3rd Party Known ANW Issues: - A Walkthrough

Post bug reports, technical support request and store or installation issue reports here.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Bucks

3rd Party Known ANW Issues: - A Walkthrough

Post by Bucks »

I invite the maintainers of the 3rd Party Known ANW Issues list to add their list here and I will endeavour to identify issues that can be confirmed and resolved in the ongoing Harpoon3 ANW development process. As long as people are happy to take part constructively and in an attempt to improve the game I am more than happy to devote some time to working through the list.

Thanks in advance

Darren Buckley
Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1
Blacklight

RE: 3rd Party Known ANW Issues: - A Walkthrough

Post by Blacklight »

You should invite Herman Hum back here.  He's the one who maintains the most extensive bug list on H3 ANW.
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

I'm inviting either Herman or anyone who deputies for to post the list. If not I'll simply copy both the unresolved issues and the "new to 3.9" issues already posted here.

Then I'll number them and deal with each on some type of priority basis. I believe Herman is banned from this forum and as I have no admin or moderator privledges here I have no power to reinstate Herman to the Matrix Forums.

Regardless, I intend on dealing with Herman's list and also with any further issues he believes he's found. I'll transfer the list ASAP and commence numbering the issues so they can be dealt with in a methodical manner.

Cheers

Darren

rsharp@advancedgamin

Post by rsharp@advancedgamin »

Howdy folks,

I can't invite Herman as he is no longer allowed on this forum for past behavior. It's out of my hands but I cannot say I would do any different. If he wants to have his bug list posted here by someone else, that's more than welcome by me.

I will say that the most comprehensive bug list is maintained at AGSI by our bug tracker, Mantis. Much of his list is in there, came from there, and is also equally inadequately maintained. We continue to work on building the most accurate list of issues and best collection of features to make the best naval warfare game. We are considering making the bug tracker public again so we can better work with the users on this.

Thanks,
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

I've transferred the "List of known ANW issues here. I'll attempt to number the issues and deal with each as I have time to complete the relevant testing. In response to the outstanding issues listed I will attempt to deal with them individually and if these concerns can be replicated I'll have them dealt with by the AGSI Dev Team through the internal Bug tracking system.

It has be represented to the Harpoon community that these 101 behaviours do not appear to have been resolved by the Harpoon3 ANW 3.9.0 patch. List compiled and maintained by Herman Hum. Verification and testing conducted by Darren Buckley on behalf of AGSI and the Harpoon3 ANW 3.10 Development Team.

These 68 new behaviours appear to have been introduced by the 3.9.0 patch:

Ok, if Herman or the PDB guys find more issues they can let me know and I'll add to this list. I don't expect to deal with these sequentially but the numbering system should allow me to keep track of what's being dealt with. I expect I'll being looking at Crashes initially as anything that kills the game in that fashion has top priority internally during development. Also I'll be looking for DB related issues as they, from my consideration probably account for a good proportion of the listed issues.

Thanks in advance

Darren Buckley

FreekS

Post by FreekS »

Here is another bug I encountered:

Helo's Intercept Subs at Medium Altitude and Do Not Fire

To reproduce:
Download test scen (created in PDB)
- order DDG east at creep
- set sonar intermittent
- launch helo
- when submarine is detected select sub
- hit airops (or F6)
- assign helo to intercept sub
Watch how helo will rise to 2000m and loiter over sub but never drop torpedo.
Workaround: take control of helo manually, order to vLow altitude and drop torpedo
However the method described above is a very common way to deal with submarines especially in busy scenarios.

For testscen http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=255
KLAB

Post by KLAB »

Would any of the above issues explain why after two days of trying I have yet to succesfully drop any type of bomb wether LGB/KAB or dumb from any type of aircraft at any combination of speed or altitude despite checking that all launch parameters were compliant? The menus allow me to assign bombs to drop but nothing them happens? JDAMS are the only bomb weapons that appear to work? This applies to all the DB's I have tried including the standard one that comes with the game?
Also why is there no dialogue box for selecting ARM targets for specific radars? It means you cant go for illuminating radars as a priority to foil SARH SAM's?

FreekS

Post by FreekS »

KLAB,

You are right!

I just tried to play MAY DAY (from Falklands battleset). I flew three groups of harriers from the carrier and tried to bomb the Port Stanley and Goose Green facilities. Neither bobs nor cluster bombs would drop. I can assign the bombs to the target, release but nothing happens and they still hang on the plane.

I have no idea what is happening but its a major bug.

FreekS

Post by FreekS »

Herman also noticed this and built test scens in HUD, ODB, PDB and ANWDB. He notices that occasionally some bombs drop - but then often not enough to drop the target and it seems impossible to drop the rest manually.

Please download files from GS as zip files are not supported here

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=258

and another set of testfiles here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=257
Blacklight

Post by Blacklight »

I would just like to say that I think it's awesome that this list is getting a good look at in an effort to squash it !   I hope this effort becomes fruitful !  We all want to see this list crushed ! [;)]

Keep up the good work !
Shemar

Post by Shemar »

After talking with Herman and having him produce a test Scenario I did some testing for item #116 CTD when altitude changed. The description fo the problem:

CTD when altitude changed

1. Run [PDb] CTD when altitude changed (3.9.0).SCN in GE
2. Order Helo to launch
3. Once launched, plot a path for it
4. Hit F2 to change altitude/speed
5. Use TAB key to move to Altitude Window
6. Ensure that altitude value is highlighted and then hit Delete key to empty the window
7. Hit Return key
8. A value of Zero will appear in highlights
9. Enter an altitude value of 564 and hit return, again. (You may have to hit return more than once)
10. CTD

I was able to replicate the problem using a test scenario of my own that mimicked the one Herman used based on the Standard Database, using the "SH-60B Seahawk [1985]" launched from "BB 61 Iowa". The crash had an over 50% frequency when using the exact steps, right after loading and starting the scenario. Based on what Herman told me, if it did not crash the first time then it would not crash at all, but since it did crash for me almost consistently I did not verify that part.

I then created the exact same scenario using the ANW 2.1 database, except I had to use "SH-60B Seahawk [1987]". In 5 out of 5 times the game did not CTD. I don't know if it was semi-random or not or if there is something different between the two situations.
rsharp@advancedgamin

Post by rsharp@advancedgamin »

Shemar,

I just went through those steps with the platforms involved. I attempted to replicate the issue in ODB and ANWDB but could not get the crash. The fact that it was not replicated in ANWDB 2.1 (not yet anyway) leads me to believe the issue is database related. I looked at the data and nothing stood out to me. Perhaps Darren could find something.

If you would, please e-mail me the test scenario for ODB that you got to replicate the issue.
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
Shemar

Post by Shemar »

I can also confirm that there is an issue with bombs. I tested using F15E Strike Eagles using Mk83 Iron Bombs against a large hangar and in most cases I could not get them to drop the bombs. I tried using a strike mission, using target intercept and manual fly overs and weapon releases. In all cases but two (both manual release) no bombs were dropped.

I used the HUD3 database and the 3.9 (Final) version of the game. As always the test scenario is availabe upon request, although I don't think this one will be hard to reproduce.
Shemar

Post by Shemar »

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

Shemar,

I just went through those steps with the platforms involved. I attempted to replicate the issue in ODB and ANWDB but could not get the crash. The fact that it was not replicated in ANWDB 2.1 (not yet anyway) leads me to believe the issue is database related. I looked at the data and nothing stood out to me. Perhaps Darren could find something.

If you would, please e-mail me the test scenario for ODB that you got to replicate the issue.

I am sending you the test scenario but,

Before I sent it, I decided to test one more time to make sure... no crash. That led to 3-4 more tests with no crash. I thought I was going crazy and then it hit me. I opened an MSN chat (I was using it to talk to Herman as I was testing), 2 crashes in a row. I close the chat, test again, no crash, I open another chat, test again, crash.

It -could- be random but it would be a pretty big coincidense. Anyway, I will send the file so if you have MSN you can verify my testing and see if that is within the realm of issues worth looking into.
planetbrain

Post by planetbrain »

I have it too that it is a problem dropping (at least) Iron Bombs from aircraft.
Take, for example, tutorial lesson 6 were you are supposed to drop bombs onto the fuel depot from one Hornet from the Teddy R. Occasionally this happens, no fuss. Mostly though it just hangs about, "prosecuting the target" without actually doing so before disappearing into the sunset back to base. Yet, if you instruct to allocate gunfire bursts, this it does, but still no bombing.
I wonder too, does this have anything to do with not being able to drag select the fuel depot. You have to click on it or it gets the select frame but the message is "no unit or group selected."
I've also tried to iron bomb with the 4 Falcons from the land base with, more or less, the same results.
One thing not yet resolved is the proper integration of the Media Viewer. The first time called it stays blank. Latter callings are OK but still minimize the game when in full screen.

I want to love this game and am happy to see its ongoing development rather than seeing it die altogether.
It is frustrating to realize that after all these years from Harpoon 2 to now one still has to put up with the same frustrating problems of multiple clicking to close windows, the awkwardness of changing windows and of basically every thing getting in every things way while trying to cope with something else in a game that requires much close attention. Why can't one pause or change game speed from ANY window? Why wait for video to stop before keying response to anything,etc? The integration is not quite there, surely.
It must all be incredibly difficult to resolve, and it stops me every time from really keeping on, but I reiterate that I am glad that the effort is being made.
The game is still one very precious commodity and with all its faults is still worth the purchase.
If only.....
'Mostly harmless'
Shemar

Post by Shemar »

@planetbrain:

For the Media Viewer, it is much better if you use window mode. That way you can also use your native resolution instead of being limited to the existing full screen ones.

I agree about some of the little annoying things with the user interface. Not that this makes it ok, but you do eventaully get used to the quirks, like always clicking on the main window before pausing etc. It becomes kind of second nature and it is not so bad.
Blacklight

Post by Blacklight »

I could care less about the interface right now if we could focus on squashing that bug list.  The interface is not a big deal to me.
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: planetbrain
<<edit>>

I wonder too, does this have anything to do with not being able to drag select the fuel depot. You have to click on it or it gets the select frame but the message is "no unit or group selected."

The drag-select function works on multiple units only. Therefore when you drag-select a single unit you will receive the "no unit or group selected" message.

One thing not yet resolved is the proper integration of the Media Viewer. The first time called it stays blank. Latter callings are OK but still minimize the game when in full screen.

I've entered the fullscreen media viewer issue into the AGSI bug tracking system on March 5th, and Russell is looking after it. I'd suggest that the report was so close to the final release that it probably didn't rate as highly as say issues with incorrect intercepts that was found around the same time.

I'd just like to go on the record here and say that the development process is a balance of fixing critical errors, such as crashes rather than always looking at what could be described as "cosmetic" issues. The resources are limited and a quick look at the credits will show the number of people involved in the 3.9 Beta Team was small and as most of you will realise testing this particular game can be just as time consuming as playing it, if not more.

My only excuse for none of the testers discovering the Media Viewer issue would be that most of us run the game windowed to allow quick access to other programs during Dev work. When I was putting the image sets together I had the game running, Paintshop, a few directory windows, the Reimer Editor, at least one Excel file and multiple webpages. Alt-Tabbing constantly soon drives a guy crazy, so...
I want to love this game and am happy to see its ongoing development rather than seeing it die altogether.

It is frustrating to realize that after all these years from Harpoon 2 to now one still has to put up with the same frustrating problems of multiple clicking to close windows, the awkwardness of changing windows and of basically every thing getting in every things way while trying to cope with something else in a game that requires much close attention. Why can't one pause or change game speed from ANY window? Why wait for video to stop before keying response to anything,etc? The integration is not quite there, surely.

It must all be incredibly difficult to resolve, and it stops me every time from really keeping on, but I reiterate that I am glad that the effort is being made.
The game is still one very precious commodity and with all its faults is still worth the purchase.
If only.....

As I stated above issues such as the Media Viewer/Full screen integration are more a matter of the way the Dev team use the game. I've entered the issue into the Bug tracker and I'm sure I can look forward to having it fixed for 3.10, if not before depending on what the cause of the issue is. For instance if the problem is associated with the Media Viewer itself we may be able to have a patch posted for full screen users. No promises.

I've made this point before and I will again here. I will be endeavouring to use this Matrix H3ANW Support Forum for what we could loosely call "customer feedback". Please keep in mind I have a real life job and I'm not an employee of AGSI, so if you post something and I didn't get to it immediately please understand I have some limitations on the time I can devote to this. Also I have to make a start on the "List".

Cheers

Darren Buckley

Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: Shemar

I can also confirm that there is an issue with bombs. I tested using F15E Strike Eagles using Mk83 Iron Bombs against a large hangar and in most cases I could not get them to drop the bombs. I tried using a strike mission, using target intercept and manual fly overs and weapon releases. In all cases but two (both manual release) no bombs were dropped.

I used the HUD3 database and the 3.9 (Final) version of the game. As always the test scenario is availabe upon request, although I don't think this one will be hard to reproduce.

Thanks Shemar,

I just ran Tutorial VI using the HUD3, and found the same issue. I managed to drop some Rockeyes manually, but no luck with iron bombs [&:]. I'll talk to Russell as soon as and see about getting this dealt with.

Cheers

Darren

Bucks

RE: 3rd Party Known ANW Issues: 11.> Opening 3.6.3 scen causes crash

Post by Bucks »

[*]11.> Opening 3.6.3 scen causes crash

Opening this scenario in ANW causes Crash. Scenario opens and runs fine in H3.6.3

I've tried the link to this test scen, and it returns a 404 so maybe if we can actually get hold of the file so I can test it for myself?

ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND
Oops! Looks like the page you're looking for was moved or never existed.
Make sure you typed the correct URL or followed a valid link.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Return to “Harpoon 3 ANW Support”