Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #1

With over 7000 threads, a lot great material lies buried in the Darkest Reaches. These represent what the community has agreed are some of the best SP:WaW threads to date.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Flashfyre

Post by Flashfyre »

Homework Assignment #1

The US 17th and 32nd Infantry Btn landings and attack up Massacre Bay on Attu Island in the Aleutians.

A theatre of war not touched upon much. The Aleutian Campaign.......
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

WOW! I mean WOW!

What a great response, gentlemen! I'm thrilled to see so much interest. Those creative juices flowing abundantly now, huh?

And I read these names, I know you all to one degree or another.

Well, let's comment and answer a few queries here.

1. The scenario choices are quite good. A campaign on the 9th Armored during BoB would be a good. The poor unit really took a pounding at Clervaux all the way back to Bastogne. Another good one would be the 10th, with the various task forces and "teams" blocking the Germans.

THe Aleutians is great. Did one on that mad suicide charge at Attu.

The German advance 41 is another. These are all very good choices.

Tankhead, I did a series of 10 scenarios in SPI called SP goes to the Movies. I included...yes, Sahara. It actually played very well. Perhaps some old diehards remember that one. I also did two from Cross of Iron, one from "A Walk in the Sun," one from "Breakthrough," one from "Hell is for Heroes," another from "The Longest Day,"and a couple of Pacific ones too.

Some folks thought it was a dumb idea. Yeah? Well, people still write, 6 years later wanting to know where to get those scenarios :D.

In fact, here is the text (They had to be brief in SP) for that one. I'll attach it at the end, Rick. It can be done!

Historical or "what if"...hard question to answer. I prefer the former but have done both.

And here is an important point, very important!

Historical...what is historical? You don't have to research every tree on the ground or rock pile or have each squad leader's name to be historical.

And who would have all those facts? It's impossible.

In my mind a historical scenario is one which accurately portrays the feel of that moment with units as close as possible and terrain at least close to the original.

Don't get swept away with so much detail that you miss the purpose of a good historical scenario.

Does the scenario make me feel like Colonel Cole near Carentan when he orders a bayonet charge? Or Wittmann as he stumbles across a gold mine of targets, or the fatalistic charge of Russian tanks against better trained, more disciplined German panzer commanders? Does it have that feel?

That is the KEY to successful scenario design. The purist, of course, demands all "t"s crossed and "i"s dotted.

But don't feel that if you don't have ALL the facts you can't do a scenario. That is just not true.

I'll deal with this in more detail later.

You guys are good students. If you have your topic picked, begin to research it. Find books, internet sites, anything that will help you get information. If you get stuck, post a plea for help right here. I bet you will get an answer.

Now did I cover it all? I think so. I hope so. If I missed your point or question, remind me ;)

Okay Rick...here is the background..The Movie and The Moment (The scenario). The rest of you can read it if you wish. ;)

Wild Bill
===================
SAHARA THE MOVIE

The Movie

Released in 1943, the movie uses as a background the German offensive at Gazala in June 1942. A small group of American tankers of the US 2nd Armored Division were in North Africa at that time to gain experience in desert warfare. They too were caught up in the fighting.

The plot is built around the tank crew of an M-3 Lee tank named "LuluBelle." Its commander, Sergeant Joe Gunn (Humphrey Bogart), gathers up the two remaining crew members and heads south away from the Germans and toward friendly forces after undergoing an intense bombardment and being separated from the British unit to which they were attached.

Things are very confused as is often the case in battle. On the way Sgt. Gunn encounters a small mixed group of Allied soldiers. A British medical officer whose field hospital has just been wiped out by Stuka dive bombers leads them. Among the group are English, Irish, French, Australian, and South African.

After a discussion as to what they should do, the infantry group joins forces with the tank and they proceed onward. As they continue, they run across a Sudanese soldier with an Italian prisoner. They too join the group.

This polyglot group of ten is desperate for water and are led by Tambul, the Sudanese, to a water hole at Bier Kromma. Not far behind them are remnants of a German mechanized battalion, also desperately searching for water.

Once aware of the oncoming enemy force, the Allied group first considers blowing up the hole and retreating, but afterward decide to hold it against the Germans. Vastly outnumbered, they set up defensive positions.

A very intense battle ensues. Waco, one of the tank crew members, is sent in a captured armored car to find the Allied lines and return with help. The struggle is intense and finally takes the lives of all but two of the defenders.

German attacking forces are decimated in the successive attacks. But enough of the plot, the movie is worth watching, and the scenario is worth playing.

The Scenario

The scenario is built around the battle at the waterhole at Bier Kromma. The M-3 tank "LuluBelle" is dug in, as are the infantry against the oncoming Germans. There are three objective points that must be taken by the Axis forces.

Even though the German forces greatly outnumber the defenders (at about 10 to 1), they have little with which to combat the tank. Both sides stand about an equal chance at a moderate victory. To achieve more, you'll need good tactics and some luck.
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Major Ed

Post by Major Ed »

Here are 2 more sources for books:
The Military Bookman, Ltd.
29 East 93rd Street
New York, NY 10128 USA
www.militarybookman.com

They are a source of rare and out-of-print books. I was able o purchase a copy of Paul Carell's
Hitler Moves East
fom them.

Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
4880 Lower Valley Road
Atglen, PA 19310 USA
www.schifferbooks.com

The books they publish are usually each about a single weapons system, like
German Flak in World War II
. They also publish books like
German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front, 1941-45
Hope you find these helpful.
---------
" The critical factor for the small unit on the battlefield is its power to generate violence." -- Maj. Chris Keeble, The Parachute Regiment
Greg McCarty

Post by Greg McCarty »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill:
SCENARIO DESIGN-GETTING STARTED

...If you pick one, post it here. See if there are suggestions from others on that subject. Let's get started.

OK. One I'd like to do (again) is the defense of "village M" based on an actual action fought by a German infantry company.

It is taken from the pages of "Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia." I actually completed a scenario
based on this using the old SPI editor, and
some clever unit mods. It was tough, but managable. I submitted it to Novastar for
publication, but got no response. I think by that time they were struggling with internal problems. Anyway, with the current
SPwaw tools, it is much more feasable than with the original game.

In a nutshell: A German infantry company situated in a village at the hieght of the first Russian winter offensive is attacked by three (count 'em) three successive waves of Russian conscripts out of a forest at 1000 yards. Each wave numbering about 400 men. (whew)

The goals: 1. Survive the attacks.
2. Hold the village for
a period of time.
3. Withdraw gracefully
(if possible) with
force essentially
intact.

With the old tools it was quite a challenge,
but a little one dimensinal and tedious.

With the new tools I believe it could be downright dramatic!

Waddya think?
Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Thanks Wild Bill for the insight.

I'm watching the movies again :D. Yes I remember those scenarios you made back in SPI on the movie team and they were a lot of fun then. I will start to do the map soon. Need a bit of free time but it's coming soon time that is :D. I will save the text file for reference. Oh and lets no forget the German Ace they shot down and they took him prisoner.

Tankhead
Tankhead

Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Any book by Carell is a good one. An excellent writer. I have that one, plus Scorched Earth, Stalingrad, Foxes of the Desert, and Invasion! They're Coming! All great works, Major Ed.

The small company level scenario sounds great and with the reinforcment option, and timed reaction movement, plus victory exit hexes, this one would be perfect, Greg.

By all means do it...Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
ectizen

Post by ectizen »

This looks to be too interesting an opportunity to pass up. I haven't built a real scenario before, and don't have a particular battle in mind yet, but the apparent scarcity of scenarios featuring Australians (I checked a couple of places, and only found 2 - both came with 4.5) suggests that I'll probably be heading up to Papua New Guinea.

And the warning to not put ammo dumps on objectives only makes me want to try it! I think I'll be able to justify it ;)
ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W
GuntherX

Post by GuntherX »

Wild Bill Thank You :) Starting on Calais. A Tough German vs British Street Battle in 1940.
R.D.
adantas

Post by adantas »

Mein Oberst!, some time ago I was thinking about design a scenario and into my mind came the battle of Crete, Operation Mercury.
well, I got the manual and started to study how could I made it.
this topic is fantastic :D!!
I alredy designed a Scenario covering the battle at Maleme. here is the text file:
___Maleme's Hell*
_German Assault vs New Zeland Delay*
Maleme, Crete, May.21, 1941*
__________Turns:15*
_____Design: Alessandro Bismarck*
_______adantas@vesper.com.br*

BACKGROUND*
Crete was the scene of the largest German airborne operation of the war and the first time in history that an island had been taken by airborn assault.*
Afterwards, Crete was dubbed the graveyard of the Fallschirmjager, with 1032 officers and men killed, 1632 wounded and 1759 missing.*
The XI Fliegerkorps was responsible for ferrying the paratroops to Crete using 530 JU-52'S and 70 DFS-230 light assault gliders, all together 8100 Fallschirmjager were dropped on Crete, 1680 men at Maleme,

2460 men at Chania,1380 at Rethymno and 2360 men at Heraklion. As the battle wore on and casualty reports started to come into General Student's HQ it seemed that the battle was lost but
the allies made some tactical mistakes and withdrew from positions around Hill 107, overlooking the airfield at Maleme, which gave the Germans the upper hand and enabled then to land the desperatly needed air landing troops of the Gebirgsjager on the airfield.*
The allies pulled back in the face of constant flow of fresh troops and began their retreat, first southward across Crete and then by sea to Norht Africa.*
THE SCENARIO*
Her Oberst, you will lead a mix of formations composed by 1st Glider Detachment commanded by Oberleutnant Von Plessen, the 2nd Glider Detachment commanded by Major Walter Koch and airdrops from supporting units.*
Your primary objective is capture the airfield so we can send the 5th Gebirgs Division to support you.*
To achieve this goal, the 1st Glider detachment will land at the mounth of Tavronitis river and attack the western edge of the airfield.*
The 2nd Glider detachment will land at southwest and southeast of hill 107 and must take it at all cost.*
The minor objectives are the bridge over the Tavronitis river and the hills near it.*
You must expect stiff resistence but we will provide air support from Luftflotte IV, Good Luck!!.*

Sources:*
German Paratroopers,Illustrated history of WWII*
"Operation Mercury", Internet sources*

This scenario is already been tested by Siege Spieder and JR B.
I'm thinking to make a small campaing based at Crete invasion.

--------------
Senta à Pua!!!
Major Ed

Post by Major Ed »

I found the book "Storming Eagles" by James Lucas gives a lot of insight into the German development of their parachute troops and operations. It has a lot of info on Crete.
adantas

Post by adantas »

Originally posted by Major Ed:
I found the book "Storming Eagles" by James Lucas gives a lot of insight into the German development of their parachute troops and operations. It has a lot of info on Crete.
Ahh..sounds good mate, where did you find it?
I'm researching now for details covering the assaults over Heraklion, Retimo and Canea.
Any help will be very appreciated :D

--------------
Senta à Pua!!!
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

A very well written piece of documentation for the text file, my friend. Sounds good. You have the correct format also.

A couple of other books worth looking at are

Airborne Assault, Quarrie
Operation Mercury, Comeau

Each of you need to examine this example of just how to do a text file. Look it over carefully. The * or asterick is a break marker.

In fact here are a few hints. Use this template and make your own txt file. In fact, I would recommend copying this section and pasting into a text file. keep it as a guide for making your own text file.

Writing the introduction for a scenario in these games is a little tricky. Here is how its done.

-------------------
You use a simple text file editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. If you use any other more sophisticated program, you should always save it as a .txt file.

The Text File should include the following information with this sort of setup.

_____TITLE*
<space>*
__Type of Battle*
_Location and Date*
_____Turns: x*
<space>*
_Design: John Doe*
<space>*
Background and hints*

Read this over carefully. This is the usual order of information we use at the Raiders. Now in more detail.

The underscore (____)is used to move the text so that it is centered.
The Asterick ( * ) is used to create a line break so that the text is not all run together.

Now here is an example already filled out:

___SAVING PRIVATE RYAN*
<I always do titles in caps>
_German Advance vs US Delay*
Ramelle, France, June 10, 1944*
________Turns: 15*
__Design: Wild Bill Wilder*
___billw@matrixgames.com*
Background;*
Type in the background here. Make paragraphs short. Include hints if you wish.*
Don't write a book. Keep it to the point. Its very easy to write too much.*
Include sources if you wish.*

Now notice that I used the _underscore to center my text. Notice that the asterick separates sections and paragraphs and puts a space between each section.

To get an even better idea, open some of the text files in the game with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad.

When you think it is done, save it as xxx.txt in the SPWAW \Scen subdirectory. Save it with the same numbers (xxx) as the scenario it introduces.

Finally, always open the game and check how the text looks in the game. It may look good in the text file but the game may show it differently.
From there you can reopen the text file and make any corrections you wish.

Remember, your text file is your show window. It tells people just what your scenario is. It usually determines if people will play it or not. Do it right.
----------------

Remember there are three files you will need to have a scenario. They are scen.***.dat(the scenario itself), scen***.cmt (name of scenario that appears in scenario list) and scen***.txt (that is where your text appears).

There is fourth file scen***.rec which the game will make when you save your scenario. This one is one you don't mess with. The game does it on its own.
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Major Ed, heh,heh, I live 15 minutes away from Schiffer Publishing, great place, just spent over $300.00 a little while ago there getting some great reference on Soviet armor, German Panzerfausts/Schreck, Rocket systems, cavalry, much more!! Is trouble with so little distance between us though!! ;)
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

To look at the old Gyrene Warhorse you would never dream he was a book addict. In fact, he has taken over the bookstore his father, Walter Amos, started. It's another nice place to visit.

The only thing I truly hate about Schiffer books is that most of them don't have an index...ARGH!

Warhorse, got a URL for your store?...WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Major Ed

Post by Major Ed »

adantas;
I purchased it through the Military Book Club www.militarybookclub.com but I'm not sure if they carry it any more.

I just looked at the Military Bookman, Ltd. site and used their search companywww.abebooks.com. I did a search for "Storming Eagles" and came up with 38 people or companies offering copies priced from $18.00 (US)to about $30.00 (US).

Hope this helps.
Coachace

Post by Coachace »

Has anyone ever seen a scenario done based upon the movie Kelly's Heroes? Anyone think this could make an interesting small scenario?
adantas

Post by adantas »

Originally posted by Major Ed:
adantas;
I purchased it through the Military Book Club www.militarybookclub.com but I'm not sure if they carry it any more.

I just looked at the Military Bookman, Ltd. site and used their search companywww.abebooks.com. I did a search for "Storming Eagles" and came up with 38 people or companies offering copies priced from $18.00 (US)to about $30.00 (US).

Hope this helps.
Hello mate,
Thanks for the information :D, of course all help will be wellcome.

--------------
Senta à Pua!!!
adantas

Post by adantas »

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
A very well written piece of documentation for the text file, my friend. Sounds good. You have the correct format also.

A couple of other books worth looking at are

Airborne Assault, Quarrie
Operation Mercury, Comeau

Each of you need to examine this example of just how to do a text file. Look it over carefully. The * or asterick is a break marker.

In fact here are a few hints. Use this template and make your own txt file. In fact, I would recommend copying this section and pasting into a text file. keep it as a guide for making your own text file.

Writing the introduction for a scenario in these games is a little tricky. Here is how its done.

-------------------
You use a simple text file editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. If you use any other more sophisticated program, you should always save it as a .txt file.

The Text File should include the following information with this sort of setup.

_____TITLE*
<space>*
__Type of Battle*
_Location and Date*
_____Turns: x*
<space>*
_Design: John Doe*
<space>*
Background and hints*

Read this over carefully. This is the usual order of information we use at the Raiders. Now in more detail.

The underscore (____)is used to move the text so that it is centered.
The Asterick ( * ) is used to create a line break so that the text is not all run together.

Now here is an example already filled out:

___SAVING PRIVATE RYAN*
<I always do titles in caps>
_German Advance vs US Delay*
Ramelle, France, June 10, 1944*
________Turns: 15*
__Design: Wild Bill Wilder*
___billw@matrixgames.com*
Background;*
Type in the background here. Make paragraphs short. Include hints if you wish.*
Don't write a book. Keep it to the point. Its very easy to write too much.*
Include sources if you wish.*

Now notice that I used the _underscore to center my text. Notice that the asterick separates sections and paragraphs and puts a space between each section.

To get an even better idea, open some of the text files in the game with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad.

When you think it is done, save it as xxx.txt in the SPWAW \Scen subdirectory. Save it with the same numbers (xxx) as the scenario it introduces.

Finally, always open the game and check how the text looks in the game. It may look good in the text file but the game may show it differently.
From there you can reopen the text file and make any corrections you wish.

Remember, your text file is your show window. It tells people just what your scenario is. It usually determines if people will play it or not. Do it right.
----------------

Remember there are three files you will need to have a scenario. They are scen.***.dat(the scenario itself), scen***.cmt (name of scenario that appears in scenario list) and scen***.txt (that is where your text appears).

There is fourth file scen***.rec which the game will make when you save your scenario. This one is one you don't mess with. The game does it on its own.
Mein Oberst, I'm feeling honored with your comments!!! :D
By the way, if anyone will be interested to take a look at this scenario, just send me a mail.

--------------
Senta à Pua!!!
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi fellow students of the game. I have just sent a new scenario 'Wake Island' to a volunteer tester and am thinking of doing 'Malta' 1940 next. I have not been able to find a good map yet so if any one has one they can e-mail to me I would be gratefull. (something I can use to make a map for SPWaW) I am thinking of using the 'Folgare' Parachute Regt for the axis (Battle to be fought sometime between June-Dec 1940)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Hold on Mogami. I want to write you about this. Letter on the way...WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Return to “SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame”