Question useing BS Builder...

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
Nite92

Question useing BS Builder...

Post by Nite92 »

I seem to have a problem. I've only been able to build one new battleset. When I try and make another, it trys to over write the previous one I made. If I choose not to over ride it, it'll save it as "battleset.res" in the C:\Matrix Games\HCE\BSBuilder\BattleSet\res directory. When I move the file from there to the main directory and try to load it from the scenario editor it won't load.

If I'm looking at this right, I'm only allowed to make 1 new battleset, and if I want to make another, I can only over write the previous one, thus losing all the work done in it?

What am I doing wrong?
TonyE

RE: Question useing BS Builder...

Post by TonyE »

Hi Nite,
     It comes down to swapping files in and out.  Another utility that didn't make it into the first patch is a HC Launcher program that will handle most of the tedious file swapping for the user.  The BattleSet Builder makes, as you've found, a battleset.res file.  When it auto-copies to your HCE directory the file is renamed hdsu.res.  When you want to try a different user created battleset you need to manually make a copy of that hdsu.res or copy it somewhere else, then overwrite when prompted in the BS Builder or rename that battleset.res to hdsu.res and copy it into the HCE directory.

Key tenets:
1. You can only have one custom battleset active at a time.
2. The custom battleset file name is hdsu.res.
3. You can swap in and out any number of hdsu.res files.
4. You do not want a battleset.res file in your HCE directory.

Yes, we need better documentation [:)]. 
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Nite92

Post by Nite92 »

Thank you, sir. That's exactly what I had started doing. Any chance that the limit will change so you can have more than one created BS active at one time? Purely an FYI question on my part. I'm quite happy with this setup now that I understand how it works.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

What would be best is to have some sort of DB/Battleset manager that will let you swap DBs and Bsets at will simply by running the launcher.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Nite,
     Yes, in the future there will be slots for four created battlesets and four new official battlesets.  Shark7 is also right of course, a HC launcher utility was started almost a year ago but wasn't ready to go along with the first patch.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Nite92

Post by Nite92 »

Very cool.  I love the Western Pacific Battleset that shipped with HCE...but I wanted to wage a war of the Pacific from SD to Tiawan.  I hadn't built a scenario in over 15 years, until the other night.  Hehe, amazing what a small addition to the game can do to someone.  Thanks guys...you've started dragging me into the deep depths of HC all over again.  Hehe...
SteveF2006

Post by SteveF2006 »

Quick question regarding the BS builder. I noticed that the break in the map is in the middle of the Pacific. Is there, or will there, be a way to have a battle set that could include the entire Pacific, rather that just 1/2 at a time?[:'(]
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: SteveF2006

Quick question regarding the BS builder. I noticed that the break in the map is in the middle of the Pacific. Is there, or will there, be a way to have a battle set that could include the entire Pacific, rather that just 1/2 at a time?[:'(]

Yup, eventually, BretM is going to take a stab at that (as soon as I prove to him it doesn't already work, which means he may prove it does work and I'm just doing it wrong).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”