is full speed dangerous for flooded ship?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

quertice

is full speed dangerous for flooded ship?

Post by quertice »

my CVs are very damaged(saratoga sys 54 flt 67 fires 4;lexington 79-54-14),they are coming back home,but 5 hexs at 6 knots are too many...

can i keep them at full speed?flooding is about same(or more?[:(]) of the previous turn but the kido butai is near and could find my CVs... [X(]

home is size dock 2,is it too little to reduce flooding?

wild_Willie2

RE: is full speed dangerous for flooded ship?

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I personally never bother with speed settings for damaged ships, I personally think damage control it just a diceroll depending on nationality.

Others on this forum think it does matter, but I never saw a test which showed that it DOES matter.   

At 6 knots, you move a single hex a day, and when you already have so much damage, it does not matter if you might get some more damage by speeding a bit because if the KB catches you with even a single kate squadron, you're toast ......

btw.
Allied damage controll will most likely save both your CV's once you get them to a port.

It's good to ALWAYS have an AR or 2 standing by in Noumea or near any other battlefield, just in case...    
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Czert

Post by Czert »

Oh yeah, this allways angering me - allies allways save damaged ship which is for japanese ship terminal. [:(]

Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

I managed to save the Boise in my game with Jumper, despite the fact that she had 99 sys, 75 flt and 28 fires right after the attack.

US damage control FTW!
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

fast speed setting increase chance for additional SYS damage (but never increase SYS 99, only after effect of fire/float can do it)

I have no proof for FLT/FIRE damage increase from fast speed...
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

If your ships have heavy float damage, setting them to cruise is very important. The other 2 choices (full especially) will increase float damage.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
quertice

Post by quertice »

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

If your ships have heavy float damage, setting them to cruise is very important. The other 2 choices (full especially) will increase float damage.

are you sure?[&:]

now i'm confused[&:]

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

No, it doesn't - according to one (now departed dev) - and from the experiments i've tried, it makes no difference - it floods the same amount each turn, so you are better off going at full speed.

EDIT: Of course players will remember visibly when damage INCREASES when they order max speed... and put it down to good damage control when it doesn't.

My experiments involved experimental learning games against the AI - get your saved game where a ship is severely damaged. Try running the turn where the ship runs at top speed, reboot, take the original saved turn and run the ship at cruise.

There wasn't any difference in the numerous times i tried it... the only thing that seems to make a difference (in flooding) was the weather: bad weather (thunderstorms) gave worse flooding. (Weather sometimes can vary in saved games depending on the die roll).
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

I stand corrected. Go with Bob's statement here. He is much better versed in this game's mechanics than I am.

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

I stand corrected. Go with Bob's statement here. He is much better versed in this game's mechanics than I am.

Well, all these experiments were conducted a while ago... it is SLIGHTLY possible that something changed in the game that affected damage, etc., and they didn't know and/or didn't tell us about it... these particular experiments are easy to repeat, though, if you have an AI game going (i don't at the moment).

However, from what i've seen in the more recent games, the behavior does NOT seem to have changed.

If someone conducts experiments and gets some more results (yea or nay) let us know.

Lastly, i'll point out that in some cases it makes no difference at all, since in really badly damaged ships, the cruise speed and the max speed are exactly the same (1 hex/pulse).
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

As I said [:D][:D][:D] People tend to disagree a bit on this issue, but setting your ships to full speed will most likely NOT  increase their chance of sinking sooner...[;)][;)]
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

As I said [:D][:D][:D] People tend to disagree a bit on this issue, but setting your ships to full speed will most likely NOT  increase their chance of sinking sooner...[;)][;)]

By the way, HOW LONG DO WE ALREADY HAVE ACCES TO THESE NEW SMILEYS ????

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

As I said [:D][:D][:D] People tend to disagree a bit on this issue, but setting your ships to full speed will most likely NOT increase their chance of sinking sooner...[;)][;)]

By the way, HOW LONG DO WE ALREADY HAVE ACCES TO THESE NEW SMILEYS ????

What new smileys? [&:] Like the "scared" one you just posted?? They've been here over a year, iirc.

EDIT - i just checked Thread II - some of the "new smileys" were being posted back in Jan 2006...
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Well, all these experiments were conducted a while ago... it is SLIGHTLY possible that something changed in the game that affected damage, etc., and they didn't know and/or didn't tell us about it... these particular experiments are easy to repeat, though, if you have an AI game going (i don't at the moment).

However, from what i've seen in the more recent games, the behavior does NOT seem to have changed.

If someone conducts experiments and gets some more results (yea or nay) let us know.

Lastly, i'll point out that in some cases it makes no difference at all, since in really badly damaged ships, the cruise speed and the max speed are exactly the same (1 hex/pulse).

I have an AI game going at the moment. I will run some experiments. Give me until tomorrow.

Minedog

Post by Minedog »

ORIGINAL: qwetry

home is size dock 2,is it too little to reduce flooding?

I can actually answer this one.

Size 2 is OK. I currently have HMS Repulse sitting in Amboina (Size 2) and in 2-3 days has worked Flooding damage down from 72 to 56. Looks like I'll make it back to Darwin after all!

One of the hidden joys of the game, watching the British battle fleet take apart a Jap troop convoy, even if the Betty payback is a bitch..
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I've also noticed that even with Allied Damage control switched off the allied ships are much more likely to survive damage than Japanese ships. In my current game with Saso, he's mananaged to put 90+ flooding and 70+ system damage on 2 carriers and a battleship, and none of them have sunk. I tend to agree with the poster who said it seems to be just a dice roll that decides it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
quertice

Post by quertice »

a day has passed and now my CVs now are more flood damaged...

the fire is ceased but: saratoga flt 74 ; lexington flt 62

only 3 hexs remain to dock(size 2),but i'm very worried[X(]

are you sure full speed doesn't increase flood damage?[:(]
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

to answer the original question - absolutely - IRL and in game terms.
quertice

Post by quertice »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

what means IRL?

sorry for my bad english
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Not from my experiments - still awaiting the re-test under 1.804.

Also, Frag stated that the code did NOT do this.

Of course, in real life (IRL) things are not the same - but then again, ships don't burn for a week, either.

EDIT: Hopefully, in any test, the tester will:

1) remember to reboot between running a turn result (otherwise things will be wonky); and
2) remember to take WEATHER into account (a weather roll could give different results between two consecutive executions of the same turn, although it usually stays the same.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”