IE7 Or Better?!!

The highly anticipated second release in the Panzer Command series, featuring an updated engine and many major feature improvements. 3D Tactical turn-based WWII combat on the Eastern Front, with historical scenarios and campaigns as well as support for random generated battles and campaigns from 1941-1944.
Titanwarrior89

RE: IE7 Or Better?!!

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Ooops!  Wrong door!   Carry on![:D]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
and folks wonder why gaming is moving to console...

Woohoo is Matrixgames moving to consoles. I would be soooooooooooooooooooooo frickin happy. Really Marc I'm tired of all the upgrades all the damn files and applications and crap one has to have with nearly every game nowadays. Whatever happened to PLUG IN PLAY that was suppose to be with Win98 and XP??? I'm serious though if publishers like you and Sharpnel and HPS went to consoles I'd dump this lousy computer crap in the closet and never look back. So, when yah gonna be doing this? ;)

It is called "Plug and Play" or "Plug&Play" and it has nothing to do with software upgrades for applications or games. It was ment to be a hazzle free way of attaching computer peripherals without the need of installing drivers for it.

Actually it was a MacOS "invention", were it actually works, for most of the part [;)]

Software always will need patches, it comes naturally with the gazillions of hardware, software, drivers und user settings variations and combinations available (not to speak of user messing with their OS). It will never be different on this platform. Oh, and may of our so called "patches" or also upgrades and mini add-ons, do no forget that.
Marc von Martial

Most people like and need time to absorb advancements, they don't want to be using one thing today with a 500 page manual only to HAVE to use something else tomorrow with a 1000 page one.

The world would be a much more relaxed place if users would actually read manuals [:'(]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Funny I don't have a single patch for all the SOFTWARE I bought between 1982 and 1994....so where's this ALWAYS need patching? ;) Oh I take that back Master of Magic did have one patch that I recall. ;) Wow just one game out of 100's required a patch from 1982 to 1994 imagine that.
The world would be a much more relaxed place if users would actually read manuals

It would also be a much more relaxed place if publishers didn't use us as guinea pigs to find the bugs. Software is the ONLY product I know that can goto shelves or released BROKEN and FLAWED (publishers full well know it's bugged and flawed before even shipping) and you can't get a refund on it. Seriously name me one other product that goes to market BROKEN and FLAWED like software? I can't think of a single one and just about every other product out there there is a 30 day return policy on it in most stores where I live. Hell if I buy a gallon of milk and at the 1/4 mark of it left it goes sour before the due date I get a FULL GALLON to replace it.

I certainly agree the CONSOLE is the way to go. But, you know it will just become like the computer software we get today eventually. You'll be REQUIRED to have an internet connection to get REQUIRED Patches for games to work on them eventually. "Mark my Words" lol. I just saw a program actually on the future of gaming and it's actually all going to be tied to being online in the future. No discs no consoles just your HD TV and a controller and you'll have to buy all the services from online so no bargain bin, no ebaying, no nothing, all controlled from the internet. :)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Marc von Martial

Funny I don't have a single patch for all the SOFTWARE I bought between 1982 and 1994....so where's this ALWAYS need patching? ;) Oh I take that back Master of Magic did have one patch that I recall. ;) Wow just one game out of 100's required a patch from 1982 to 1994 imagine that.

The funny thing with your reply is that you apparently mean this serious right?
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Yeah I'm serious I don't have but that one patch for Master of Magic and every game I have for my C64 and Amiga 500 and my 486sx25 works just fine, no crashes, no bugs, no flaws no blue screens of death nothing but pure gaming pleasure and I have a chitload of games for all 3 in the closet. Last I counted was over 348 and that's not even counting my PC games from 95 to present.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Seriously name me one other product that goes to market BROKEN and FLAWED like software?

Automobiles. I just got a recall notice on a ten year old car. Might start a fire in a small percentage of vehicles. I'll have to read that D10 thread again to see what my hit chances are...

Meanwhile, I was in the auto business for over thirty years and I saw plenty of OOPS bulletins and recalls.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Marc von Martial

Okay, I will explain it for you. Maybe you will event think about it.

The C-64 is a closed system, almost everything is fixed. Like with the Amiga 500 or any other Commodore of that time. You could consider them "consoles" so to say. With the limited variety 386 or 486 machines had back then in hardware and drivers options you could even compare those to more or less closed systems. Closed hardware systems are what make "bug free" developing for them way easier then developing for a system where not one setup matches the other.

This is not the case anymore, with hundreds of hardware manufacturers, the OS becoming costumizeable as hell and thousands of software options and OS software extensions for the users.

Games had bugs and crashed out of the blue, the C-64 and Amiga were crashing too and on my 486 times I had a lot of software related crashes, you tend overly "glorify" the "good old days" were everything worked. Back then people were simply living with the faults. Times have changed since.

Marc von Martial

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
Seriously name me one other product that goes to market BROKEN and FLAWED like software?

Automobiles. I just got a recall notice on a ten year old car. Might start a fire in a small percentage of vehicles. I'll have to read that D10 thread again to see what my hit chances are...

Meanwhile, I was in the auto business for over thirty years and I saw plenty of OOPS bulletins and recalls.

I will add any other electronic device to it. You just need to actually care about them in order to get notice of the faults [;)]

Gamers hang around on game websites and forums and thus get aware of all the "product breaking" problems. If you would hang around on let say a DSLR "grognard" forum you would think that you could never shoot a photo with a recently released camera. It is all a matter of perspective and making a big fuzz about nothing.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

And of course that is just YOUR PERSPECTIVE and not one highly accepted I'm sure. You're a techno geek of course you would side with the industry standards. I'm a consumer and I see things quite differently and through another PERSPECTIVE that is quite commonly accepted. Once again we are back to the MOB, I know 10 people who agree with me and they know 10 people who agree and on an on. The MOB always wins, the MOB is the one with the money to buy the product, not the other way around. The MOB can make or break a business or even a game. Just look at the scores the mob gives on Gamerankings or Gamespot or even Gamespy. The MOB rules and will always rule and it's the developers and publishers who will either have to apease the mob or just not make much money. The MOB is the one that put Starforce in its place with several popular publishers. I need not say more, but, I will. ;) The MOB has put VISTA in its place it will disappear like a rotten apple and be replaced by something the MOB will accept or not that is to be seen when Window 7 appears. It's just like this IE 7.0 issue with this game. You'll never really know I suppose how many sales you lost because of it. You can scoff it off that you didn't lose any, but, I know of at least four that were lost because of it right here in my hometown. But, by the same token I know of four that will now buy it because there is a fix for IE 6.0 users. SO, yah gotta figure if there's four here there's four more some place else and on an on. So, you just can't say stay up with technology or else to the consumer. You'll find the consumer will just move on to something else or find someone that makes things that work with what they already have without forcing them to get something they don't have or don't want.

Also, your analogies and usage of cars and electronics are worthless, because I said that you can't get a refund on as well as replaced with a working model. For a car and electronics it might be just one item. Software is many items over several months to years to fix. Whereas a car or electric item will be fixed THAT DAY as long as you take it in for service of the recall part or whatever. ;) So, that didn't work at all. Software is non-returnable and you never know when if ever it's going to be fixed. Didn't you and others just admit that IE 6.0 was buggy and flawed FOR YEARS? Hrmmm? I rest my case. ;)

British tommy

Post by British tommy »

Such a long thread for such a small problem![:(]
I must agree with the others who said Ravinhood should stick with his console and outdated computers [8|]
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Ahhh someone with 5 posts making a comment on what Ravinhood should do. lmao

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well I upgraded to IE7 and am playing Kharkov and using the generators.

It's not being used as my internet browser and I'm enjoying playing this new game.

Thx
Alba gu' brath
British tommy

Post by British tommy »

LOL! [:D]
Well I'm the new boy here but after reading your posts here, you come across as Mr Angry [:@]
But I bet your a nice guy really :)
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: British tommy

LOL! [:D]
Well I'm the new boy here but after reading your posts here, you come across as Mr Angry [:@]
But I bet your a nice guy really :)

I'm the meanest som biatch you ever saw that pet the bunny. ;) I'm a nice guy, but, I won't back down. You'll see if you hang around long enough. ;)

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I've known BT for years. He just hasn't had a reason to join Matrix. He's a good guy but will poke you with a stick once in a while just to see if you are awake.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

I've known BLT for years and I still enjoy it most as a samich. ;)

wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Well I upgraded to IE7 and am playing Kharkov and using the generators.

It's not being used as my internet browser and I'm enjoying playing this new game.

Thx

Taking advantage of easily obtainable 3rd party files (such as ia IE7) is an improvement in programming. Back in the 1980's and before a company had to pack all the data, bells & whistles and tools required into each product on floppy discs.

This was a nightmare if you worked in the field of software developement.

The majority of a software companies users having easy access to 3rd party files was not a viable option. Things have improved greatly in twenty-five years.

I am only one voice, but I can't get worked over having to install IE7 to make a game work. If it was not listed the requirements that would be one thing, but it is.

RH, I was going to keep quite, but I feel you thrashing the new forum member was in poor taste. 1 post or 10,000 posts, each person's opinions have value and deserve respect.

Have a nice day.
Flipper
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Your point? I didn't realize post count had any correlation with the value of one's opinion.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Thrashing? Who was thrashing? I was merely making an observation. I also think anyone who hasn't even been around long enough for others to get aquainted with and come into a thread and bash ME is a bit over the top. If anyone did any uncalled for thrashing FIRST it was him not me. I think you are another butinski who should just mind your own business until confronted....too many butinski's in this world and damn if I don't think 99% of them are on this forum. ;)

Return to “Panzer Command: Kharkov”