PBEM replay trouble

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Nanshinron

PBEM replay trouble

Post by Nanshinron »

Hi Guys,
Did anyone encounter the following problem?

I'm trying to play a PBEM game with a friend of mine. We are playing Scenario 3, Coral Sea, from stock. I'm running with patch level v1804 Comprehensive Patch (downloaded it from the Matrix download page).

Everything is running smoothly, except for one thing: The American side doesn't get a replay. Results are implemented, losses are taken etc., but the American player doesn't see them happen. [&:]

I thought maybe my friend had made a mistake, so I experimented, doing turns on my own pc, saving and reloading, as if I were two players. Same thing happened. As the Japanese player I saw the replay, complete with graphics, as the American I saw nothing...[:(]

I must admit.. I baffled.. Does anyone have a clue?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I bought the game recently, love it, and would love to drop some bombs on my opponents head.. But I'd want him to see them coming.. [:D]

Regards,
Nanshinron
rtrapasso

RE: PBEM replay trouble

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nanshinron

Hi Guys,
Did anyone encounter the following problem?

I'm trying to play a PBEM game with a friend of mine. We are playing Scenario 3, Coral Sea, from stock. I'm running with patch level v1804 Comprehensive Patch (downloaded it from the Matrix download page).

Everything is running smoothly, except for one thing: The American side doesn't get a replay. Results are implemented, losses are taken etc., but the American player doesn't see them happen. [&:]

I thought maybe my friend had made a mistake, so I experimented, doing turns on my own pc, saving and reloading, as if I were two players. Same thing happened. As the Japanese player I saw the replay, complete with graphics, as the American I saw nothing...[:(]

I must admit.. I baffled.. Does anyone have a clue?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I bought the game recently, love it, and would love to drop some bombs on my opponents head.. But I'd want him to see them coming.. [:D]

Regards,
Nanshinron

EDIT: See also post below - esp. if this is your first PBEM game.

Did you decide for a historical first turn?? (i've not messed with this scenario, and i am not sure you can but): if you did - problems like this can crop up... usually this happens in the big scenarios, but i guess it could happen in Coral Sea. However, usually BOTH sides lose the replay, not just one. This part is puzzling.

Otherwise -
1)check the setting you have made as the Japanese player in your preferences screen, and have the US player do the same... the Japanese player generally determines the "combat replay" status...
2) Make sure your opponent is also running 1.804...
if he is not, possiblythis has messed things up (usually you get other versions of the replay bug, though... not seen this particular problem iirc.

i could make some other guesses, but i'll wait to see what you say first.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Hmmmm... if you are new to the game, you need to make sure that you are sending him the witp001.pws file - this is the file that actually shows the replay.

Otherwise, you just get the turn AFTER the replay is done, and he won't see the animations.

When sending the replay file (and the new turn), make sure to send a copy of the combat report file, so that the Allied player can check to make sure he is not getting the sync bug.
Nanshinron

Post by Nanshinron »

Thanks Rtrapasso. That's quick!
I'm an utterly new.. Does it show.. ? [:D]

I'll try sending the witp001.pws file. Until now I only sent the safe file that show in you saved games list.. That should do the trick.

But then again.... it couldn't happen if I alternated turns on my own PC, right? I mean, the game would pick up the witp001.pws file because I din't move it. Or do I miss something here?

As far as the first tun settings, I didn't play with the first historical turn. Anyway, the phenomena continues as long as I tried. I did about 5 or 6 turns..

I'll try another scenario tomorrow. Maybe it's just scenario 3.. (keeps fingers crossed..)
Regards,
Nanshinron
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

What happens in PBEM is this:

Allied player sends finalized turn.

Japan receives the turn - should reboot first (to prevent replay bug) and then loads the received turn - the game should automatically start the "Replay Sequence" - and the Japanese player sees it. This replay sequence generates the WITP001.pws file and a new game file.

The Japanese player then should work on the new game file generated by the game. He finishes (finalizes), saves it, and sends it to the Allied player. BUT he ALSO needs to send the WITP001.pws (replay) file. Otherwise, the Allied player doesn't see the replay animations.

As i mentioned, the Japanese player also needs to send the combatreport.txt file so the Allied player can check his results against the WITP001.pws file.

EDIT: Every time you run a new turn, it overwrites the old WITP001.pws file. It also overwrites the old combatreport.txt, operationsreport.txt, asigint.txt and jsigint.txt.
Nanshinron

Post by Nanshinron »

Hi,
This sounds good!
I hope you don't mind I'll try tomorrow. I came down with the flue or something. Feel rotten & go to bed now.. [:(]
Much appreciate your quick reply though..
If I've lost this splitting headache I'll try what you proposed..
Thanks..

Nanshinron
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Here is a "stickied" thread that discusses how to play by PBEM:

tm.asp?m=740847
Nanshinron

Post by Nanshinron »

Hi Rtrapasso,
I finally beat that damn [:@]cold..

And of course did a turn.. Replay now works wonderful!
Thanks a lot for the support!! [&o] [:)]
Regards,
Nanshinron
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nanshinron

Hi Rtrapasso,
I finally beat that damn [:@]cold..

And of course did a turn.. Replay now works wonderful!
Thanks a lot for the support!! [&o] [:)]
Regards,
Nanshinron
Your welcome - glad it came out OK! [:)]

Return to “Tech Support”