied.
to Load a unit onto a transport type unit, you must be in same hex. Hold down the "Shift" key to move a unit into a hex with another unit.

slimdad

Post by slimdad »

Wow, this game is pretty amazing. I used to play a little Squad Leader and Arab-Israeli wars, this is exactly what I've wanted for quite some time. I have LOTS to learn, but I'll have fun learning. [:D]
jlkotson

Post by jlkotson »

Howdy y'all! I got hooked on wargaming back in the early 80's while stationed in Germany. Played lots of board and tabletop. I really loved Kampfgruppe when it came out on the Commodore. I played Tanks, Wargame Construction Sets, Steel Panthers III, SPWW2, and SPWaW since then, but had never bothered with the forums before. Lately, I've been learning how to port these games over to Linux. I figured that I might as well switch since I was already using open-source software to play my "old" games and such on XP already. The greatest thing about these games is that just when you think you've got it all figured out... the 'puter shows you a new wrinkle or two. I guess you don't quit learning until you're dead... or become a politician!
Vergial

Checking in.

Post by Vergial »

Verg here. Played the original Steel Panthers long ago, and loved IGOUGO games since. Kinda disappointed that I can't get SPWaW to work properly, but I'm not giving up. I missed this game.
Eagle Strike

RE: Checking in.

Post by Eagle Strike »

Gentlemen:

Eagle Strike reporting for duty as an old time wargamer but what I used to know on SPWAW I've truly forgotten. I noticed this recruitment station is a little dusty with the previous post dating back to Dec. 2009. But that's okay... I've notice the enlistment form is still on the desk so I'm signing up for a "tour of duty"...
Thx,
Eagle Strike (aka Reddog)
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Eagle Strike

Gentlemen:

Eagle Strike reporting for duty as an old time wargamer but what I used to know on SPWAW I've truly forgotten. I noticed this recruitment station is a little dusty with the previous post dating back to Dec. 2009. But that's okay... I've notice the enlistment form is still on the desk so I'm signing up for a "tour of duty"...
Welcome back!

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Vergial

Verg here. Played the original Steel Panthers long ago, and loved IGOUGO games since. Kinda disappointed that I can't get SPWaW to work properly, but I'm not giving up. I missed this game.

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”