Download not working

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
cgoddard

Download not working

Post by cgoddard »

Tried for last couple of days and all I get is 'connecting' for an hour and then give up.

Are there problems at present?
Terminus

RE: Download not working

Post by Terminus »

Looks like it.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Where are you trying to download from? The store or the www.matrixgames.com site? Is this for a purchase, a patch, or something else?

Terminus, do you have some kind of info I don't? I'm not aware of any download issues at present.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

Game from store and also the patch for it from Matrix site - neither ressponding
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

Download is for new game purchase - Larry Bonds Harpoon - Admirals Edition and patch is for same game.

Just purchased ANW Harpoon 3 as well and had major issues downloading that a few days ago
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Where are you trying to download from? The store or the www.matrixgames.com site? Is this for a purchase, a patch, or something else?

Terminus, do you have some kind of info I don't? I'm not aware of any download issues at present.

Hell no, I don't know anything. But I've been attempting to DL the HCE patch as well. It takes FOREVER to get started, and when it finally does, it tries to do a 280Mb download at less than 20Kb a second.
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

I will have to give up tonight and try again tomorrow
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Chris,

Ok, those downloads are going from two completely separate servers through two different mechanisms. I can confirm that both our FTP server for patches and the main online store are working. The store has customers downloading orders from it right now.

My first suggestion would be to check your firewall and security settings. Turn off your security software (if any) briefly to see if that's interfering with the download process.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

FYI, we did find something that was slowing down our FTP server just now, a recent change. We fixed it and our FTP downloads (for patches and such) should be back to their old speed now.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Confirmed. Downloading the HCE patch is now a mere 15 minutes, instead of six hours...[:)]
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

Tried again with firewall off - still no joy, Been able to download games in the past with same setup.

Will try again over the weekend
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

Has anyone got the patch link for Harpoon Commanders Edition working as all I ever get is ;connecting'.

Looks like I will have to wait for the physical shipment of the games because after 3 days on connecting messages the link is now broken for downloads.

I have never had this problem with Matrix games before - what is happening
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Chris,

This is not a general issue, we have tons of folks downloading from our store and patch server right now. I'm not sure what the issue might be, but it has to either be on your system or somewhere on the internet between you and us.

Have you tried a different browser? Have you tried clearing your internet files and resetting your internet security settings to default? Have you turned off any and all security software (not just firewall) to see if anything might be interfering?

You can also give a download manager like www.stardownloader.com a try if you like, just don't use the multiple streams as that can create problems.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Laramie

Post by Laramie »

Erik, I think the download problem may often be attributable to one item you mentioned - turning off the firewall. Despite having cookies enabled, and the ability to purchase and download games via your store, I could not download any file from Matrix - private or not...until I turned off my firewall - a very common one. This is not the norm at other sites in my experience and don't recall ever having to do this before, although I dl patches for quite a few programs often.

You might consider making the instruction to turn off firewalls much more prominent. It would save a lot of time and frustration on both the company and the customers' behalf. If the instruction is already present at the download locations, it isn't clear or obvious enough. Perhaps some of us are subaverage IQ or whatever, but the patch download process ought not to be an IQ test!
[:)]

CoreDuo E6850
MSI P6N 680i Diamond
BFG GTX260 216 cores - OC Maxcore 55
Forceware 191.07
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
WinXP Pro
2 gig RAM
Saitek X52 PRO.
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

Did try to download without Firewall on - seems to be a problem with FTP files and not any other downloads. I can replicate problem with other FTP sites so not a Matrix only issue it seems.

Trying to fiddle with firewall settings and Vista to see what setting is the issue. Did get the patch downloaded by using my XP machine,

Thanks
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Laramie

Erik, I think the download problem may often be attributable to one item you mentioned - turning off the firewall. Despite having cookies enabled, and the ability to purchase and download games via your store, I could not download any file from Matrix - private or not...until I turned off my firewall - a very common one. This is not the norm at other sites in my experience and don't recall ever having to do this before, although I dl patches for quite a few programs often.

You might consider making the instruction to turn off firewalls much more prominent. It would save a lot of time and frustration on both the company and the customers' behalf. If the instruction is already present at the download locations, it isn't clear or obvious enough. Perhaps some of us are subaverage IQ or whatever, but the patch download process ought not to be an IQ test!
[:)]

Some firewalls do have their own cookie blocker, apart from the one in your browser. So just checking that settings and bring them in sync with your browser will be enough. you can then keep the firewall running while you download things.
ramdoubler

Post patches as torrentlinks

Post by ramdoubler »

There is a problem downloading from matrix. I usually dont have any difficulties downloading from other sites using the ftp-protocol. I have tried to download from matrix using all the tricks in the bag for several games for months now without success.

Why not try other distribution methods ? Providing patches as http-downloads or torrent-files tend to be hassle-free. Torrentfiles are getting tremendously popular as patchingmethods for many games. Guild Wars completely depends on them. It also saves the gamedistributor (eg. Matrix) a lot of bandwith.

ramdoubler

RE: Post patches as torrentlinks

Post by ramdoubler »

[:'(] Lol, ... with a little help from my friends....

It was a little program called peer guardian that was the bugger and needs to be deactivated. It was installed ages ago and i had completely ignored it until a friend sat down with me to review the situation on my computer...  Got all the patches now, thanks [:D]

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”