Suggestions for modern, non military strategy/ management games?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ridcully70

Suggestions for modern, non military strategy/ management games?

Post by Ridcully70 »

Maybe the thread title says it all [;)]. I'm looking for any recommedations for any type of strategy game (which may include "management" games) that are strictly set in the real, modern world. By this criteria I include something like the Sim City games.

I have played and greatly enjoyed games along the lines of Ceasar 3 and Patrician 3 (heck even The Sims [:)] ) and I would like to play something along those lines, albeit with a modern setting. The problem I think that many gamers have is that "management" games are often seen as a bit dry, and to appeal to more casual gamers they add some historical flavour to disguise the number crunching. Yet ironically that's what I now want to avoid, in favour of something more contemporary. I don't have any particular preference beyond that. The less "cartoony" inpresentation the better though for me.

Well, I'm not sure if anyone shares that particualr taste in strategy games here, but if anyone can help, thanks![:)]
Grell

RE: Suggestions for modern, non military strategy/ management games?

Post by Grell »

Hi Ridcully,

I don't like those types of games but there is one that I can think of it's called SimCity Societies.

Regards,

Grell
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

SimCity Societies is VERY cartoony, so don't look at that.

The older SimCity 4 Deluxe is very nice for management and such, but will not give you the industrial management like the others. You could look at the rather old (but rather cheap) Capitalism or Capitalism 2 by Trevor Chan, which is a business sim. Industry Giant 2 is also older and a bit cheaper, but has a lot of industrial management (but this game WILL NOT work with certain types of nVidia graphics cards, a fact which will not likely change). Finally, there is the new version of City Life 2008, which is an update of the few years old City Life series. It is a city builder, but there is a lot of social planning needed to manage the different subcultures of people in your city, which do not get along together (much like a real city).

It isn't modern, and it is slightly cartoony, but the colonial sim 1701 A.D. is tons of fun. Also, if you like the Caribbean, you could try Port Royale, which is a heavy and hardcore trade sim set in the age of piracy.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

I play Locomotion(It's not as bad as they say) and Railroad Tycoon 3

Edit:I HATE Simcity Societies.My cousin has it.No wonder it gets such bad reviews.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Ridcully70

Post by Ridcully70 »

Thanks for the recommendations. I think Capitalism 2 is probably the first of those I'll look into. I don't suppose if anyone knows of a game of that type that includes merchant shipping? I don't really know why I've become interested in this type of stuff lately, as I have no background in business or anything like that. Maybe it's a latent longing for pie charts from dry Modern Studies lessons at school in the 1980s [:D]

I did have Port Royale 2 briefly, as I enjoyed Ascarons other trading game Patrician 3 greatly. But there was a graphics card issue which meant it wouldn't run. It's definitely a game I'd like to play at a later point though. I also have, not Anno 1701, but Anno 1503. It looks like it could be really good but I'll need to get a bigger monitor before I can really play it! [:)]
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Capitalism is great. Hence my wish to see more of that type of games ;).

Deus Vult.
panzers

Post by panzers »

I would like to see a game that recreates a presidential campaign trail with all the different strategies.
I like political games in general, I do have such a game, it's called political machine but that game has so many viruses, I'm afraid I might contact one.
That was one of the most poorly made games of all time, but the mechanics of the game were actually pretty good. to get them to work properly is an entirely different story.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Anything that has word Tycoon on it: Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon... and some funny ones, like Pizza Tycoon. Theme Park serie could be worth to look into, and I liked original even in last years of last millennia. Nothing else comes to mind right now, but if I see something in magazines or elsewhere, I'll post about it here.

[edit]
I would like to see a game that recreates a presidential campaign trail with all the different strategies.
Shadow President could be worth to look into, even though it's from 1994. I know there are some recent ones, but I don't remember any names of those [8|]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Terl

Post by Terl »

Maybe The Political Machine by Stardock?
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: Terl

Dude, read the whole message. That game is severely infected and completely unplayable, unless they put in several patches to clear them up, it is a wothless piece of garbage. I would like a game from matrix with whom I can trust.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: panzers

Dude, read the whole message. That game is severely infected and completely unplayable, unless they put in several patches to clear them up, it is a wothless piece of garbage. I would like a game from matrix with whom I can trust.

Sorry, I pulled it off Matti's post and did not read all of yours. I have never had an issue with Stardock's games before. I never gave viruses a thought; I have had AVG report potential viruses that are not there, I suppose this could happen with other security software. I am not going to say yea or nay on it as I have not tried the game at all. I know they just came out with a new one updated for 2008. I can say I have games from stardock and their TotalGaming and have never had one bit of a problem.
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: panzers

Sorry, I pulled it off Matti's post and did not read all of yours. I have never had an issue with Stardock's games before. I never gave viruses a thought; I have had AVG report potential viruses that are not there, I suppose this could happen with other security software. I am not going to say yea or nay on it as I have not tried the game at all. I know they just came out with a new one updated for 2008. I can say I have games from stardock and their TotalGaming and have never had one bit of a problem.
Being that I loved the game engine, maybe I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they learned from their past mistakes. They rushed that first one together in less than 2 months and it clearly showed
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

For those interested in political games, check the other thread about exactly that.
President Forever seems like a real gem.
Deus Vult.

Return to “General Discussion”