weird error problem

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
Phatguy

weird error problem

Post by Phatguy »

hey,

I got this strange problem....

I just had a new hardrive put in. A 500gb maxtor Sata II. Been reinstalling old and new favorites I had to delete from my dinky 80gb drives so I could play new stuff. The following is a problem I'm getting on a LOT of different games. The only one that installed hitch free was commander-EAW.(even this one crashes every now and then) Mind you, I had this issue on not just Matrix games..

This is the error i'm getting:

crc error the file............ doesn't match the file in the setup.cab file.The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted Contact your software vendor.

The first time it happened I figured it might be a problem on one of the install disks and put that aside while I went ahead on the rest. Same problem persists on about 80% of my install attempts.. It can't be all those game disks just went to crap, can it?

any help would be greatly appreciated even though some of the games aren't Matrix. I'm hoping someone here has had similar problems in the past and figured out what was wrong.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Phatguy

RE: weird error problem

Post by Phatguy »

After a lot of delving and hanging out in the seedy back alleys of the internet I have come up with a answer to my dilemna.. The VIA controller hated my Maxtor 50ogb drive. For some strange reason it was ok with my other Maxtor drivres(barracuda,diamond) but not this new one. Got a WD 500gb one and so far so good.

So a warning to those who might have this problem after installing a Maxtor-check what kind of controller you have....
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”