RBG Editing Questions

Please post here for questions and discussion about unit modeling and general game modding. You can also post your new units and modifications here.

Moderator: EagleMountainDK

Erik Rutins

RBG Editing Questions

Post by Erik Rutins »

Use this thread for questions related to editing the Random Battle Generator Files.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mraah

RE: RBG Editing Questions

Post by Mraah »

Erik,

The template portion of the manual didn't mention reinforcement rules for unit placement.

I'm assuming, from the other templates, that is why the infantry placements are all along the edge of the map??

Also, I have a suggestion .... I think edge placement should be coded with a REINFORCEMENT ONLY tag. I've noticed in RBG or RCG that it seems to place this location on initial start ... I could be wrong, I haven't played many random games yet (just 3) but I have a feeling ...[:(].

Thanks,
Rob
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Any platoon placements within 100m of the edge of a map template have the chance of being used as reinforcements if the battle plan allows for reinforcements. That's basically the rule.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Any platoon placements within 100m of the edge of a map template have the chance of being used as reinforcements if the battle plan allows for reinforcements. That's basically the rule.

Ok, you mentioned chance of being used as reinforcements ... from this I gather there's a chance it uses these locations during the initial random setup for non-reinforcements ?

If so ... I think this is bad ... IMO. If that location is in open terrain the infantry will be toast on the first few turns because of bad placement. Please change this and have these edge locations ONLY reinforcement locations.

Thanks again!!

Rob
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Those locations could be needed in high point density battles, so we have to leave the possibility of using them for normal placements as well. In most cases, stationary infantry is not easily spotted. As long as the player during placement moves them into or behind cover, or waits to move them until he knows where the enemy is, it should work fine. I've played random battles where I had a platoon use one of those placements and it didn't really cause me any trouble.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
I've played random battles where I had a platoon use one of those placements and it didn't really cause me any trouble.

Erik,

Yes, they don't cause me any trouble either ... I'm thinkin for the A/I's sake ... or does the A/I get a chance to move his/her units during setup?

Hmmm.... another idea ... have the A/I move his/her units during setup [;)]. Hmmm, after placing the units, before my setup, it can reroll the A/I placements until they roll outside ... ONLY for those lousy open space rolls.

Anyway, yes ... I see your point [:)]. Just a suggestion for the A/I (he maybe a smart player but has a lousy judgement on placement).

Rob
Mraah

Presets ?

Post by Mraah »

Erik,

I think you mentioned elsewhere that the other XML's in the Preset folder are unaccessable for RBG's right? I mean, for the moment that is. Can they be used for the RCG or am I thinking battlepans for RCG?

Sorry, it's been months since I dove into the random generated part of this game ... and I'm going back to researching what's been talked about, etc.

Thanks,
Rob
Stridor

RE: Presets ?

Post by Stridor »

ORIGINAL: Mraah

Erik,

I think you mentioned elsewhere that the other XML's in the Preset folder are unaccessable for RBG's right? I mean, for the moment that is. Can they be used for the RCG or am I thinking battlepans for RCG?

Sorry, it's been months since I dove into the random generated part of this game ... and I'm going back to researching what's been talked about, etc.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

There is a simple switch called showinmenu in the preset xml for the RBG to display that preset or not to the user. All presets etc are available to the RCG.

This was done so the user wasn't overloaded with too many esoteric presets.

Regards

S.
Mraah

RE: Presets ?

Post by Mraah »

ORIGINAL: Stridor
Rob,

There is a simple switch called showinmenu in the preset xml for the RBG to display that preset or not to the user. All presets etc are available to the RCG.

This was done so the user wasn't overloaded with too many esoteric presets.

Regards

S.

Doh ! I totally missed that ... thanks. Here's a screenshot if anyone else wants to change it (maybe I'll make a mini-mod).

Thanks!

Attachments
showinmenu.jpg
showinmenu.jpg (159.88 KiB) Viewed 311 times
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

EDIT
Leaving original msg in case someone else does the same dumb thing.

My problem was that changing Side 1 points, impacted on Side 2, so I had to also change Side 2 points. Ended up setting both to 500.

Thanks
Rick

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
SOLVED
I'm working on a battle plan for 3rd Pz Div. I've entered the I Bn of 6th Pz Rgt as core units.

When I went into RBG to test it, I got error 042 "error in points field".

I went back in and changed pts field to 600 - same result, changed it to 500, same result.
Below is line that has points field:

Any ideas?

<side name="german" player="human" preset="random" posture="attack,attack,defend,defbonus" points="500" reinforcements="yes" exp="veteran,elite" str="operational,full,under" minefields="none,sparse" setup="east,east,east,east,north east,north east,south east,south east,north,south,north west,south west" briefing="">

thanks,
RIck

Return to “Maps, Models and Mods”