Can anybody confirm DMS are minesweeping in CHS?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Feinder

Can anybody confirm DMS are minesweeping in CHS?

Post by Feinder »

I just ran 2 turns (4 days) of "combat tests" in my PBEM, and I don't DMS are actually sweeping mines. I got the message when they "found" the minefield. But no messages for the sweep, and even patrolling as minesweeper TF for the next two days did NOT produce any "sweeping-widening" messages.

It's actually scen 156 (not sure it would make any difference).

But can anybody confirm if DMS actually sweep mines in their CHS games?

Thanks,
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

rtrapasso

RE: Can anybody confirm DMS are minesweeping in CHS?

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I just ran 2 turns (4 days) of "combat tests" in my PBEM, and I don't DMS are actually sweeping mines. I got the message when they "found" the minefield. But no messages for the sweep, and even patrolling as minesweeper TF for the next two days did NOT produce any "sweeping-widening" messages.

It's actually scen 156 (not sure it would make any difference).

But can anybody confirm if DMS actually sweep mines in their CHS games?

Thanks,
-F-
iirc - some DMS's visited a mine infested port recently in our CHS game, and the mines vanished - so i think they work.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

i think not all relevant events show up in the replay... we also recently took back an unoccupied base, and it never showed up on the replay, nor in the OPS report... [:(]
Mistmatz

Post by Mistmatz »

In RHS I noticed that I needed to move DMS out of a base with retirement allowed in order to see the minesweeping message in the replay once the vessels returned to the base hex.
I can't say they dont sweep if not sent out though, I just didn't see any messages.
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Erm, why wouldn't they be sweeping? The functionality is in the ship type, not in any sort of device it carries, and CHS or RHS haven't changed those.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

CHS 1.x game in late '44. CHS 2.x game in mid-'43. In both of those games I only use DMS as part of bombardment TFs but they definitely clear mines in both games. Not every time I use them - maybe 4 out of every 5 tries.

It's been a while since I've used them in a dedicated minesweeping TF. Though like T said, I don't know why they wouldn't.

I haven't tested it but my impression has been that the smaller the minefield, the harder it is to clear it with MSWs (and presumably DMS as well). I suspect you're either trying to sweep a very small field, and/or just getting bad die rolls.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I was expecting to get the "detected...  sweeping...  widening..." messages.  Didn't see them, even tho the TF sat there for 4 days.

That's fine, as long as folks seem to think they work.  I was just surprised at no messages.  I would agreed, I can't imagine why they wouldn't work in CHS, but we've seen some odd foilbles that have cropped up compared to Stock.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

ctangus

Post by ctangus »

I was expecting to get the "detected... sweeping... widening..." messages. Didn't see them, even tho the TF sat there for 4 days.

That's fine, as long as folks seem to think they work. I was just surprised at no messages. I would agreed, I can't imagine why they wouldn't work in CHS, but we've seen some odd foilbles that have cropped up compared to Stock.

-F-

I perhaps should have been more specific. I do get those "detected... sweeping... widening..." messages with DMS when they're in bombardment TFs. At least most the time. However no recent experience with DMS in dedicated minesweeping TFs.
bilbow

Post by bilbow »

ORIGINAL: ctangus

CHS 1.x game in late '44. CHS 2.x game in mid-'43. In both of those games I only use DMS as part of bombardment TFs but they definitely clear mines in both games. Not every time I use them - maybe 4 out of every 5 tries.

It's been a while since I've used them in a dedicated minesweeping TF. Though like T said, I don't know why they wouldn't.

I haven't tested it but my impression has been that the smaller the minefield, the harder it is to clear it with MSWs (and presumably DMS as well). I suspect you're either trying to sweep a very small field, and/or just getting bad die rolls.

The minefield Feinder is talking about is NOT a small field. [:D]
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: ctangus

I was expecting to get the "detected... sweeping... widening..." messages. Didn't see them, even tho the TF sat there for 4 days.

That's fine, as long as folks seem to think they work. I was just surprised at no messages. I would agreed, I can't imagine why they wouldn't work in CHS, but we've seen some odd foilbles that have cropped up compared to Stock.

-F-

I perhaps should have been more specific. I do get those "detected... sweeping... widening..." messages with DMS when they're in bombardment TFs. At least most the time. However no recent experience with DMS in dedicated minesweeping TFs.

We got this in CHS recently (dedicated MSW TF):
TF 1077 encounters mine field at Midway Island (97,63)
Allied Ships
DMS Wasmuth
DMS Chandler
DMS Perry
DMS Dorsey
DMS Lamberton
DMS Boggs

--------------------
this (apparently) cleared the Minefield in a turn or so, iirc.

i don't recall if there were MSW messages scrolling - i will say that we DO see them at least occasionally in dedicated MSW TFs

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”