CHS priority industry target?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

USSAmerica

CHS priority industry target?

Post by USSAmerica »

I've been wrestling with this question in my mind for a while now, and gladiatt's great questions have brought it to the front of my brain again. [:D]

For those with CHS experience, which production is more critical for the Japanese industry, oil or resources? I've not looked at any numbers for the Japanese side in CHS, but I have learned in the stock scenarios that resources are actually more of a limiting factor on Japanese production than oil. Losses to resources will hurt more than oil losses.

I guess the ultimate source for an answer to this question would be the Japanese Production Fanboy himself, Mike Solli. [:D] Brother Mynok, please feel free to let me know what is the most critical to you. [:'(][;)]

Edit: Mike is the "Japanese Production Fanboy", not Industry. [;)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Yakface

RE: CHS priority industry target?

Post by Yakface »

As a long suffering Japanese CHS player I can definitely say that resources are my only real concern.  Oil looks after itself (assuming the SRA is taken basically intact).  Resources only just cover the requirements of industry and manpower centres.  Never had more than 1,000,000 in reserve.  For oil I have 3,000,000 stored up (sept 43).
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I agree that it's resources, mainly due to manpower centers eating resources each turn.

Edit: Mike, I never claimed to be good at Japanese production, just that I'm interested in it. [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I agree that it's resources, mainly due to manpower centers eating resources each turn.
Good to know!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Two votes for resources.  Thanks, guys!  [8D]
Mike

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Mmmmm, these comments make Kendari a very interesting target!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
InHarmsWay

Post by InHarmsWay »

Yup, Resources it is. If the Japanese can capture Palembang intact, they are awash in oil almost to the point of needed more TK's. Resources are much harder to come by. My only trick I have to mitigate this is to stop manpower repair the day you take the base. Most of the resource bases I have taken have at least 1 manpower disabled. Every 5 resources a turn increase by not repairing the manpower unit helps!
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

What if Palembang is 95% damaged and Balikpapan is 50% damaged when captured? Does this change the dynamics in CHS?
fair winds,
Brad
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

What if Palembang is 95% damaged and Balikpapan is 50% damaged when captured? Does this change the dynamics in CHS?

That will possibly change the dyanmics, but do a little simple math to find out. Divide the amount of HI you have by 6 and that will tell you how many oil refineries you need to break even. Now getting it to your HI is another story......
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

I'd say resources as well BUT the caveat to this is:

There are fewer TK/AO's that the Japanese possess. If you sink 80-100 of them (as I did vs Faber) then Oil will suddenly become a MAJOR problem.

In short from a production perspective you will need more resources/have less abundance of them but in shipping terms you have a shed load of AK and no a lot of TK/AO (in comparison) as such from the Allied perspective it is easier to make a dent (shipping wise) on Oil imports than Resource..........
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Lots of good insight here, thanks guys!  My initial question was based on an opportunity I had in the DEI, early in '42.  My opponent captured Palembang with the industry completely intact, 1200 oil and 600 resources.  I had a bunch of 4E bombers waiting on the size 5 AF at Soerabaja to start reducing this industry and wondered which to go after first. 

My choice was to hit the oil industry, primarily because there is very little oil industry in places that I will be able to hit with bombers after the next few weeks or month.  There is a lot of resource production within reach in Burma, etc.  I guess with so many oil and resource production points waiting to be pounded at Palembang, I really couldn't go wrong.  I managed to damage 262 of the 1200 oil production points.  (So far [;)])
Mike

Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: USS America
There is a lot of resource production within reach in Burma, etc. 

And it'll all be destroyed by the end of 42. [:(] I can't see any way (as the Japanese) to prevent it. Don't get me wrong. The Allied AF there will take bad losses but there are always more planes in the pool. [8|]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

That will possibly change the dyanmics, but do a little simple math to find out. Divide the amount of HI you have by 6 and that will tell you how many oil refineries you need to break even. Now getting it to your HI is another story......

Ahhh.... but I did that to my opponent, so I can't see what effects it has - other than to watch how slowly those resources get repaired.
fair winds,
Brad
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

At Palembang, I would go after the Resources first. Force him to ship in more supply to repair things rather than get the free supply from the Resources there. [:D]

I use the same policy in Burma. Bomb the Resource centers back to the stone ages. Force him to ship in supplies, no freebies!! [;)]
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “The War Room”