Chinese Olympic Website features Pirated Game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Prince of Eckmühl

Chinese Olympic Website features Pirated Game

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Visit the Olympic website and check out the game titled "Fuwa:"

http://en.beijing2008.cn/funpage/

Then read about where it came from:

http://www.thepencilfarm.com/blog/2008/ ... lympi.html

All I can say is watch out Matrix! [;)]

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
marcusm

RE: Chinese Olympic Website features Pirated Game

Post by marcusm »

More likely the developers stole his code and the Olympics Committe are ignorant
to the fact. I suspect his cease and desist letter will have the desired effect.

It also says something about the qualities of Action Script code [;)]
Deus Vult.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Looks like his game with added designer drugs....ideal for the olympics
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I hope you're not surprised at this. The Chinese see nothing wrong with stealing other peoples' stuff and presenting as their own.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
ORANGE

Post by ORANGE »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I hope you're not surprised at this. The Chinese see nothing wrong with stealing other peoples' stuff and presenting as their own.
Well they will when they have stuff that can be stolen. Then they will be lawsuit happy.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

It is almost impossible to purchase legal software in Russia or China from reports going back more than a few years. His cease and desist order will do nothing, is my guess. The real pirates are the whole businesses that churn out thousands of illegal copies per day. I remember one game reporter going to IC's office ( IL2 etc. ) and having three or four street shops setup right outside their office selling anything in software you wanted.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

I don't know about the Chinese, but the Russians will DEFINITELY punish software piracy so long as the publisher is Russian. It's my understanding that EVERYTHING else is fair game. The moral of the story is that you need to find a Russian publisher for your proggy if you ever want to be paid by the Russians who may choose to use it.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
fengjian

Post by fengjian »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

no true.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Starforce is after all Russian :).
I think the whiners were from elsewhere.

If you think Chinese are alone in stealing intellectual property then you are wrong.
Just look at that Bee movie. Dreamworks blatantly stole the idea the original creators.

This is legio in the creative world I would say. Everyone steals and "re-inteprets".

Deus Vult.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

@ fengjian,

Hiya.. didn't know we had any Chinese posters here. At the risk of straying off-topic, which might not be a bad thing anyway, could you tell us something about the wargaming hobby there? Do many Chinese play computer wargames? Are some published there, maybe concerning conflicts which don't get represented in games by Western publishers, or do you mainly import games published by folks like Matrix, HPS and Battlefront?

P.S. Hope the winter isn't treating you too harshly; I see it's been a particularly bad one in China this year. [:(]
fengjian

Post by fengjian »

Hope the winter isn't treating you too harshly; I see it's been a particularly bad one in China this year.

Thanks Hetrston
Although the cold this winter, But now that spring is here.

Do many Chinese play computer wargames?
sorry,I don't know the exact figures.

do you mainly import games published by folks like Matrix, HPS and Battlefront?

I like the following:
Matrix-2by3: wir
hps:pzc
Battlefront:cm
Grell

Post by Grell »

Hi Fengjian,

That's great, glad to hear it.

Regards,

Grell
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

Personally...

I think there are far greater issues with China than whether or not they pirated a video game.

Ray (alias Lava)
SemperAugustus

Post by SemperAugustus »

I don't think piracy is a particularly Chinese problem, neither is intellectual property theft. Just think about the cost of a game vs average income in particular country, no one is going to spend a months salary on a game...

There are companies that have managed to survived in this kind environment:
Gamasutra article
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Starforce is after all Russian :).
I think the whiners were from elsewhere.

If you think Chinese are alone in stealing intellectual property then you are wrong.
Just look at that Bee movie. Dreamworks blatantly stole the idea the original creators.

This is legio in the creative world I would say. Everyone steals and "re-inteprets".

But not everywhere in the world makes it so easy to pirate, or has government departments running on pirated versions of Windows. The level of intellectual property theft in China effectively closes the market to legitimate copies.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

But not everywhere in the world makes it so easy to pirate, or has government departments running on pirated versions of Windows. The level of intellectual property theft in China effectively closes the market to legitimate copies.
Well I have seen pirated software in British govt organizations(no names) so noone is perfect ;).

I don't doubt you but I think that is one of the reasons why they are moving over to Linux and Open office in many Chinese govt organizations. That is in fact happening in many EU public organizations as well (including UK).

Deus Vult.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Marcusm
Well I have seen pirated software in British govt organizations(no names) so noone is perfect ;).

Stop trying to destroy my faith in the Britsih Government. I can't believe they would do anything unethical......[:D][:D]
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
Marcusm

Stop trying to destroy my faith in the Britsih Government. I can't believe they would do anything unethical......[:D][:D]

Probably due to weak software asset management rather than any devious plan ;). Plus many also have a very liberal approach to the term "shareware". This is probably the most common type of piracy in any corporation.
Deus Vult.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

I don't doubt you but I think that is one of the reasons why they are moving over to Linux and Open office in many Chinese govt organizations. That is in fact happening in many EU public organizations as well (including UK).

"No one is perfect" is a long way from what goes on in China where piracy and manufacture of fake trademarks ranges from actively encouraged to not enforced.

It's not one of the reasons for moving to Linux, that's a movement of servers not desktop clients where Windows is wholly dominant.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

"No one is perfect" is a long way from what goes on in China where piracy and manufacture of fake trademarks ranges from actively encouraged to not enforced.

It's not one of the reasons for moving to Linux, that's a movement of servers not desktop clients where Windows is wholly dominant.

Moving to Unbuntu fast as we speak (I sort of work in a firm with knowledge in this matter).
Just wanted to say that Public companies are notoriously bad at keeping track. Not because they can't afford it
but they lack will. It's very hard to be too hard on them as well becuaue they are damn good payers and solid customer base.

Deus Vult.

Return to “General Discussion”