SPWaW Technical Issues

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

RE: SPWaW Technical Issues

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Karnaaj

Continuing blackouts (repeatedly redrawing, then blackout again) seem to be related to the ATI Remote Wonder task I had running. (Makes it a lot easier to adjust the volume or change tracks from across the room - the box in question is 24/7, and playing music is manditory for me. <G>) It still wants to blackout, but it comes back and generally stays good.

You're running a background music-playing program while running SPWaW? Don't do that. SPWaW is a notorious memory hog. It demands your PC's full attention. Doesn't matter how much RAM you have -- SPWaW will suck up all of the resources it can. I don't dare try to run WMP or whatever in the background while playing the game. Think about this -- the game's sound FX demand unfettered use of your sound card.
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

I jam to CCR while playing all the time. Sometimes John Williams (Imperial March).
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Goblin
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

I jam to CCR while playing all the time. Sometimes John Williams (Imperial March).

Goblin
I jam my fist into a picture of Goblin when i lose a tank..
[:D][:D][:D]

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Well, I love sound of flamethrowers and satchel charges, and the music of Iggy Pop & the Stooges. It's pretty much the same.
Karnaaj

Post by Karnaaj »

Actually, waaay back when, WinAmp and SPWAW seemed to dislike each other more. Now, it's running fine - 2 gig of RAM does help, as does the Athlon64 3000+ (1.8 gHz). Throw enough resources at it, and even SPWAW will just happily sit bloating itself on the goodies. <heheheh>

Just checking now - with Supercharge (scen. ##... uhm, I forget <G>) running the preliminary bombardment, mech.exe is leeching 70-80% of the CPU, but it's not causing anything to delay or lag. (Only 17.688 meg of RAM, versus Firefox (8-14% CPU, 69.6 meg) or Winamp (2-8% CPU, 14 meg or so). It's also playing nice and giving back CPU when other programs want it. (Other tasks running: AVG antivirus, Trillian (instant messenger), Daemontools (virtual CD/DVD drives), VolumeLogic plugin for Winamp (on-the-fly automatic gain control), and a few other things. Like Task Manager. <G> 100% CPU in use, but only 569 meg or RAM.)

I suppose I could always try one of the (ancient) laptops, but the one with functioning WiFi needs some soldering on the power-plug connector. (Toshiba Satellite series - the $20 one is a Celeron 350, the free one is Celeron 400. Both have some horribly small amount of max RAM, and like unto 16 meg (or was that K?) of video RAM. Either way, WinSP:MBT was pretty sluggish.

Anyway, the only real problem now (for me, at least) is that bloody "Y" key. ("Y key, why? Y you so mean to me?") For which I'm not willing to roll drivers back and forth -&nbsp; guess I'll just have to be careful.

Back to Supercharge... I think I've played this before, but I don't remember for sure. I know all those little tin-plated tanks are gonna get eaten pretty badly...

michigan

Post by michigan »

I'm not a computer geek, just a person who enjoys war games (starting with Tactics II board game).&nbsp; I run a Dell GX280 with windows xp Pro SP2 and have been using it for Steel Panthers for over a year.&nbsp; Due to some errors on my part I had to reload the operating system and software.&nbsp; Now my Steel Panthers v8.4 appears to have a calculation problem.&nbsp; A T-34 being hit by a tiger's 88 is receiving penetration ratings of 5XXX or 6XXX.&nbsp; These are straight on shots being tested with training scenario on how to use a tiger.&nbsp; Use to be able to brew them up for fun and now I can't destroy any.&nbsp; Any idea as to what happened or how to fix it?&nbsp; I've reloaded SPWaW three times along with patches.&nbsp; Verrrrrrry frustrated!
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: michigan

I'm not a computer geek, just a person who enjoys war games (starting with Tactics II board game).  I run a Dell GX280 with windows xp Pro SP2 and have been using it for Steel Panthers for over a year.  Due to some errors on my part I had to reload the operating system and software.  Now my Steel Panthers v8.4 appears to have a calculation problem.  A T-34 being hit by a tiger's 88 is receiving penetration ratings of 5XXX or 6XXX.  These are straight on shots being tested with training scenario on how to use a tiger.  Use to be able to brew them up for fun and now I can't destroy any.  Any idea as to what happened or how to fix it?  I've reloaded SPWaW three times along with patches.  Verrrrrrry frustrated!
delte steel prefs file inside your "save" folder

Apocal

Post by Apocal »

I'm still having a problem with the artillery screen taking multiple attempts before accepting an action. I'm running XP and&nbsp;I've already set mech.exe to Windows 98 compatibility. The problem is still there. I'm using version 8.4 without the Enhanced mod.
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Apocal

I'm still having a problem with the artillery screen taking multiple attempts before accepting an action. I'm running XP and I've already set mech.exe to Windows 98 compatibility. The problem is still there. I'm using version 8.4 without the Enhanced mod.

Tyr updating to Version 8.403
I think this was addressed in that update.

Apocal

Post by Apocal »

Installed the 8.403 patch, still have the problem. Can't for hte life of me figure out what is causing it.
Reg

LCD Monitor Setup

Post by Reg »

You guys might find this thread useful if you are having issues with LCD monitor displays (not clear, widescreen stretch)

quick question re: graphics
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Apocal

Post by Apocal »

Followup: Problem went away after I finally rebooted my computer. Guess it takes a restart for the patch to take.
lynxcat

Post by lynxcat »

I just tried to run SPWAW on my new computer that uses Windows Vista and the graphics are really bad. Before I had a laptop with windows XP and it ran fine. I'm wondering if it won't be compatible with Vista?
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: lynxcat

I just tried to run SPWAW on my new computer that uses Windows Vista and the graphics are really bad. Before I had a laptop with windows XP and it ran fine. I'm wondering if it won't be compatible with Vista?

Try this thread

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13370

lynxcat

Post by lynxcat »

Hey I've tried to register to get on that site and they have banned hotmail accounts for some reason... In fact just reading the Terms of Service for that place makes it seem like they are really uptight!
Alby

Post by Alby »

Try these suggestions

COMPATIBILITY MODE SET TO WIN XP
Make sure your Compatability Mode (right click on the mech.exe in your SPWAW folder).  is also set for 800x600 resolution.

DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION
make sure your DirectX and video card drivers are up to date even on a new system

Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Hey I've tried to register to get on that site and they have banned hotmail accounts for some reason... In fact just reading the Terms of Service for that place makes it seem like they are really uptight!

I think you will find it to be quite the opposite of 'uptight' [;)]. Worth the effort to register, as are the Enhanced Forums in Alby's sig. The Depot is recognized by Matrix as the official support forum for the game, and the Enhanced Forum is the base for ENH 2008.

Goblin
lynxcat

Post by lynxcat »

OK Well didn't want to upset anyone but when reading the intro to the site includes threats of $50.00 fines and armies of lawyers going after you and your credit ratings, it just doesn't come across as a very friendly place.[&:] Well, I did try anyway ( just with the intent of not posting anything! ) only to find that hotmail accounts are banned. If you know of any free email accounts I could get that are acceptable by them I'd be glad to get one, but I'm not going to get an email account I have to pay for just to be able too look at one site!
lynxcat

Post by lynxcat »

I did try what you suggested on the compatability mode and 800x600 resolution... In fact I ended up trying just about every possible combination of settings in compatability for mech.exe, all with either the same result or would not run at all.
I'll try and update the DirectX and video drivers and see what happens. I'm thinking it must be some kind of video compatability problem because the game seems to run, the colors just go all crazy after a second. Also the videos at the into don't play and they used to on my laptop with XP. And my laptop was an LCD monitor as well. Grrrrrr!! and I liked this game sooo much! I hate computers!!!![:@]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

No,they are.I've been banned twice(currently on second ban) and is goig to be on probation.FlashfyreSP is registered there apperently he doesn't like new folks.Worth a shot though.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”