Three Cheers for Jason Pethro

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Arkady

RE: Three Cheers for Jason Pethro

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: Dumnorix

Which I am to still say to it. Free expression of opinion does not seem to give it in the country of the unlimited possibilities to no more.

Was soll ich dazu noch sagen.
Freie Meinungsäußerung scheint es ja im Land der unbegrenzten Möglichkeiten nicht mehr zu geben.

H.Balck
you confuse terms "free expression" and "verbal attack" [;)]

and as I'm not u.s. citizen, words about free expression from german mouth here in europe brings some historic association to me...
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I want to express my thanks to Jason as well. 

On other matters, freedom of expression, at least in the US, is the right to express yourself without the Government's compelling you to keep your opinions to yourself.  No government is telling anyone to keep quiet.  No right to freedom of expression is in play.

In the US, the freedom of expression is valued because it is believed to be the best way to get to the truth or, alternatively, the best way to air out all the competing factors and to evaluate them.  Freedom of expression works best when punches aren't pulled.  In theory, if you express a stupid idea, it will be exposed as stupid.  A person losing the battle of ideas can't complain that his freedom of expression is being surpressed by contrary views.  The person losing the battle of ideas is reaping the rewards of the freedom of expression  -- his ideas are being exposed as faulty. 

Civility is what is at issue here.  After reading some posts, I have the impression I've just witnessed the forum equivalent of a mugging or an assault.  It's possible to disagree without being abusive or insulting.  If abuse and insults are the cards someone plays, it's almost a sure sign the person has nothing substantively to back him up.  (When you have the law on your side, you argue the law.  When you have the facts on your side, you argue the facts.  When you have neither the law nor the facts on your side, you just argue.)

Back to Jason, notwithstanding the bumpy ride, Jason has remained courteous, patient, and dedicated.  You can express a complaint without having to worry about being disrespected or the target of abuse on the forum.  I think basically the rebirth of CS became largely a one-man show by someone who hasn't been in this line of work before and who is learning as he goes.  It takes a lot of courage and dedication to do that, and Jason has shown both courage and dedication.  I think this is a great thread to give credit where credit is due.

So three cheers to Jason Petho. (It's Petho, not Pethro, isn't it?)
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Freedom of expression does not exist on a forum. A forum is a privately-owned website, in this case owned by Matrix Games. They have rules and regulations that EVERY person agrees to abide by. Violate the rules and you CAN be ejected from that forum. Even freedom of speech is regulated in the USA. Don't think so? Go into a movie theater and yell FIRE and see how quick you get arrested. BTW...this forum is read all over the world...not just inside the United States.
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
Legionaer

Post by Legionaer »

Gentlemen,

for this new engineer features i wait since the release of the JTCS ME!!! Congratulations Jason!!!

Stefan
I create and revise: OoB´s, ToE´s, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (forever CWE!) Working on OoB´s for the new CSCW and scenario playtesting for the Beta Brigade.
Tiger88_slith

Post by Tiger88_slith »

I totally appreciate Jason for his dedication and all of his hard work for the JTCS game!! In fact - the entire beta team that's working hard on our next patch - my many thanks for your efforts!

On a side note - I cannot tell you - how Freak'n sick I am too see Dumnorix postings all over this message board - touting his mode, how it's this and how it's that....quite frankly - I do not give one rat's A$$ about it, nor do I even want to try it out. I wished Matrix would just ban this guy, so that the rest of us could live longer and healthier!

I do not mind at all - you posting in the modes section of this message board - there - I could just ignore the thread and not have to be annoyed by your broken english 99% of the time!

Just man up and post where your supposed to - would you?
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

ORIGINAL: Dumnorix

Oh ....Wauuuu
Build light hexside bridge, Lay Vehicle Bridge, Lay Mine field and Build a Barrier.
This are very very nice new features !!! I hope, this is all full funktionally and not write with an ResHacker-programm ! Than, I will give you many many respect for this new big features.

What is with lay trench ? How many rounds need the special pioneer-units for this new actions ??

It is possible to insert new graphicslots (Fords3d/4d/5d)for these new features. That would be very helpfully for my JTCS meets PG3D-addons!

Thanks Jason Petho - very good work

H.Balck

PS: I need new graphic-slots (500-1000% more slots)for all the bmp-graphic-files !!! Than I can produce a new map-engine like google-earth (1km-view).
Here are my ideas - I give this matrix-games for one year - for my dream JTCS meets PG3D:
http://files.filefront.com/new+Ideaszip/;9817665;/fileinfo.html

again heres the original statement - I find nothing here in any way negative except the postings from a few people determined to hound the poor guy off the forums. I see this every time he posts. At least 3 posts here have insulted him for his grasp of English.. I find that insulting and irrevalant as well. H. Balck for all the shortcomings I've been hearing on the forums behaves himself with dignity and respect. He doesn't stoop to personal attacks on other posters prosefessions or personal lives and doesn't insult people with English as a second language or ridicule them for trying to communicate with others as best they can. He stays focused on what he feels is important. And that is taking the CS system to new levels and creating a second generation of CS wargames much as steel panthers evolved into SPWAW. He does it because of Matrix's reputation as a user driven company - here at Matrix a person with a vision and enough dedication can really make things happen.

Back to the title of the post I think some of you need to get on track here. Jason himself would be the first to admit that the 1.03 is being way overhyped. It's primary goal is to fix mechanical issues and add some historical flavor. It's not a fix all all patch and it's not a revolutionary change in the way the game will be played like the ideas H. Balck has.
1.03 as a patch is simply intended to get us all back to zero. It's going to make the game stable and playeable and give the designers some great new tools.

THe question is where do we go from here? Where do we see CS going in the next 3-5 years and will Jason even be at the helm ? I wouldn't expect it from him - he has done his part. We need to listen to the visionaries like Balck with an open mind - If his ideas are extreme lets examine them and find a compromise in the interests of the game and the community. Remember Jason is a volunteer. Theres people with a financial stake in this game that are going to be making the big decisions about where to take the product - let's work on coming up with those ideas instead of slamming the guys that are because their ideas arent perfect or their demos arent made the right way.

Jasons qualities I already summed up in my first post and theres no reason to say it again. As far as I'm concerned he is a permanent part of the game. But dont build a cult of personality around him. He's done his part. Let him sit back and enjoy the game for a bit while we look at what we expect from the game and how we can help to make it happen. Jason is going to bring out v1.03 and make the game work, thats a given. Hats off to the lad. Let's stop sitting on our hands bickering and focus on v1.04 instead of creating a religon around Jason with H. Balck as the Devil.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen. It is appreciated.

ORIGINAL: Hermann
Where do we see CS going in the next 3-5 years and will Jason even be at the helm ? I wouldn't expect it from him - he has done his part.

I have been active with the Campaign Series since it came out in 1997 and don't plan on going anywhere.

The future of the Campaign Series is already in the works behind the scenes.

Jason Petho

Deputy

Post by Deputy »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen. It is appreciated.

ORIGINAL: Hermann
Where do we see CS going in the next 3-5 years and will Jason even be at the helm ? I wouldn't expect it from him - he has done his part.

I have been active with the Campaign Series since it came out in 1997 and don't plan on going anywhere.

The future of the Campaign Series is already in the works behind the scenes.

Jason Petho

Jason: Don't bother with these few pesky flies circling around the garbage dump. We know you are here to stay and we DO appreciate EVERYTHING you do for the sim and for it's users.

Hermann: Your hero worship is sadly misplaced. Let's see...you said "Back to the title of the post..." Okay....the TITLE of the post is "Three Cheers for Jason Petho". Now, where in the heck does it say anything about criticizing the 1.03 patch or listening to Mr. blah blah blah Balck and his pre-release criticisms. And if you can't see his criticism read this a few times over..."I hope, this is all full funktionally and not write with an ResHacker-programm"?
I'm not criticizing Balck's English. I AM crirticizing his opinionated know-it-all attitude and his OFF TOPIC comments. Let me try and get it through your thick head again....this is NOT a thread about mods or suggestions for changes. There are OTHER posts for that. This thread is about our heartfelt thanks to a guy that has busted his butt for the sim and those who use it. If you don't have anything nice to say about Jason, then DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!

Dep
Squad Battles
scottintacoma

Post by scottintacoma »

Jason,

Thanks for all the hard work on the updates.

[&o][&o][&o]

Scott in tAcoma

Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I don't know Jason personally but I thank him anyways for his hard work, he answered a question I had about the original East Front II game on his own instead of perhaps pushing me to buy the whole campaign series.
He is Aces in my book.
Thank you Jason Petho!!
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
timshin42

Post by timshin42 »

I say again. If Balck can come up with a complete, coherent, user friendly package then I will look at it objectively. Until then, his bits and pieces of this and that, requiring the user to change this and that, are just nothing but SPAM as far as I am concerned, all for some pretty so-called 3-D graphics? Right!.

In your apologia for his arrogant rudeness on the forum, you are very kind and forgiving, excusing him by a language problem. Don't read German, sorry. But I believe you are mistaken about that. His anger towards MATRIX, disrespect for the developers and testers of JTCS, and general arrogance come through loud and clear in any language.

Bottom line, some of his posts have been quite offensive to me and obviously I am not alone. Sure, if I don't like it, I'm free to not open his messages, so I guess I will just pursue that course.

timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"
Grell

Post by Grell »

Well done Jason.

Regards,

Grell
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Back to basics...Extremely well done, Mr. Petho. The thing that amazes me is how selfless you are about all this - and damned well-mannered too. I shall just say thank you again, and I hope you never burn out on all this, otherwise we are in a world of hurt (I mean the untalented, like myself.)

Well boys and girls, its back to the country of the unlimited possibilities. The bullcrap harvest is coming in and I'm over due in the fields!
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
coralsaw

Post by coralsaw »

One more thx from this corner of the world for Jason!  [8D]

/coralsaw
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
SilverRain

Post by SilverRain »

A salute from me as well, Jason.  Your tireless efforts are much appreciated..... I really can't imagine where we would be without them.[&o]
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

We'd be nowhere - that is where we'd be.

Is it permissible to offer a nugget of praise to Wyatt, Asiaticus, and the rest as well? All top notch. All heroes. All gentlemen. Their work is why I am not interested in hybrid concoctions with borrowed graphics and the such. I get what I want right here. It may have its flaws - and boy, does it - but the CS offers more than just a dry sim. It is a world unto itself wherein I have had many happy adventures. With what has happened already, I wait with baited breath for 1.03. I am in a paroxsymally delightful agony waiting on this puppy.

To all in the CS Legion...

I doff my beret to all of you and if I could drink I would put down a Guiness on your collective behalf...
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

ORIGINAL: Ladmo

We'd be nowhere - tthat is where we'd be.

Is it permissible to offer a nugget of praise to Wyatt, Asiaticus, and the rest as well? All top notch. All heroes. All gentlemen. Their work is why I am not interested in hybrid concoctions with borrowed graphics and the such. I get what I want right here. It may have its flaws - and boy, does it - but the CS offers more than just a dry sim. It is a world unto itself wherein I have had many happy adventures. With what has happened already, I wait with baited breath for 1.03. I am in a paroxsymally delightful agony waiting on this puppy.

To all in the CS Legion...

I doff my beret to all of you and if I could drink I would put down a Guiness on your collective behalf...

Very well said!!!! Image
Squad Battles
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Here, here!!![&o]

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Ditto!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Agreed indeed!

I praise the BETA Brigade and the CS Legion for all their efforts! Merely a flea in the tail of a bear, I am. Without their efforts, there would be nothing.

Jason Petho

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”