Disbanded Air Group subordinates

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

RRStewart

Disbanded Air Group subordinates

Post by RRStewart »

Hello all[&o]

My first post!

I understand the aircraft from a disbanded air group go back to the pool if there is no unit at the airfield to receive them. But what happens when you disband a subordinate, ie. 12 craft A/B/C unit? It asks about disbanding into the pool. The aircraft are immediately available, but what happened to the pilots? The pilot pool never elevates, and the subordinate unit does not appear as a replacement in 90 days. Any insight? Thanks for the great game.

One other question. Why didn't Grigsby ever combine War in Russia, Western Front and Pac War into a grand WW2 title? Just curious.

Rob,

rtrapasso

RE: Disbanded Air Group subordinates

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: RRS

One other question. Why didn't Grigsby ever combine War in Russia, Western Front and Pac War into a grand WW2 title? Just curious.

Rob,

Rob - welcome to the Forum and the game!

The second part i can answer without too much difficulty: Grigsby mentioned he would never redo WITP, i guess because the programming is just too complicated... there are LOTS of programming problems in the code, and weird interactions pop up not infrequently... (this, i think, is what is going on with your "disbanding" problem)...

To try to jump another quantum level of complexity by combining three complicated games into one was (is, i think) beyond the limits of what a relatively small gaming company could accomplish, esp. since it was stretching capability for even one (WITP) -

Personally (and this is strictly my opinion), i don't think WITP was terribly playable until there were about 2 years worth of patches done... certainly hundreds of people DID play it (despite problems), but often it was with a growing sense of frustration.

Even now, people still get annoyed/frustrated/angry with the (increasingly rare) problems they can encounter. Usually, these can be worked through with help from the forum - so if you do happen to hit a snag - check here.

As for "disbanding fragments" - i haven't run into the problem you describe... but it is generally a bad idea to WITHDRAW a unit and try to return pilots to a pool, i think... best to DISBAND the group, which transfers the pilots and planes to another similar unit in the same hex.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

In one patch it was made so that you could disband an air unit's pilots into the general pool, but that was rescinded in the next patch because people were disbanding highly experienced patrol squadrons (or whatever) in order to use those pilots to create untouchable fighter squadrons.

It is my understanding that now (using the most recent patches) you cannot disband a unit into a pool, but must have another unit with the same type of aircraft at that base (so that you can disband the unit into the other unit with the same a/c). Am I wrong in this belief?
fair winds,
Brad
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
It is my understanding that now (using the most recent patches) you cannot disband a unit into a pool, but must have another unit with the same type of aircraft at that base (so that you can disband the unit into the other unit with the same a/c). Am I wrong in this belief?

That's correct. There are 3 tactics that I can think of offhand. One is to disband replacement planes & pilots into an air unit that has taken losses. The second is to disband one beat up air unit into another beat up air unit to bring one back up to strength. Third is to disband an air unit into a full (or nearly full) strength air unit to give it some extra staying power. Whatever you do, the disbanded unit comes back in 90 days (if you choose that option) and draws planes and pilots from the pool. If you're playing the Japanese, that means untrained pilots so you'll have to train them on map. If you choose for the disbanded unit not to come back in 90 days, it is gone forever.
Created by the amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

The other option available is to Withdraw an air group.  This also requires another group of the same type plane in the base.  When you withdraw a group, only the planes go to the second unit.  The pilots stay with the squadron, and return in 60 days instead of 90. 

Also, with the most recent patches, fragments of air units cannot be disbanded or withdrawn, and a parent unit cannot disband if it has fragments on the map.  The unit needs to be recombined before the withdraw or disband options are available.

Rob, welcome to the forums, and the wonderful obsession of WitP!  [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
RRStewart

Post by RRStewart »

[&o]
[&o]
[&o]
[&o]
Thanks to all of you for the insight!

I picked up 2nd Front back in 90 or so, and followed suit with Western Front and Carrier Strike (happiness thy name is a full carrier deck - theirs or mine) and then War in the Pacific. With Carrier Strike it was true love. I was certain I'd never love again. But then came WitP. Talk about a man who fears to commit; call me fickle. So I hope you'll forgive me if I'm a bit sullen regarding a pan WIR/WF/CS/PW title. Thanks again all. I hope you will not mind if I from time to time I seek the advice of the forum Oracles? [;)]

Rob,
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Welcome aboard, Rob.

One thing that you will learn is that you never stop learning in WITP. The game is so huge that I believe it is impossible to master it within a few years. It certainly is possible to quickly become comfortable with the gameplay, but to truly have mastered every aspect of gameplay is rare indeed...
fair winds,
Brad
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

To be more specific - fragments cannot be withdrawn, but they can be disbanded into other units of the same aircraft type. As you stated, parent units, with fragments outstanding, cannot be disbanded or withdrawn (as far as I know).

ORIGINAL: USS America

The other option available is to Withdraw an air group. This also requires another group of the same type plane in the base. When you withdraw a group, only the planes go to the second unit. The pilots stay with the squadron, and return in 60 days instead of 90.

Also, with the most recent patches, fragments of air units cannot be disbanded or withdrawn, and a parent unit cannot disband if it has fragments on the map. The unit needs to be recombined before the withdraw or disband options are available.

Rob, welcome to the forums, and the wonderful obsession of WitP! [8D]
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
RRStewart

Post by RRStewart »

[&o]
Thank you Sir for the response.

Almost all of my air units are training units. I put all air units in training and then branch off a group from the main, using the parent as a feeder. That way I fly only the units best pilots [8D] (usually) and keep the rest training.

I hope this is not a form of gaming the system.

Rob,
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Just to clarify:

In an AI game you can still disband pilots at an main base into an external pilot pool to be drawn upon that same turn.

In a PBEM game this function is no longer availablein order to prevent gaming the system....
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
RRStewart

Post by RRStewart »

New question, sort of.

I finally got a few fighter sentai worth 80 some odd experience.
So, off I go to teach the British just how well I've learned their lessons.
I come up against a lowly Hurricane unit that chews threw my two Ki-43's units like butter!
So I pull them back in anticipation of the Ki-61's soon to be rolling off the production floor;
I'd researched them up to 263 by June. July rolls in and......
NO KI-61's!
They're still being researched!

Where did I go wrong? Is their availability of 8/42 hardwired and unaffected by research?

Rob,
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Not hardwired in that respect. For every 100 research points you have may bring the plane forward one month. This can happen anytime within the month, typically arround the middle but it could happen on the last day of the month...

Are you sure you have RD100. You need RD100 production rate for an aircraft which is different from the prospective production rate (e.g Tony (9) 10 RD).
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: RRS

I hope you will not mind if I from time to time I seek the advice of the forum Oracles?

Welcome aboard RRS[8D]

I planned on stopping in from time to time to ask advice and before I knew it I'm visiting almost everyday and found myself with over 500 posts.....and I still feel that there is a lot I can learn about the game.

You might look at the "Must read Threads". There is a lot of information there.
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”