How do I get my Marines off the beach?

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Steve Petersen

How do I get my Marines off the beach?

Post by Steve Petersen »

I don't know how to load them onto landing craft. Can't figure it out.
3rd Support Command: Sustaining the Line!
planner 3

RE: How do I get my Marines off the beach?

Post by planner 3 »

If the landing craft can come ajacent to the marines you can load them, if they can not get in close enough go to them, marines have web feet and can go to the landing craft. Another method is use a pier, pull up to end of pier and viola you can now load. You also may have to be in the same hex, but I can't remember which is which.HTH
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Steve Petersen

Post by Steve Petersen »

My Marines are at the water's edge but cannot go any farther. The LC are as far in as they can go. They are in adjacent hexes, but you cannot load unless you are in the same hex. Can't get them in the same hex. There is an Exit Hex for soldiers out at sea a bit, but can't get there from the beach.
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

is their a pier nearby ?  What scenario are you playing ?
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Steve, this makes me curious. The old 8.4 has an OOB bug that didn't designate Marine assault boats properly. Landing craft of other sorts should work fine. What exactly are you trying to do?

If this is a game scenario for Betio, and your troops founder on the reef, they will have to wade themselves in. If they end up stuck in the water, with nowhere to go, then those Marines are f*cked. You've botched the landing.

That being said, an amphib assault (under fire) is the most difficult mission in the game. Next to that is an opposed river crossing.
FlashfyreSP

Post by FlashfyreSP »

ORIGINAL: Steve Petersen

My Marines are at the water's edge but cannot go any farther. The LC are as far in as they can go. They are in adjacent hexes, but you cannot load unless you are in the same hex. Can't get them in the same hex. There is an Exit Hex for soldiers out at sea a bit, but can't get there from the beach.

Select an LC, have it face the Marine squad, click the Load button, then select the Marine. It should load form the adjacent hex. But you can only load 1 unit this way; hitting Load again unloads the loaded unit.
ImageImage
Steve Petersen

Post by Steve Petersen »

Using SPWAW version 8.403. I am playing Mega Campaign Operation Watchtower, Ambush: Matanikau River, Node 09, Battle 03C. I need to load the Marines on Higgins boats and get them to the Troop Exit hex at sea. No piers, but there is a land based retreat hex.

A really nasty scenario. To get the 1000 point hex (cannot be recaptured) you have to move your A0 unit their max for two turns to get it before the Japs. But in doing so you are going to lose some of your staff and get 0 points for the scenario regardless of the outcome. Apparently, the scenario is based on this patrol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Goettge

KG, I know what you mean about the assault boats. Last scenario I got to use them. Great cross country capability! [:D] And they sound like Deuce and a Halfs to boot.
Alby

Post by Alby »

Using SPWAW version 8.403. I am playing Mega Campaign Operation Watchtower, Ambush: Matanikau River, Node 09, Battle 03C. I need to load the Marines on Higgins boats and get them to the Troop Exit hex at sea. No piers, but there is a land based retreat hex.

A really nasty scenario. To get the 1000 point hex (cannot be recaptured) you have to move your A0 unit their max for two turns to get it before the Japs. But in doing so you are going to lose some of your staff and get 0 points for the scenario regardless of the outcome. Apparently, the scenario is based on this patrol:

KG, I know what you mean about the assault boats. Last scenario I got to use them. Great cross country capability! [:D] And they sound like Deuce and a Halfs to boot.
Steve, there was a patch for watchtower that had scen009 in it. (same as node009??)
perhaps you need that?
[&:]
You can get it here
http://enhanced.freeforums.org/spwaw-pa ... s-f21.html

Steve Petersen

Post by Steve Petersen »

ORIGINAL: Alby

Steve, there was a patch for watchtower that had scen009 in it. (same as node009??)
perhaps you need that?
[&:]
You can get it here
http://enhanced.freeforums.org/spwaw-pa ... s-f21.html

Thanks, Alby. I see that these patches are assumed to be in the General's Edition and I am running that already.
Steve Petersen

Post by Steve Petersen »

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

Select an LC, have it face the Marine squad, click the Load button, then select the Marine. It should load form the adjacent hex. But you can only load 1 unit this way; hitting Load again unloads the loaded unit.

That did it! Thanks a lot.[&o]

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”