Booby trapped cities

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

marcusm

Booby trapped cities

Post by marcusm »

Just wondering after having watched a Battlefield documentary.

Does TOAW3 simulate in any way the creation of hazards in cities/terrain like for instance entire booby trapped cities/villages and other obstacles not directly tied to a military unit. Also thinking of large mine fields etc.

I don't design scenarios so I don't know if there is a special terrain type with lethality rates or such.
Deus Vult.
Curtis Lemay

RE: Booby trapped cities

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Just wondering after having watched a Battlefield documentary.

Does TOAW3 simulate in any way the creation of hazards in cities/terrain like for instance entire booby trapped cities/villages and other obstacles not directly tied to a military unit. Also thinking of large mine fields etc.

I don't design scenarios so I don't know if there is a special terrain type with lethality rates or such.

Minefields are not (yet) implemented. But Contaminated Hexes might suffice. Of course, they eventually expire, & give an edge to equipment with NBC protection.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Menschenfresser

Post by Menschenfresser »

You could model either booby trapped locations or minefields indirectly by having a unit appear in an off map area (i.e. cannot move into play) when force X occupies city/hex Z. This unit would have almost no on-hand equipment but some authorized. The unit would then siphon off replacement equipment over a few turns simulating loss from minefields & booby traps.
Make wargames, not war.
Karri

Post by Karri »

No need for such a thing...booby traps, minefields etc. are nor 'designed' to be used as something that causes casualties, rather as something that slows down the enemy.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Well thats why I thought about terrain mods.

Reason I was thinking about it was because they used it as a tactic in the Finnish Winter war. Creating
buffer zones with nothing but mined villages.
Deus Vult.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

'Refugees' are specific to a location and slow movement. That might work.
Boonierat

Post by Boonierat »

ORIGINAL: Karri

No need for such a thing...booby traps, minefields etc. are nor 'designed' to be used as something that causes casualties, rather as something that slows down the enemy.

Nearly 10% of US battlefield casualties in Vietnam were caused by boobytraps and mines. The TOAW scale is too big to represent boobytraps though, but minefield would be a good addition yeah.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”