CVEs in coastal hexes

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

castor troy

CVEs in coastal hexes

Post by castor troy »

As this question was brought up but there´s still no answer, are CVEs affected by the rule of CVs in coastal hexes having their Cap halfed?

Miller

RE: CVEs in coastal hexes

Post by Miller »

No.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

It is my understanding that in WITP it is not coastal hexes that count, but rather only base hexes.

The manual, which we all take with a grain of salt, has the following:

7.2.2.23 Aircraft carriers in base hexes

Air operations by aircraft carriers are limited if the carrier is in a base hex. Aircraft launching search, CAP or strike missions from a carrier will only launch 50% of the normal amount they would have launched. If the CAP is reinforced due (sic - I don't think that this word was meant to be in this spot) by fighters on the ship due to the raid being spotted in time, only 50% of the fighters on the ship will reinforce the CAP.

I see no difference bewteen CVs, CVLs and CVEs in this rule. I also notice that it only pertains to base hexes, not coastal hexes. Since the hex covers so much more space than it did in UV, I believe that they altered the coastal hex rule from UV to base hexes only.

At first I would fly my carrier based a/c off the ship when bringing it to port, as was the SOP in real life. However, due to the game not handling carrier squadrons that have been removed from their carriers all that well, I try not to do that anymore.
fair winds,
Brad
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It is my understanding that in WITP it is not coastal hexes that count, but rather only base hexes.

The manual, which we all take with a grain of salt, has the following:

7.2.2.23 Aircraft carriers in base hexes

Air operations by aircraft carriers are limited if the carrier is in a base hex. Aircraft launching search, CAP or strike missions from a carrier will only launch 50% of the normal amount they would have launched. If the CAP is reinforced due (sic - I don't think that this word was meant to be in this spot) by fighters on the ship due to the raid being spotted in time, only 50% of the fighters on the ship will reinforce the CAP.

sorry, my initial post was unclear. I meant base hexes. But wasn´t there a rumor about CVEs not being hit by this rule in base hexes? That´s why I´m asking and Miller said "NO".

I see no difference bewteen CVs, CVLs and CVEs in this rule. I also notice that it only pertains to base hexes, not coastal hexes. Since the hex covers so much more space than it did in UV, I believe that they altered the coastal hex rule from UV to base hexes only.

At first I would fly my carrier based a/c off the ship when bringing it to port, as was the SOP in real life. However, due to the game not handling carrier squadrons that have been removed from their carriers all that well, I try not to do that anymore.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”