game wont install

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

maximus102

game wont install

Post by maximus102 »

I am running Vista. I cannot install my game. When i right click on the autorun icon, click run as administrator, click allow program to run, i get fatal error 771. There dosen't seem to be an install icon that i can click, so im assuming autorun is the icon you click on to install the game. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joe
rtrapasso

RE: game wont install

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: maximus102

I am running Vista. I cannot install my game. When i right click on the autorun icon, click run as administrator, click allow program to run, i get fatal error 771. There dosen't seem to be an install icon that i can click, so im assuming autorun is the icon you click on to install the game. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joe

Your problem is VISTA... seriously, installation is a big problem with VISTA... since i don't run VISTA, i don't know how people have gotten around all the problems.

Normally when you insert the disc, you should get an option to install it - i don't think you click on autorun (but that is with Xp, not VISTA).
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Anyone who runs VISTA feel free to chime in here!!
maximus102

Post by maximus102 »

Thanks for your response. I bought the game as a digital download, and of course made a copy, good thing my computer died, and thats how i ended up with Vista. I know Vista has problems, but my question is that when i open the Game folder there isn't an Install icon, i can click on, is this because i bought the game as a digital download, or is there somthing missing on my game. Even if i was running XP, there isn't anything in my game folder that will let me install the game. Shouldn't there be a file in the game folder when i open it that says install? I would be glad to e-mail you my serial # from the game, to prove that i bought it.

Joe
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

It may be easier to just re-download the game from start from scratch. That is what I did when I got my VISTA machine and I had very few issues.
Flipper
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Thanks for your response. I bought the game as a digital download, and of course made a copy, good thing my computer died, and thats how i ended up with Vista. I know Vista has problems, but my question is that when i open the Game folder there isn't an Install icon, i can click on, is this because i bought the game as a digital download, or is there somthing missing on my game. Even if i was running XP, there isn't anything in my game folder that will let me install the game. Shouldn't there be a file in the game folder when i open it that says install? I would be glad to e-mail you my serial # from the game, to prove that i bought it.

Joe

What exactly did you make a copy of? Normally, all that is needed is the original installation file, and clicking on that decompresses it and starts the installation, iirc.
maximus102

Post by maximus102 »

I made a copy of the game that i downloaded. I put it on a DVD, so that if something ever happened to my hard drive i would be able to reload it.

Joe
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

I made a copy of the game that i downloaded. I put it on a DVD, so that if something ever happened to my hard drive i would be able to reload it.

Joe
Joe,

I tried transfering from my old XP machine and it didn't work. That is why I re-downloaded and started from scratch.
Flipper
maximus102

Post by maximus102 »

How do i re-download the game?

Joe
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

It depends - how long ago was your original download??
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Joe

This is vague - do you mean you tried to backup the installed game to the DVD?

There is ONE file you need - and only one to install.. once installed, you can download the two upgrades (1.804 comprehensive, 1.806 revised).
maximus102

Post by maximus102 »

OK, in 2006, i bought the game useing digital download, no physical copy. I made a DVD copy of the game, so i would have a back up. I lost the hard drive on my machine and my digitaly downloaded game went with it. Now when i put the DVD in my new machine, and open it to install it, it wont install, there is no install file. apparently i dont have the one and only file that will let the game install, so i will have to re-download the game. How do i re-download the game? When i bought it shouldn't matter, i paid them for it. This is why digital downloads dont give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I hope this makes my situation clearer.

Joe
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

You need to redownload from Digital River - you will need the original credit card number you paid for the original order, iirc.

And, i would strongly recommend burning a copy of the download file to a CD and keeping it safe, along with the serial number.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I had the same problem with WPO, I have my serial number though but can't figure out how to re-download it. The credit card I used is no longer active.[&:]
Good luck.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

i've never had to deal with a re-download, so i am not sure of the process...
Greg Wilcox

Post by Greg Wilcox »

I would try going to the store and clicking on the "order status" should provide you with some info.

-Greg
Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

It sounds like he made a copy of the game install folder not the installation file. He should be able to just copy everything from the CD and then apply the two patches.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nomad

It sounds like he made a copy of the game install folder not the installation file. He should be able to just copy everything from the CD and then apply the two patches.

Don't think so - this would not modify the Registry, and the game would therefore not be installed.

pompack

Post by pompack »

I had a lot of Vista problems, but not in starting the installation.

Process I used

1. Get new computer and discover I have to deal with Vista [:@]
2. Transfer download file from back up disk to new computer (do NOT attempt to install from the CD). File name is "WarInThePacific-Setup-DR" and it is 477,870KB in size
3. Invoke the file (from memory, not the CD)
4. DO NOT CHANGE THE INSTALL LOCATION FROM ROOT (the default location) TO PROGRAM FILES; IT WILL NOT RUN CONSISTENTLY.
5. Install the patches

Once I installed using this process I have not had a single problem
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: pompack

I had a lot of Vista problems, but not in starting the installation.

Process I used

1. Get new computer and discover I have to deal with Vista [:@]
2. Transfer download file from back up disk to new computer (do NOT attempt to install from the CD). File name is "WarInThePacific-Setup-DR" and it is 477,870KB in size
3. Invoke the file (from memory, not the CD)
4. DO NOT CHANGE THE INSTALL LOCATION FROM ROOT (the default location) TO PROGRAM FILES; IT WILL NOT RUN CONSISTENTLY.
5. Install the patches

Once I installed using this process I have not had a single problem
Thanks, Jay!! [&o] [&o] [&o]

Return to “Tech Support”